SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- NDSU GDT 9/7/2019

SiouxFan100

30 minutes ago, AJS said:

Wanted to really let this game sink in.

• Special Teams: B. No huge mistakes, didn't do anything to hurt the team.
  • Defensively: C- I don't know if this will make sense, but they did a lot of the little things pretty well. 38 is too many points, but it's close to what could have been a pretty solid game (28-31 point range). Third downs (NDSU going 9-14) and the redzone (TDs vs FGs) were really detrimental.
  • Offensively: F: So disappointed. Only two games in, so clearly there is room to grow. 

This is my assessment as well.  Special teams did what was asked.  Defensively, we gave up the number of points I had predicted in the prediction thread (38).  Not going to win many games giving up 38, but hopefully this will be the most allowed all season.  Offensively, I thought we'd be able to put together 3 drives like the one in the second quarter.  My biggest hope is that Freund takes this game as a learning lesson, and we progress.

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

This is my assessment as well.  Special teams did what was asked.  Defensively, we gave up the number of points I had predicted in the prediction thread (38).  Not going to win many games giving up 38, but hopefully this will be the most allowed all season.  Offensively, I thought we'd be able to put together 3 drives like the one in the second quarter.  My biggest hope is that Freund takes this game as a learning lesson, and we progress.

We got blown off the line on both sides. That is not a recipe for wins. Johnson just isn’t big enough yet, I saw him get buried repeatedly. Great motor and twitch but just needs to get bigger. OL needs to gain 15 lbs across the board. We need 2 NGs that are a legit 300 to actually plug two gaps. We'll never sniff NDSU if we stay weak and small in the trenches. Nothing else matter until we fix that.

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We got blown off the line on both sides. That is not a recipe for wins. Johnson just isn’t big enough yet, I saw him get buried repeatedly. Great motor and twitch but just needs to get bigger. OL needs to gain 15 lbs across the board. We need 2 NGs that are a legit 300 to actually plug two gaps. We'll never sniff NDSU if we stay weak and small in the trenches. Nothing else matter until we fix that.

So was the off-season decision to get lighter a bad one?

20 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

NG is an issue.  But speed around the edge was there all day long for the Bison.  OLB never contained.   I also noticed the Bison filled the gap quickly when we tried to get around the edge.  I'm most concerned about our speed.

32 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

https://undfootball360.com/news/hawks-fall-to-bison/

Not too flattering but neither was score

The OLB’s didn’t do much in this game at all with the top 4 combining for 8 tackles total and only 1.5 TFL.

Brutal.  This pretty well sums up the major hole in the defense in this game, IMO.

For those who know more, were the OLB issues at least partially caused by the DL not taking up blocks?

8 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

NG is an issue.  But speed around the edge was there all day long for the Bison.  OLB never contained.   I also noticed the Bison filled the gap quickly when we tried to get around the edge.  I'm most concerned about our speed.

NDSU wasn't able to do much between the tackles. I agree that the speed around the edges killed us. Sam will see that so hopefully that is getting shored up this week.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Special Teams: B. No huge mistakes, didn't do anything to hurt the team.

So trying to figure out what was going on with the 2 straight penalties on the the extra point.  Illegal formation for too many people int he backfield?  I was at the game so I didn't hear the commentary about it.  I was sitting on the 15 yard line on the end they were kicking at so I had a great view of the line on all 3 kicks.  Only think I saw was the two players on each end were maybe slightly off the line.  Not sure if that technically counts as "in the backfield" as the ref stated.  Can anyone clear that up for me?  Because I was definitely confused by it (as well as our players out there on the field).

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So trying to figure out what was going on with the 2 straight penalties on the the extra point.  Illegal formation for too many people int he backfield?  I was at the game so I didn't hear the commentary about it.  I was sitting on the 15 yard line on the end they were kicking at so I had a great view of the line on all 3 kicks.  Only think I saw was the two players on each end were maybe slightly off the line.  Not sure if that technically counts as "in the backfield" as the ref stated.  Can anyone clear that up for me?  Because I was definitely confused by it (as well as our players out there on the field).

I think it was a guard who wasnt lined up properly if I recall.

12 hours ago, Hawkster said:

Well maybe we could get the presidents of the Mo Valley schools to vote NDSU out of the conference like the D3 schools did to St. Thomas.     Might be worth a try.

Elevating the stature of the UND football program and having a chance to compete and win, week in and week out, is a better strategy.   

• Upvote 4

Just now, Shawn-O said:

Elevating the stature of the UND football program and having a chance to compete and win, week in and week out, is a better strategy.   

I agree with you @Shawn-O I think UND football needs to make the next step and elevate the program. There's no reason UND football can't be a FCS power. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Yes it slightly irritated me, but mostly got over it. Much worse stuff at that game.

The chant "Sioux Suck Sh!T" is alive at the Dome.

"F'hawks" {and variations thereof) is alive at the game and on Bison social media.

The Sioux Suck chant over the years did us no good with the NCAA, even though is wasn't us saying it. This hockey poster doesn't even make the NCAA radar!

11 hours ago, bison73 said:

Strange.  I didnt hear that chant. Selective hearing. Of course I dont sit around many college types.  But I do have to admit that that sentiment was expressed in many conversations Sioux Suck Sh!t before, during and after the game. :lol:

But seriously why does it bother you? Youre no longer the Sioux. Youre the Fighting Hawks. Right? Why you never mentioned the use of F'Hawks, Fawkers, etc?

Typical Bison fan, whatever Bison do is OK: I never heard it, it was only too many cups of coffee, the Queen the week before was a packer fan, on and on.

"My point is this stuff is much worse than a poster held by our mascot that reads "Play us in hockey".

2950304+0B4mGrQ-jaMMQb0ZGTWRoSUJTYTg.jpg

matt.jpg

imagesBizonInMpls.jpg

Verses

33888.thumb.jpeg.f26d92bf22b2534570f2783e4baedae7.jpeg

tjBison is correct in that there are many things the UND staff needs to worry about before a Mascot with a hockey sign first.

On 9/7/2019 at 9:09 PM, iramurphy said:

Points well taken. I believe the Big Sky Championship in spite of the playoff flop bought them extra time. Over the Kupchella years we had a bright President who had very little interest nor understanding of athletics. Kelly had a better understanding but we wasted time and effort and resources dealing with the name and logo fiasco. It hurt his ability to focus his efforts in the areas of athletics where he needed to focus. His biggest blunder was failing to foster the Sanford relationship and offer of $10,000,000.  That was just “seed money” if you look at the tens of millions SDSU, USD,NDSU, Bemidji, Etc have received.  Look at the facilities at those schools and their communities. Kennedy was a politician who admired everything being done at his wife’s Alma Mater.  We lost the opportunity for Dave Fennell’s support when ‘Keefe and Harmon passed on Bollinger in favor of Bunning.  Faison failed to follow up on communication with Mayo Sports Medicine with regards to Phase 2.  You don’t need to convince me of leadership mistakes and missed opportunities with regards to athletics.  Will Josh Wynne help?  Chaves seems to understand our needs.  We don’t have anyone that I am aware of willing to provide the $50,000,000 necessary to finish phase 2 and provide the resources to double coaches salaries.  I believe that may be the source of our frustration and has slowed our progress.  

@iramurphy hits the nail on the head here.   Being on the outside looking in on the Sanford money has been troublesome for quite some time.   

Whining about the sioux suck stuff makes one a loser. A guy wearing a shirt showing the current und logo teabagging a cartoon of the old one is amusing.

An opposing team in high schools homecoming shirts said "shove it down their throats" and had a rather crude cartoon on it. None of us cried about it then, or four years later. 

A girl peeing outside in public is disgusting, but idk what you want the school to do about that. 

Shouldnt you be making sick burns with misspellings of bison...mentions of slipping...and getting some hype going about THE HAWKS NEST and whatever your goofy name for the Ralph is?

On 9/8/2019 at 9:57 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

So should we get his Heisman bust ready? :silly: This guy making the Heisman "watch list" is beyond ridiculous, particularly with the kind of athletes in the top echelon of FBS.

Honestly, it is a little concerning to read some of these comments. "Would love to see us get someone even close to that", "we won't play a better team than this again this year, so don't worry", and so on. It is like we are now accepting of the idea that all we will ever do is finish 6-5 every year with no playoffs and most of our wins will be against bad teams. It is very easy to get "used to" a negative situation and then accept it as the "new normal". It is human nature. But it is also a very dangerous trap to fall into. And we need to avoid falling into that trap.

I didn't say anything about getting his Heisman ready. I fully agree it is absurd, and he would not be in that discussion if he didn't have two NFL QBs that were at the school prior to him taking over. That being said, nobody can deny that the kid can plays and play well. He did his job against Butler, and he made our defense look silly on several plays, and he still have a ton of time to develop.

Are you implying you wouldn't want a guy like Lance at QB? It is a postition that has been poorly recruited for years. Studs was tough as nails and could run, but was horribly inconsistent and couldn't make several passes. Then the past two years, while QB hasn't been horrible, it has still be inconsistent and lacks that next level. Yes, I absolutely would like to see UND recruit better at a pivotal position.

That doesn't mean I am mailing in the season, this team could absolutely make the playoffs if things come together, but as we move forward I would like to see a more athletic guy under center. Hoping Freunds new offense can help attract some of that, but the guys that we currently have need to execute to do that. I think you are taking a simple comment or two and really stretching into something else.

I had 31.5 points.

Knowing that, my only concerns:

- How's Lenny Nelson IV? He took a bad downfield block in the first half. Seems to happen to UND safeties on that turf. 

- How's the health in general? Why was Grover not listed as the #2? 

- What did the team learn in that game that'll make them better for the remainder of the season? 

- What did the coaches learn that'll make them better? 

What' did I learn? I learned I'm right when I say "offensive linemen" and "win up front" (defensive linemen). 

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Typical Bizon little johny, and you come on here a few posts back to post about our Mascot with a sign about play us in hockey in how it is showed up on your social media. LOL! 

I mentioned seeing it on my social media feed yes. What are you getting at there, sport?