SiouxSports.com Forum

SH Game Day

Mama Sue

Article in the Herald indicates that Ketteringham may have played today had something happened to Schuster.  I'm sure they are gonna put out there the players that they feel give them the best chance to win.  These coaches recruited ALL of the QBs on the roster..........

Schuster seems lake a gamer, a kid that isn't afraid to wing it around.  One of his best decisions was to slide on his 15 yard run.  He may not have every physical tool, but I saw some  smart decisions from him today.  Also saw a few tosses from him where I thought he was hoping for the best.  The INT was a bad throw, but the kid throws a nice ball overall I thought.  He was far from perfect, but from my seat seemed very confident.  Confidence can go a long ways.

I don't think we have QB controversy, Ketteringham will be the guy when he is healty.  But depending on the status of Zimmerman, I'd say we actually have depth at the QB position right now......

• Like 1

Remember saying Tommy Schuster should have gotten playing time vs Drake and was criticized for it because they didn’t want to waste a redshirt.  All the other QB’s are endorsed by out former Offensive coordinator.  Schuster always had Freund’s blessing and we need a QB with more running and draw capabilities and was a lat add under Freund when he surveyed rhe QB situation.

Too many college coaches almost automatically eliminate recruits under 6 ft for DI.

When a HS qB leads his team to a 6A Michigan title and most of the players and coaches single out Schuster, he must have talent and leadership skills.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sioux04 said:

Schuster's whole performance was eye-popping if you ask me, given it was his first college action and the situation he was put in.  

assuming he knew he was second string going into the game which meant he knew he needed to be ready...he completed about 50 percent of his passes and led them on two scoring drives in almost three and a half quarters.

this game was won by the defense.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Sioux04 said:

Schuster's whole performance was eye-popping if you ask me, given it was his first college action and the situation he was put in.  

Agree, the kid did great under the circumstances. I wonder if Mike McFeely took notice since he made a point  a week ago about the fact that the kid had zero DI offers other than UND and we have zero talent or depth at the QB position.  I will concede that UND doesn't have elite talent at the QB postion, but after today, I feel good that at the very least we have quality depth at the position........

Worst 4 quarter O line performance I’ve seen out of UND in several years. Yes JJ is slow and doesn’t fit this offense like I’ve mentioned many times before, but anyone can gain positive yards when there are holes to run through. Tonight, their D line had Instant free roam in the backfield on run plays. 

Schuster fits the profile of a solid QB but understandably needs some time to bulk up and catch up to the game speed. Kudos to that kid for being cool calm and collected tonight and moving the ball. Great to see that out of a true frosh. Great work by Freund finding that kid. 

UND defense kicked the crap out of a very high profile offense for 4/5 of that game and the 1/5 was only when they lost their muster on repeated field appearances and toward the end when they got over 75 snaps. All 3 levels were fantastic and the sack receipt-ants need to shake the DBs hands. Great work all around 

All 4 special teams units are an absolute failure and would be below average for a D3 school. Not one touchback, a missed PAT, poor punt return decisions (at least 3) and an absolutely undeniably horrible horrible punting performance. He should be cut and they should find a new in house punter immediately.  His average was below 34 YARDS and his long was 39 on 8 boots. Cripes! Those are JV football numbers. Find another FCS punter with worse numbers...(hint, you won’t find one). Most teams will average 10+ yards better than UND this season. That’s HUGE. SHSU’s punter had one more punt than Peterson did tonight but yet he out kicked him by almost 150 yards. That’s points on the board. 

Glad to see adjustments were made and that 3rd quarter won the game. Same OC as last season in that same scenario would’ve resulted in an L 100% 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Worst 4 quarter O line performance I’ve seen out of UND in several years. Yes JJ is slow and doesn’t fit this offense like I’ve mentioned many times before, but anyone can gain positive yards when there are holes to run through. Tonight, their D line had Instant free roam in the backfield on run plays. 

Schuster fits the profile of a solid QB but understandably needs some time to bulk up and catch up to the game speed. Kudos to that kid for being cool calm and collected tonight and moving the ball. Great to see that out of a true frosh. Great work by Freund finding that kid. 

UND defense kicked the crap out of a very high profile offense for 4/5 of that game and the 1/5 was only when they lost their muster on repeated field appearances and toward the end when they got over 75 snaps. All 3 levels were fantastic and the sack receipt-ants need to shake the DBs hands. Great work all around 

All 4 special teams units are an absolute failure and would be below average for a D3 school. Not one touchback, a missed PAT, poor punt return decisions (at least 3) and an absolutely undeniably horrible horrible punting performance. He should be cut and they should find a new in house punter immediately.  His average was below 34 YARDS and his long was 39 on 8 boots. Cripes! Those are JV football numbers. Find another FCS punter with worse numbers...(hint, you won’t find one). Most teams will average 10+ yards better than UND this season. That’s HUGE. SHSU’s punter had one more punt than Peterson did tonight but yet he out kicked him by almost 150 yards. That’s points on the board. 

Glad to see adjustments were made and that 3rd quarter won the game. Same OC as last season in that same scenario would’ve resulted in an L 100% 

Why are you measuring a 4 quarter game in fifths? Just curious 

• Upvote 1

HOW on earth are we seeing the exact same kicking and punting issues that hurt this team so badly a year ago?! How does that go unfixed? 

Punting average under 35 yards. Gross. And if you just looked at stats you at least wonder if hangtime is at least good to make up for that? Nope. 

One, maybe 2 touch backs in 3 games? Probably averaging the 7-8 yard line? Gross

Already have a missed XP only the 3rd game in. And it most certainly played a factor in decisions being made late in the game. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Why are you measuring a 4 quarter game in fifths? Just curious 

Odd I know, but saying the UND D only dominated 3/4 of the game seemed a little shy..so I thought 4/5 was more fitting lol. I was thinking 3/4 made it sound like SHSU offense controlled for a full quarter combined but they didn’t quite 

14 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

HOW on earth are we seeing the exact same kicking and punting issues that hurt this team so badly a year ago?! How does that go unfixed? 

Punting average under 35 yards. Gross. And if you just looked at stats you at least wonder if hangtime is at least good to make up for that? Nope. 

One, maybe 2 touch backs in 3 games? Probably averaging the 7-8 yard line? Gross

Already have a missed XP only the 3rd game in. And it most certainly played a factor in decisions being made late in the game. 

what are the odds that if we had to actually punt with our punters feet on the endline that he gets that off and that it is more than 35 yards down the field. luckily the safety was the correct and easy call 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Didn’t get to watch the game, but listened to some on the radio, and got periodic updates online. Looks like the halftime adjustments were the best in quite some time. 2 TD scored and 0 TD allowed in third quarter after the second quarter was spelling trouble. 

• Upvote 1