SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Non-UND FCS Thread

northernraider

11 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Interesting. I wonder what the circumstances of the game were. 

The typical arrangement is pay for play for FCS schools to travel to FBS schools. Wonder if Yale paid Army to travel to them.

It was part of the 100th anniversary of the Yale Bowl(stadium). Yale and Army have been playing on and off since 1893, and their games were often some of the biggest games of their eras. I don't know if Yale paid Army, or if Army agreed to do it just because of the history and that they're a public institution. I do know Army needed a waiver from the NCAA to allow a win over Yale to count as a win toward bowl eligibility(since Yale doesn't officially offer scholies), though it didn't matter because Yale actually won the game in OT.

I can also remember WKU playing a couple FCS away games, but that was because they were transitioning to FBS or had just finished(like the scenario you guessed at before.)

10 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Army: Michie Stadium, 38000
Yale: Yale Bowl, 64246

Army averages about 31500.
Yale draws about 10000 (except for 50000 versus Harvard). 

Plain old seating logistics?  

7 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

https://goarmywestpoint.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=199

Army at Yale five years ago is pretty all I found.  Pretty rare.   

31 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

The typical arrangement is pay for play for FCS schools to travel to FBS schools. Wonder if Yale paid Army to travel to them.

There is an FBS going to a FCS in the next 3 years. Read about it recently. Will have to look for it.

5 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

How many schools are doing FCOA to the fullest extent in MVFC and Big Sky?  Is there a list?

And thats a problem because other schools wont spend that money?  Sounds like sour grapes or excuses. May be both..  Not NDSUs fault. No need to be angry.

40 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

26 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Army: Michie Stadium, 38000
Yale: Yale Bowl, 64246

Army averages about 31500.
Yale draws about 10000 (except for 50000 versus Harvard). 

Plain old seating logistics?  

Yale is Yale. Cant imagine the NCAA is ever gonna bust their balls considering their history. Ditto on Harvard. 

2 minutes ago, bison73 said:

And thats a problem because other schools wont spent that money?  Sounds like sour grapes or excuses. May be both..  Not NDSUs fault. No need to be angry.

Yeah, NDSU is funding the football stuff at a high level but I dont think its anything outrageous. 

I'd also venture to say football success is generally pretty well correlated with funding.

28 minutes ago, bison73 said:

And thats a problem because other schools wont spent that money?  Sounds like sour grapes or excuses. May be both..  Not NDSUs fault. No need to be angry.

OK.....I don't even know, that's why I asked.  I thought UND, SU, and the Jacks are and I don't have a clue if anyone else is.  I am guessing the Montana schools do too.

29 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

OK.....I don't even know, that's why I asked.  I thought UND, SU, and the Jacks are and I don't have a clue if anyone else is.  I am guessing the Montana schools do too.

Simple question.  What schools fully fund FCOA?  Must be a list somewhere.

10 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so undfootball's insta page shows a video of i think brock boltman looking very much like a quarterback.....nice work athletic department.

I'm hoping they have some packages installed where he throws the ball as it could be a well timed trick play later in the season.

• Like 1