SiouxSports.com Forum

SH Game Day

Mama Sue

Well hey, might be the first game in a long time where we made the better adjustments.  We needed this win so badly, congrats to the team, coaches and players, for getting it done under some true adversity when you throw a true freshman in there.  Need to figure out something on the ground though......Ufff.  

• Upvote 3

UND offensive coaches should be looking at the Oklahoma offense to see how to run from a spread. But that said, every running game starts with the offensive line and this offensive line simply can't run block. It hurts seeing an inside zone play and there's not a single gap to go through. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Feff said:

UND offensive coaches should be looking at the Oklahoma offense to see how to run from a spread. But that said, every running game starts with the offensive line and this offensive line simply can't run block. It hurts seeing an inside zone play and there's not a single gap to go through. 

Probably can't scrap zone blocking in the middle of the season, but that was seriously ugly....and they should damn near consider scrapping it!  

• Like 1

Danny's 3rd game as OC....I'm sure he is still figuring a few things out as to what he likes, what works, what doesn't etc...  Sure is a lot harder to call plays when you have almost no run game at all. 

When is the last time Cam ran the sweep, man that is one play we should have kept from last year.  

Great game and great win!

Totally agree we need to find a way to run the ball we cannot make a habit of losing time of possession.

I also agree on the second half adjustments, I doubt any one here would say we win with no run game and 3rd string (true freshman) QB.

Overall positive for me is we are looking more dynamic on offense which hopefully translates to recruiting better and quicker skilled players and good athletic/mobile quarterbacks.

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

Danny's 3rd game as OC....I'm sure he is still figuring a few things out as to what he likes, what works, what doesn't etc...  Sure is a lot harder to call plays when you have almost no run game at all. 

When is the last time Cam ran the sweep, man that is one play we should have kept from last year.  

Jet sweep is killer when used correctly.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Feff said:

5 guys to block 6 or 7 in short yardage will never work!  That isn't saying they are good but the scheme is flawed from what I saw today. This offense doesn't fit JJ at all!

I can't believe Sam didn't take a TO or shift out of swinging gate.  I just dont understand with the numbers matchup on the supposed A gap you snap that football......

I'm guessing Kett is back against EWU.  They said he wasn't cleared, but was trying to get in. 

11 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

JJ 14 carries for 20 yards.....Ouch!  I would have never thought that possible. 

JJ isn’t the greatest runner, he was a nice compliment to a great backfield last year. Seems like a great kid, but looks slow off the snap and stands straight up when he runs. Hasn’t gotten the greatest blocking, but 4th and 1 should be almost automatic for him. Seriously throw Noah Larson in on those, at least he plays with a bit more grit. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I can't believe Sam didn't take a TO or shift out of swinging gate.  I just dont understand with the numbers matchup on the supposed A gap you snap that football......

I'm guessing Kett is back against EWU.  They said he wasn't cleared, but was trying to get in. 

I think good chance Kett will be back as well.  Although maybe a little rusty if he's not able to practice much?  

Siegal is good!! 

• Upvote 2

It’s a win.  Und has a lot to figure out but they beat a respectable team.  The zone blocking weight loss thing is not working.  Run game this season had been horrible.  JJ isn’t the answer. Looks injured or worn out. He folded over on the 4th and 1 try. 240lbs and falls over by a shoe lace tackle????  Should of been automatic 1st.  Passing game still doesn’t involve the TEs. Wanzek is awesome.  Use McKinney more. Bubba is the most conservative/ nice coach in America.   Absolutely love love love our secondary. Sam’s WRs are legit and for the most part were shut down. Donnell is closing in on all American status. D line is getting better by the week.  The aggressive nature of this D can lead to mismatches and exploitation’s for opposing offenses.  It’s either on of off.   Sam found a rhythm with the qb run and exploited the D in the 2 and parts of the 4th.  Thank god for the 3 int’s.  Can’t lose any more qbs.  Punt return team......??????? Take advantage of the bye and get healthy.   2-1.  Need to go at minimum 1-1 in the next two.  

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

It’s a win.  Und has a lot to figure out but they beat a respectable team.  The zone blocking weight loss thing is not working.  Run game this season had been horrible.  JJ isn’t the answer. Looks injured or worn out. He folded over on the 4th and 1 try. 240lbs and falls over by a shoe lace tackle????  Should of been automatic 1st.  Passing game still doesn’t involve the TEs. Wanzek is awesome.  Use McKinney more. Bubba is the most conservative/ nice coach in America.   Absolutely love love love our secondary. Sam’s WRs are legit and for the most part were shut down. Donnell is closing in on all American status. D line is getting better by the week.  The aggressive nature of this D can lead to mismatches and exploitation’s for opposing offenses.  It’s either on of off.   Sam found a rhythm with the qb run and exploited the D in the 2 and parts of the 4th.  Thank god for the 3 int’s.  Can’t lose any more qbs.  Punt return team......??????? Take advantage of the bye and get healthy.   2-1.  Need to go at minimum 1-1 in the next two.  

All of our OL should be in the 300 -315 range. They should all be able to move just fine with that in space. I looked at Oklahoma's OL weights and all of there guys are well over 300 lbs running a spread offense 

• Upvote 2