SiouxSports.com Forum

SH Game Day

Mama Sue

7 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

assuming he knew he was second string going into the game which meant he knew he needed to be ready...he completed about 50 percent of his passes and led them on two scoring drives in almost three and a half quarters.

this game was won by the defense.

Defense was on the field too much.  Need to find a running game to run clock with the lead.  Looked like some guys on defense were playing angry at the end, loved that.

11 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

JJ isn’t the greatest runner, he was a nice compliment to a great backfield last year. Seems like a great kid, but looks slow off the snap and stands straight up when he runs. Hasn’t gotten the greatest blocking, but 4th and 1 should be almost automatic for him. Seriously throw Noah Larson in on those, at least he plays with a bit more grit. 

Completely agree with comments on JJ.  He does well when he is running downhill(2-3 yards beyond LOS) and north and south.  Lateral runs are not working with him at all. 

The same thought crossed my mind on that  last 4th and 1. Would Donnell or Noah give us a better shot of getting the first down.  

8 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Odd I know, but saying the UND D only dominated 3/4 of the game seemed a little shy..so I thought 4/5 was more fitting lol. I was thinking 3/4 made it sound like SHSU offense controlled for a full quarter combined but they didn’t quite 

Ha, I was just jokin with ya

12 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Completely agree with comments on JJ.  He does well when he is running downhill(2-3 yards beyond LOS) and north and south.  Lateral runs are not working with him at all. 

The same thought crossed my mind on that  last 4th and 1. Would Donnell or Noah give us a better shot of getting the first down.  

No they wouldn’t have.  

10 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Worst 4 quarter O line performance I’ve seen out of UND in several years. Yes JJ is slow and doesn’t fit this offense like I’ve mentioned many times before, but anyone can gain positive yards when there are holes to run through. Tonight, their D line had Instant free roam in the backfield on run plays. 

Schuster fits the profile of a solid QB but understandably needs some time to bulk up and catch up to the game speed. Kudos to that kid for being cool calm and collected tonight and moving the ball. Great to see that out of a true frosh. Great work by Freund finding that kid. 

UND defense kicked the crap out of a very high profile offense for 4/5 of that game and the 1/5 was only when they lost their muster on repeated field appearances and toward the end when they got over 75 snaps. All 3 levels were fantastic and the sack receipt-ants need to shake the DBs hands. Great work all around 

All 4 special teams units are an absolute failure and would be below average for a D3 school. Not one touchback, a missed PAT, poor punt return decisions (at least 3) and an absolutely undeniably horrible horrible punting performance. He should be cut and they should find a new in house punter immediately.  His average was below 34 YARDS and his long was 39 on 8 boots. Cripes! Those are JV football numbers. Find another FCS punter with worse numbers...(hint, you won’t find one). Most teams will average 10+ yards better than UND this season. That’s HUGE. SHSU’s punter had one more punt than Peterson did tonight but yet he out kicked him by almost 150 yards. That’s points on the board. 

Glad to see adjustments were made and that 3rd quarter won the game. Same OC as last season in that same scenario would’ve resulted in an L 100% 

Do you ever wonder what goes on in Bubba's head when a horrible situation that hurts the team happens repeatedly right in front of him (and one that has gone on for years) and yet he just plain refuses to make changes or deal with it?  Special teams is an area that has cost us in the past and is one that every fan over the age of 8 knows is a huge problem.  Yet even in a year that may be crucial to his future employment here we are again.  

• Upvote 1

Want to go another direction here before I give my thoughts on the game

Given what has happened in the first 3 games, did UND's decision on NOT scheduling a 12th game prove to be wise (guessing that next week would have been that game instead of the bye)  or that UND should have done it no matter what. 

My thoughts:

Defense was solid for most of the game but yes struggling with the mobile QB continues (has UND ever tried a spy for the QB?)

The adjustments were nice by UND in the 2nd half on both sides of the ball.

Tommy played decent for first time out and got more comfortable in the 2nd half.  He is a gamer.  

The INT was bad however, but I will give him credit by making an adjustment on the throw to Travis (although incomplete, he put to where his guy was going to catch it or no one was).

I've never seen a O-Line preform THAT badly.

The 4th and 1 play bothered me:  I understand why it was called,  but if you know that you have gotten ZERO in push all game long, why do you call that play?  They should have passed the ball instead (I know it didn't cost them the game but that was a dagger moment)

Huge 4th down stop, well done by Noah

Smart with Bubba to just take the safety but I'll echo what a lot of people had said, special teams were not great.  

They won the game, but they just don't know how to dagger teams and that has been something that has bothered me with Bubba forever. 

Still on track for the master plan

A) Undefeated at home 

B) Beat the tomato cans

Get healthy in these two weeks, figure out what adjustments need to be made on offense and defense, and get ready for a tough opponent in EWU.  An opportunity presents itself here to perhaps get a big road win. 

9 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Want to go another direction here before I give my thoughts on the game

Given what has happened in the first 3 games, did UND's decision on NOT scheduling a 12th game prove to be wise (guessing that next week would have been that game instead of the bye)  or that UND should have done it no matter what. 

At first I taught it was a mistake not playing the 12th game, but now agree a rest may be in the best interest with our risk of injuries in recent past.

10 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

My thoughts:

Defense was solid for most of the game but yes struggling with the mobile QB continues (has UND ever tried a spy for the QB?)

Tommy played decent for first time out and got more comfortable in the 2nd half.  He is a gamer.  

The INT was bad however, but I will give him credit by making an adjustment on the throw to Travis (although incomplete, he put to where his guy was going to catch it or no one was).

The 4th and 1 play bothered me:  I understand why it was called,  but if you know that you have gotten ZERO in push all game long, why do you call that play?  They should have passed the ball instead (I know it didn't cost them the game but that was a dagger moment)

Smart with Bubba to just take the safety but I'll echo what a lot of people had said, special teams were not great.  

They won the game, but they just don't know how to dagger teams and that has been something that has bothered me with Bubba forever. 

A) Undefeated at home 

B) Beat the tomato cans

Get healthy in these two weeks, figure out what adjustments need to be made on offense and defense, and get ready for a tough opponent in EWU.  An opportunity presents itself here to perhaps get a big road win. 

If they throw it on 4th and it goes incomplete, the call gets questioned as well.  Just need to figure out how to improve up front.  

Third game for these guys blocking a brand new scheme.  SHSU was not going to let us run the ball.  LBs were 3-5 yards off the line of a scrimmage.  

28 minutes ago, homer said:

If they throw it on 4th and it goes incomplete, the call gets questioned as well.  Just need to figure out how to improve up front.  

Third game for these guys blocking a brand new scheme.  SHSU was not going to let us run the ball.  LBs were 3-5 yards off the line of a scrimmage.  

It is a good thing they have two weeks to figure something out, I understand that it would have been questioned on a throw as well, but given that you have done nothing on the ground and their D-Line has been beating the o-line consistently, would you really call a run up the middle?

I won't dwell on it anymore.  They won, they are 2-1 and into the bye week.  Right on schedule so far record wise. 

5 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

My thoughts:

A) Undefeated at home 

B) Beat the tomato cans

This is my biggest issue too.  It’s like his “niceness” comes out when they start to get some swag or momentum.....than the ultimate giant momentum killer comes with his ultra conservative way.   You could feel it when und was leading 27-14 in the 3rd...bubba had thought its time to go to the way he knows best.  Never a killer instinct mindset ....nice is the word  . Not sure there will ever be a game where it feels comfortable 

He finally had had a great call with the safety however.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

It is a good thing they have two weeks to figure something out, I understand that it would have been questioned on a throw as well, but given that you have done nothing on the ground and their D-Line has been beating the o-line consistently, would you really call a run up the middle?

I won't dwell on it anymore.  They won, they are 2-1 and into the bye week.  Right on schedule so far record wise. 

A pass definitely would have been questioned if it went incomplete, however I'm thinking some type of sweep outside or a rollout pass or something would have been better since we had been getting nothing all day.  However when it's 4th and 1 normally an OC should feel comfortable calling any running play....just sad by the OL yesterday.  When I saw how we were lined up, it sure looked like it was just going to be a run by JJ and it wasn't looking good to me before they even snapped the ball.  

3 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

This is my biggest issue too.  It’s like his “niceness” comes out when they start to get some swag or momentum.....than the ultimate giant momentum killer comes with his ultra conservative way.   You could feel it when und was leading 27-14 in the 3rd...bubba had thought its time to go to the way he knows best.  Never a killer instinct mindset ....nice is the word  . Not sure there will ever be a game where it feels comfortable 

He finally had had a great call with the safety however.  

I don't fully buy into the Bubba being nice thing and letting off the gas.  I hardly doubt he said anything to Danny about letting off the gas on offense after we were up 27-14.  In fact Danny was still being aggressive which led to us throwing the pick that got them back in the game.  I do agree with the general notion of sometimes maybe Bubba being too nice and that the team sometimes doesn't seem to have the killer instinct.  However I don't feel we let off the gas on offense at all, I mean how could we....we couldn't run the ball to save our lives.  

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

At first I taught it was a mistake not playing the 12th game, but now agree a rest my be in the best interest with our risk of injuries in recent past.

I was in favor of the double bye all along, and it appears to be the right decision. 

• Upvote 2

We showed grit; loved the opening drive to start the second half. Freshman QB looks like Keaton 2.0

Sam Houston had us on the ropes following that safety late in the game with the ground n pound but the QB for Sam Houston is awful. He can't throw on the run, and runs like a 80 year old lady.  They put the ball in his hands to make a play down the stretch. Lucky for us because we were on the ropes in the closing minutes. Much needed win at home.

Fans need to drink Red Bull before they come to the game and learn how to get rowdy and cheer from start to finish.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

We showed grit; loved the opening drive to start the second half. Freshman QB looks like Keaton 2.0

Might be the biggest thing that came out of this game.  I for one had that oh sh*t feeling during this game....like here we go again....and thought our season may be borderline over (in a sense of realistic playoff shot) in September once again, but the team found a way to win with a true freshman and not being able to run the ball.  

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I don't fully buy into the Bubba being nice thing and letting off the gas.  I hardly doubt he said anything to Danny about letting off the gas on offense after we were up 27-14.  In fact Danny was still being aggressive which led to us throwing the pick that got them back in the game.  I do agree with the general notion of sometimes maybe Bubba being too nice and that the team sometimes doesn't seem to have the killer instinct.  However I don't feel we let off the gas on offense at all, I mean how could we....we couldn't run the ball to save our lives.  

We can disagree.  Und came out with a purpose and a more sped up offense beginning in the 3rd and they scored twice with ease.  Nice adjustments!  What happened after that?  Did Sam make adjustments that und was unable to recognize or just back to conservative ?  But yes completely agree with the run game.  The light hogs thing isn’t working.  They need their 30-40#s back next year for  mvfc play where 70% of  every d line in the league are talented big dudes. I don’t consider drake and Sam top d lines in the fcs  

My take on the game:  First, I see we can't kick the ball into the end zone on kickoffs, second, when was the last time we had a QB that started the season and finished the season without injury. Third, I was impressed with the Alerus in their pregame video and sound (very nice job), also glad the band got more music played than in past years. Fourth, why would Bubba call a run up the middle on a 4th down when on first and second down that play has barely gotten one yard, not good play calling. Lastly, crowd noise. Only 8600 of us doing our best yelling, screaming, clapping, banging the backs of the chairs doing what we can to keep SHSU off their rhythm...good job everyone. A good finish as we came out on top, our defense came to play, but our offense needs help. 

• Upvote 4

One thing I missed is an awesome sports announcer calling the players names after the play... some were called out, I think. I missed the expression and excitement of those announcing. Many times it was in the video screen and gave good info... but the momentum the announcer generated!!! He always said each player’s name a certain way....

loved standing on the third down again.... someone mentioned giving the crowd monster drink... I don’t need it!

• Upvote 1