SiouxSports.com Forum

SH Game Day

Mama Sue

5 minutes ago, siouxfb said:

I agree for the most part, but do think Maag has the best speed. We need to take some shots down field to him...we also need to get a small shifty wr in the slot when we have 3 or more wrs in the field. 

Maag may have the best speed of the 3 I mentioned, but that isn’t saying much. Need to keep finding ways to get the ball to guys with actual competitive speed; Boltmann, McKinney, Cochran, Griebel, and eventually Adeoti when healthy. 

Maag isn’t outrunning any DBs for 50 yards anytime soon. He is still a very good player, though. Great ball skills and jump ball ability. 

• Upvote 1

Just finished watching Midco’s replay of the game. It was nice to be able to watch for all the things people had been mentioning. My impressions:

sam Houston definitely isn’t a great team. They may not even be a good team. But we outplayed them for nearly the whole game, and that feels good.

our third quarter was superb.  Would love to see more of that. Most other parts of the game, we were the better team. A couple more things break our way, and we win by double digits. 

That being said, the end of the game sure was nerve wracking.  It would have been heartbreaking and devastating to end up losing. Glad the defense had one more big play in them. 

Very impressed with Schuster. Throws a nice ball. Able to stand in the pocket and get the throw made. Had great chemistry with Wanzek. Hoping that same chemistry develops with the other receivers. 

I am glad someone pointed out that special teams coverage was actually pretty good, even though the kicks weren’t deep. They deserve more credit this game than what we’ve seen in the past. 

We’re 2-1 going into the first bye, and that is  where everyone was hoping we would be. Get healthy and get smarter, and we’ll be able to give anyone on schedule a good showing. 

12 minutes ago, Nodak61 said:

As a former Offensive Lineman, it is hard to watch us not be able to run the football.  To me, it's an attitude thing and you want to wear teams down with a road grader mentality.  But, as I watched more, and started counting the guys in the box, SH consistently had more guys in the box than we could block.  Take the picture below, yes, I know it's a red zone scenario, but they have 7 in the box.   Blocking with only 5 lineman is not a recipe for success.  I'm thinking that SH wasn't going to let our running game beat them, they wanted a freshman qb to beat them... and he did!  Good win for the guys.  Something to build on for next game.  First, get healthy!

offense line.PNG

Throughout the game I made a point to count the box after we couldn't get anything going on the ground and on the roughly five times I counted they had at least one more guy in the box. The Rudy mentality would have been to keep pounding it and that would have failed. I obviously would like to see more production on the ground but it just wasn't there on Saturday. Let's learn from it and move on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nodak61 said:

As a former Offensive Lineman, it is hard to watch us not be able to run the football.  To me, it's an attitude thing and you want to wear teams down with a road grader mentality.  But, as I watched more, and started counting the guys in the box, SH consistently had more guys in the box than we could block.  Take the picture below, yes, I know it's a red zone scenario, but they have 7 in the box.   Blocking with only 5 lineman is not a recipe for success.  I'm thinking that SH wasn't going to let our running game beat them, they wanted a freshman qb to beat them... and he did!  Good win for the guys.  Something to build on for next game.  First, get healthy!

offense line.PNG

Would’ve been nice to see a few jet sweeps to one of our quick guys to stretch them out wide a few times

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Nodak61 said:

offense line.PNG

Thank you for your refreshing post. It's exactly what SHSU should have done. It was a good win.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

The more I watch the clips, the more impressed I am with Schuster.  Only one game I know, but he did not look like a true freshman who got thrown into a game unexpectedly.

Agree.  Was very impressed. Tell me how many games Kett has looked better in since her arrived than Tommy did Saturday? If Kett comes back UND has 2 solid QBs moving forward.....plus Zimm if healthy.

11 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

What's the opinion on the level of difference between Schuster and Grover? Obviously we're all hoping for Kett/Zimm (apparently unlikely?) to both get healthy, but just curious on people's thoughts. Sure would like to be able to save the redshirt on Schuster. Cedric Who???

I think Kett needs to stay healthy for Tommy to keep his red shirt.  Just Imo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

The OL push on the first play is amazing.  

You're right!  Looking at that in slow motion, we snap the ball in the 16 yard line, the OL pushes the whole DL back to the 14-15 yard line by the time Chappel hits the hole.   We had DII players and were pushing the FCS line of a decent team back,.  We do have 7 Sioux in the box on the snap though, but the OL still pushed their DL back. 

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Is that a problem in the current athletic program and especially football?  When was the last time a 6'5 270 lb frosh became a 6'5" 310 beast by the time he was a jr/sr.  Maybe my expectations are too high but I question our S/C development.