SiouxSports.com Forum

SH Game Day

Mama Sue

1 hour ago, Old School Guy said:

We showed grit; loved the opening drive to start the second half. Freshman QB looks like Keaton 2.0

Sam Houston had us on the ropes following that safety late in the game with the ground n pound but the QB for Sam Houston is awful. He can't throw on the run, and runs like a 80 year old lady.  They put the ball in his hands to make a play down the stretch. Lucky for us because we were on the ropes in the closing minutes. Much needed win at home.

Fans need to drink Red Bull before they come to the game and learn how to get rowdy and cheer from start to finish.

Keaton’s freshman year was not very good. This kid had a much better start. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Defense was on the field too much.  Need to find a running game to run clock with the lead.  Looked like some guys on defense were playing angry at the end, loved that.

I am not a fan of this smaller O-Line. I just don't know if they can sustain the run enough.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

A couple of things seemed to be missed by our experts here. We didn’t have any KO’s for touchbacks but we had excellent KO coverage. SH had to start inside their own 25 2or 3 times and I think only once past their own 30. We don’t have a stronger legged kicker but had great coverage on KO’s. We don’t have a great punter either. He averaged about 35 yds per punt but SH only returned one for a yard and our first 2 were inside their 20. We couldn’t effectively run the ball but on JJ’s TD, there was no hole and he bounced it outside and into the end zone. Our Off line didn’t run block but they did protect our QB’s especially the true freshman which was one of the keys to the game. There is room for improvement in all areas but our secondary play was excellent against some outstanding receivers, our LB’s played well and had 3 int’s,  and we had only 1 turnover with a third string true freshman, who was given great pass protection. Our KO and punt coverage was excellent. We need to keep improving and getting better each day/week/game.  We need to get healthy. We just passed a big test. Another one in 2 weeks. As long as these players and coaches believe in themselves and each other we can compete with everyone on our schedule. As Irish commented, they are learning what it takes to win tough games. They overcame losing starting QB, a missed XP, a late interception, and poor field position toward end of game inside our 5.  Go Hawks. 

Agreed with everything...but I think we did have 2 turnovers. One int and one bad snap. 

• Upvote 1

It was good to see a game out that we seemed destined to give away.  There have been the Idaho States and others where you left the building so completely deflated.  I wasn’t leaving euphoric, but maybe I left with a wry smile, knowing we survived.   Sometimes a team just needs to do that in the season.

Two things that I noticed.  Our snaps to our quarterbacks in the gun, are all over the place.  Typically low, but really not at all consistent. I think it at times as had a negative effect in the timing of certain plays...especially rpo’s.   That has got to be a concern moving forward.

Secondly, I’ve noticed with our QB’s that when they miss with a pass, they miss high a lot. Zimmerman, did early in the game and so did Schuster.  I understand we tall receivers and up in the air should be where they have the advantage but often times these where even too tall for our WRs to get.  Missing high too much is going to eventually end up being a deflection off our receivers hands and an INT.  I see it in all levels of football all the time.

I’m going to enjoy the win.  I’m still excited, because I still think this team can get way better.  Of course last  year the team didn’t really get better as the season went on...it may have even regressed.  But I’m an optimist, I’m hoping this team can keep on improving through finish line.  If they do that, it should put them in a pretty good spot at seasons end.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

Everyone touched on the poor special team play so i'll leave that alone. My takeaway is this: Tommy has some stones! When Zimm went down I really thought we would lose. The frosh is a gamer and I am glad we landed him. Also, what a time for a bye. Enjoy the gutsy win and heal up and work on getting better. EWU is a winnable game.

I was disappointed in the crowd. 

Hearing the announcer say “Ok Sioux (Hawk) fans, everyone in your feet for the third down” adds excitement... reading a flashing computer screen does not. You had to turn your eyes from the field to the monitors. Same for “Ok Sioux fans, let’s make some noise.” It adds to the experience. I think it keeps the audience engaged.... I am beginning to appreciate any athletic event that does NOT have those big screens. A high school near us had a12’ by 16’ one installed in their gym... I had bunk beds and a crib in a 12 by 12 room in our first house....

A good announcer goes a long way... keep the monitor but add the announcer back for some hype... just my opinion.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

Everyone touched on the poor special team play so i'll leave that alone. My takeaway is this: Tommy has some stones! When Zimm went down I really thought we would lose. The frosh is a gamer and I am glad we landed him. Also, what a time for a bye. Enjoy the gutsy win and heal up and work on getting better. EWU is a winnable game.

I was disappointed in the crowd. 

Every game is winnable on this schedule but if we play like we did in the first three games it will be a blowout. Without some big mental mistakes by Sam Houston and without a knock out performance by our D then we would have easily lost. Can’t count on EWU to do the same.

Kett better not be put in until he is 90%. It’s not like he is Aaron Rodgers. Let Tommy get to know the #1 offense lever the next 2 weeks and I know he will be better than a gimpy Kett. We will see what kind of coaching we have.

3 hours ago, the green team said:

It was good to see a game out that we seemed destined to give away.  There have been the Idaho States and others where you left the building so completely deflated.  I wasn’t leaving euphoric, but maybe I left with a wry smile, knowing we survived.   Sometimes a team just needs to do that in the season.

Two things that I noticed.  Our snaps with are quarterbacks in the gun, are all over the place.  Typically low, but really not at all consistent. I think it at times as had a negative effect in the timing of certain plays...especially rpo’s.   That has got to be a concern moving forward.

Secondly, I’ve noticed with our QB’s that when they miss with a pass, they miss high a lot. Zimmerman, did early in the game and so did Schuster.  I understand we tall receivers and up in the air should be where they have the advantage but often times these where even too tall for our WRs to get.  Missing high too much is going to eventually end up being a deflection off our receivers hands and an INT.  I see it in all levels of football all the time.

I’m going to enjoy the win.  I’m still excited, because I still think this team can get way better.  Of course last  year the team didn’t really get better as the season went on...it may have even regressed.  But I’m an optimist, I’m hoping this team can keep on improving through finish line.  If they do that, it should put them in a pretty good spot at seasons end.

As to the QBs missing high, gotta think the kid was full of adrenaline and just amped up on some of those. Also, agree that the OL did well most of the game in protection, but at times Tommy had to get rid of it fast. That may have caused some of those high passes too.

4 minutes ago, shep said:

As to the QBs missing high, gotta think the kid was full of adrenaline and just amped up on some of those. Also, agree that the OL did well most of the game in protection, but at times Tommy had to get rid of it fast. That may have caused some of those high passes too.

Missing high near the sideline or mid field with no one over the top is a safe throw in my opinion. Throw the ball where only your receiver can get it.

On 9/14/2019 at 4:48 PM, 90siouxfan said:

bubba's decision making shining through....

Yeah, Bubba’s decision making won the game for UND.

He made a great decision in taking the safety.

And you play the player who might be UND’s future QB. Not a hybrid QB-receiver. Tommy Schuster made plays. UND needs to keep all the speed on the perimeter it can; Boltmann is one of the few guys UND has with “speed”. As good as Wanzek, Toivonen, and Maag are in terms of competitiveness,  it is painful to watch them try to make plays in space and outrun defenders. 

On 9/14/2019 at 4:52 PM, westsidesioux said:

That entire empty section between the 20 and the 10 and the other sporadically filled sections look awful on tv

Need to move students over. There should be season ticket holder seating from 40 to 40, if not 30 to 30, on BOTH sides. Students get endzone sections. 

I honestly think the UND ticket office and the Alerus Center ticket office are ran by uninformed, apathetic rubes or young inexperienced kids, or both. Pure stupidity in how they run tickets and seating. Not to mention the logistics and delivery of tickets is poor as hell.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Need to move students over. There should be season ticket holder seating from 40 to 40, if not 30 to 30, on BOTH sides. Students get endzone sections. 

I honestly think the UND ticket office and the Alerus Center ticket office are ran by uninformed, apathetic rubes or young inexperienced kids, or both. Pure stupidity in how they run tickets and seating. Not to mention the logistics and delivery of tickets is poor as hell.  

The entire Athletic Department has been run like a high school for way too long. All that is missing is having baked goods available for purchase at the door.

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yeah, Bubba’s decision making won the game for UND.

He made a great decision in taking the safety.

And you play the player who might be UND’s future QB. Not a hybrid QB-receiver. Tommy Schuster made plays. UND needs to keep all the speed on the perimeter it can; Boltmann is one of the few guys UND has with “speed”. As good as Wanzek, Toivonen, and Maag are in terms of competitiveness,  it is painful to watch them try to make plays in space and outrun defenders. 

I agree for the most part, but do think Maag has the best speed. We need to take some shots down field to him...we also need to get a small shifty wr in the slot when we have 3 or more wrs in the field.