SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- NDSU GDT 9/7/2019

SiouxFan100

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I had 31.5 points.

Knowing that, my only concerns:

- How's Lenny Nelson IV? He took a bad downfield block in the first half. Seems to happen to UND safeties on that turf. 

- How's the health in general? Why was Grover not listed as the #2? 

- What did the team learn in that game that'll make them better for the remainder of the season? 

- What did the coaches learn that'll make them better? 

What' did I learn? I learned I'm right when I say "offensive linemen" and "win up front" (defensive linemen). 

My concern isn’t what they learned from the game so much as what are they going to do about it?  They should’ve  learned what needed to be done after the 2015 game.  This game only showed that they didn’t do much to close the gap.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

You're the one whining about the hockey sign, I was showing how this hockey sign is small change when compared. Go to Bozoville, they'll help you out.

I didnt whine about it AT ALL. I laughed about it, its beautiful. I never claimed it was a big deal either, but it sure makes a really good avatar for my boy vmeister.

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Can NDSU keep Lance?
You have to know some P5 FBS program is going to come sniffing. 

Well he knows getting drafted in the first round is just as easy playing for the bison as for any other P5 team so I don’t see why he would want to transfer. It could become a bigger possibility if he could Grad transfer. No way he would transfer if he has to sit another season.

24 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I had 31.5 points.

Knowing that, my only concerns:

- How's Lenny Nelson IV? He took a bad downfield block in the first half. Seems to happen to UND safeties on that turf. 

- How's the health in general? Why was Grover not listed as the #2? 

- What did the team learn in that game that'll make them better for the remainder of the season? 

- What did the coaches learn that'll make them better? 

What' did I learn? I learned I'm right when I say "offensive linemen" and "win up front" (defensive linemen). 

That block on Lenny was dirty in my opinion but not called. 

36 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I didn't say anything about getting his Heisman ready. I fully agree it is absurd, and he would not be in that discussion if he didn't have two NFL QBs that were at the school prior to him taking over. That being said, nobody can deny that the kid can plays and play well. He did his job against Butler, and he made our defense look silly on several plays, and he still have a ton of time to develop.

Are you implying you wouldn't want a guy like Lance at QB? It is a postition that has been poorly recruited for years. Studs was tough as nails and could run, but was horribly inconsistent and couldn't make several passes. Then the past two years, while QB hasn't been horrible, it has still be inconsistent and lacks that next level. Yes, I absolutely would like to see UND recruit better at a pivotal position.

That doesn't mean I am mailing in the season, this team could absolutely make the playoffs if things come together, but as we move forward I would like to see a more athletic guy under center. Hoping Freunds new offense can help attract some of that, but the guys that we currently have need to execute to do that. I think you are taking a simple comment or two and really stretching into something else.

I never said this; where did you get that idea? I was simply pointing out that any implication that an FCS QB will ever get within sniffing distance of the Heisman is utter foolishness. If Steve McNair couldn't win it after being on the cover of SI, then it is highly unlikely to ever happen.

My main beef is with UND's rudderless administration sitting on it's rear end for 10 years now, being content with the occasional conference title and not doing enough to invest in the athletic department so we can land kids like this. And if you have been reading my posts on this thread, you would know that.

23 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Appalachian St had its struggles in transition but is now the top team in the Belt, has been rated (a rare thing for the Belt), and has lost coaches to more opuluent programs.  Ga Southern and App St are the stars of the Belt.

A top team in the Sun Belt? That makes you one of the best of the lousiest (Copyright Dan "Common Man" Cole).

That's a long way from having "better QBs than nearly all FBS programs over the last 6 years".

Cripes, I could make so many memes out of that statement! ;)

3 hours ago, Goon said:

I agree with you @Shawn-O I think UND football needs to make the next step and elevate the program. There's no reason UND football can't be a FCS power. 

Agree as well, but I think it would help greatly if we started getting a few more recruits who have more than just DII offers.  I know there's players who get missed from time to time but come on.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

A top team in the Sun Belt? That makes you one of the best of the lousiest (Copyright Dan "Common Man" Cole).

That's a long way from having "better QBs than nearly all FBS programs over the last 6 years".

Cripes, I could make so many memes out of that statement! ;)

To bring some actual numbers to the conversation since you can’t seem to see how wrong you are here.

There are 130 FBS programs. I’ll quantify “nearly all” for you by saying top 10% is a fair definition of nearly all. 

So, name 13 FBS teams that had a better consecutive two QB situation than NDSU had in Wentz and Stick.

Of course there are some, but not many.

Here’s all the QBs that have been drafted.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I never said this; where did you get that idea? I was simply pointing out that any implication that an FCS QB will ever get within sniffing distance of the Heisman is utter foolishness. If Steve McNair couldn't win it after being on the cover of SI, then it is highly unlikely to ever happen.

My main beef is with UND's rudderless administration sitting on it's rear end for 10 years now, being content with the occasional conference title and not doing enough to invest in the athletic department so we can land kids like this. And if you have been reading my posts on this thread, you would know that.

Administration is more at the crossroads than the coaching staff, IMHO..... we need facilities, scholarships, and salaries for coaches.

Look at that non-public money in the Fargodome.... sponsorship after sponsorship.

The last game there (?year).... they were giving away free pizza coupons taped under the seats. JuiceU has progressed from that, for sure. Someone needs to start the infrastructure for us.....

They do need new turf... it is worn..... otherwise the technology, signs, and announcing all point to money from the community.

15 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Administration is more at the crossroads than the coaching staff, IMHO..... we need facilities, scholarships, and salaries for coaches.

Look at that non-public money in the Fargodome.... sponsorship after sponsorship.

The last game there (?year).... they were giving away free pizza coupons taped under the seats. JuiceU has progressed from that, for sure. Someone needs to start the infrastructure for us.....

They do need new turf... it is worn..... otherwise the technology, signs, and announcing all point to money from the community.

UND has some stuff to get sorted.  I posted in another thread about radio- UND can't even their games (football and hockey) on a radio station in Minot, the state's 4th largest city.  

6 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

... UND can't even their games (football and hockey) on a radio station in Minot, the state's 4th largest city.  

Find a station that'll work.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/locate?city=Minot&state=ND&locid=85706&dx=1&sort=freq 

28 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Umm...it was brand new in 2012, I belive it is exactly the same age as the Alerus Centers

Granted it has had a lot of games played on it between NDSU and HS, it's far from worn out

7 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Oh I did.  The combine radio was just able to pull one in.  Disappointing state of affairs though. 

Why is this a UND issue and not a Minot radio/community issue?  From my understanding... the stations in Minot all have and had and continue to have an opportunity to take UND Sports, they are apparently choosing not to.  That's a programming decision or a belief that local businesses in the community won't spend money for the local commercial breaks they are given to sell within a broadcast to build revenue from those broadcasts.  A couple of my companies have used UND radio not only the network- which is sold out of GF, but we've also bought time on a few of the various local stations that carry the games in various markets that we do business in, because they have inventory in every broadcast too, and that's how the local station like a Devils Lake etc...can make some dollars on it.  If people call the stations and say they want UND Football or Hockey, or even better-- potential sponsors go to them...enough requests stations would most likely consider it.  It's a dollar and business issue for the station/market. 

I've asked these very questions at sponsor parties I've attended...and get very forthright answers from those involved.  From my business perspective this really seems to be a Minot issue.  It sounds as if the  option has been and remains there if Minot stations want it.   You can't make a farmer plant a crop that he doesn't want to plant...just like you can't force a radio station to take something they don't want to take.  My only question is why isn't businesses in Minot with perhaps UND ties, coming up with the sponsorship dollars in a market like this? 

When I'm traveling in the east I tend to utilize the Eastern North Dakota stations, but I have turned to the app more to listen the further west I get.

1 minute ago, the green team said:

Why is this a UND issue and not a Minot radio/community issue?  From my understanding... the stations in Minot all have and had and continue to have an opportunity to take UND Sports, they are apparently choosing not to.  That's a programming decision or a belief that local businesses in the community won't spend money for the local commercial breaks they are given to sell within a broadcast to build revenue from those broadcasts.  A couple of my companies have used UND radio not only the network- which is sold out of GF, but we've also bought time on a few of the various local stations that carry the games in various markets that we do business in, because they have inventory in every broadcast too, and that's how the local station like a Devils Lake etc...can make some dollars on it.  If people call the stations and say they want UND Football or Hockey, or even better-- potential sponsors go to them...enough requests stations would most likely consider it.  It's a dollar and business issue for the station/market. 

I've asked these very questions at sponsor parties I've attended...and get very forthright answers from those involved.  From my business perspective this really seems to be a Minot issue.  It sounds as if the  option has been and remains there if Minot stations want it.   You can't make a farmer plant a crop that he doesn't want to plant...just like you can't force a radio station to take something they don't want to take.  My only question is why isn't businesses in Minot with perhaps UND ties, coming up with the sponsorship dollars in a market like this? 

When I'm traveling in the east I tend to utilize the Eastern North Dakota stations, but I have turned to the app more to listen the further west I get.

In my opinion, this is a two way street- UND has a marketable product and should work to sell it in the entire state.  The Minot area businesses are apparently not supporting UND because there is no market for UND's product there.  UND should develop that market and create demand for their product.  NDSU has quite a few more radio stations as well as a statewide television deal that is better.  NDSU has completely surpassed UND in marketing, product quality, and consequently, money and support. 

As a result, as Mama Sue notes a few posts above, NDSU now has loads of local and regional sponsorship that UND doesn't have. 

UND has to create a product and market it so that it is attractive to everyone in the state and consequently businesses will support it.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

In my opinion, this is a two way street- UND has a marketable product and should work to sell it in the entire state.  The Minot area businesses are apparently not supporting UND because there is no market for UND's product there.  UND should develop that market and create demand for their product.  NDSU has quite a few more radio stations as well as a statewide television deal that is better.  NDSU has completely surpassed UND in marketing, product quality, and consequently, money and support. 

As a result, as Mama Sue notes a few posts above, NDSU now has loads of local and regional sponsorship that UND doesn't have. 

UND has to create a product and market it so that it is attractive to everyone in the state and consequently businesses will support it.  

I agree that there has to be a product and they have to market it.  So you your saying "the product" is the "team", and the team had better win games...because that is the thing that is marketing NDSU's product.  Everyone wants to be attached to a winner.  That's easy marketing.  When my businesses are winning, everything is easy.  That's what it boils down to me.  If UND had just won 9 championships in a row...everybody is going to want to attached or associated with it... the marketing takes care of itself.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, the green team said:

I agree that there has to be a product and they have to market it.  So you your saying "the product" is the "team", and the team had better win games...because that is the thing that is marketing NDSU's product.  Everyone wants to be attached to a winner.  That's easy marketing.  When my businesses are winning, everything is easy.  That's what it boils down to me.  If UND had just won 9 championships in a row...everybody is going to want to attached or associated with it... the marketing takes care of itself.

Just for the sake of it, I will point out that UND has relatively recently won a national championship (hockey).  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

That block on Lenny was dirty in my opinion but not called. 

An illegal blindside block and corresponding bench penalty, OK, warning, was issued to NDSU on the same play in the second half.

Who took the brunt of that illegal* hit and what's their status? I'm asking for a friend named Zach Arnell ... 

*It was penalized, and thus, by definition, illegal.