SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Non-UND FCS Thread

northernraider

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Your entire post is one excuse after another. They are not a very good FB team right now. After previously losses to FCS teams they are going to hold back to keep from showing anything to another team. Every game played at the college level includes plays or wrinkles you haven’t seen or prepared for. If the other team has a new OC you prepare by looking at what he has done in past or who his mentors have been. One of my friends hit the nail on the head. Players were too tired to play cuz they spend too much energy rowing the boat. They need to sink the stupid boat and gimmicks and play better. They have a long ways to go if they are going to be better than average. 

They weren't a very good team Thursday night but I fully believe they will have a very good team this season. OC was hard for prepare for and they definitely struggled with the Jackrabbits offense. Give the guy credit he called a great game. NDSU fan I talked to said he took a lot of the 3 back wrinkles from NDSU and used the misdirection and wheel routes out of that formation like they do and it caused a lot of confusion for the young Gophers LBs.

Your friend didn't hit the nail on the head at all. I wasn't fond of the Row the Boat stuff when they hired Fleck but learning more about it it has definitely grown on me. It really is their culture and whether people want to think it is a gimmick or not it I guess that is up to them. It has definitely been a part in helping Fleck and the staff bring in the highest rated recruiting classes in Gopher history the last 2 years. Like I said I think they'll have a really good year and could even win the west with the schedule they have. They obviously can't play like they did Thursday but with how last year ended and the number of starters returning I'm thinking that was more of a slip up and not a indictment on how this team will play this season.

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

1938816796_ThatsMessedUp.jpg.e91c543c2b0cc643964a42ffc3510163.jpg

Why? Fell in love with UND hockey going to a game with a buddy who had a cousin on the team when I was a kid. Born and raised in northwest Minnesota and support my home state in everything else. Been to both UND and Gophers football games in my life too. Gophers and UND really only play at the same level in the one sport so it is easy.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Why? Fell in love with UND hockey going to a game with a buddy who had a cousin on the team when I was a kid. Born and raised in northwest Minnesota and support my home state in everything else. Been to both UND and Gophers football games in my life too. Gophers and UND really only play at the same level in the one sport so it is easy.  

Why? Here is why. Check out this article by the Star Tribune's Patrick Reusse about South Dakota State's very successful Division I move-up.

http://www.startribune.com/south-dakota-state-jackrabbits-coming-at-gophers-with-big-ten-commitment-backing-them/558338502/

This could be us as well. But it isn't because too many people don't give a rat's a$$ about any sport not played in REA.

Either we take being Division I seriously or we should think about moving back down to Division II and join the NSIC.

But by all means, keep rowing that boat! Maybe you'll finish in the top half of the B1G West this year. :silly:

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Why? Here is why. Check out this article by the Star Tribune's Patrick Reusse about South Dakota State's very successful Division I move-up.

http://www.startribune.com/south-dakota-state-jackrabbits-coming-at-gophers-with-big-ten-commitment-backing-them/558338502/

This could be us as well. But it isn't because too many people don't give a rat's a$$ about any sport not played in REA.

Either we take being Division I seriously or we should think about moving back down to Division II and join the NSIC.

But by all means, keep rowing that boat! Maybe you'll finish in the top half of the B1G West this year. :silly:

No doubt I'll keep rowing, I'd be disappointed with anything less than 8 wins this year and expect to be in the hunt for a B1G West title. 

8 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Just saw the UND 360 tweet. UNI jumps to #13 For losing to an FBS team. Quality loses are alive and well again this year in the eyes of the voters and soon the playoff committee 

I’ve never understood why this topic is such a sore spot on this board. 

They took a P5 team to overtime.

I’m not sure what UND is currently ranked, but you can be certain that if they take NDSU into overtime this Saturday they’ll make a large jump up in the polls, rightfully so if you ask me.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Just saw the UND 360 tweet. UNI jumps to #13 For losing to an FBS team. Quality loses are alive and well again this year in the eyes of the voters and soon the playoff committee 

So I guess we want to cheer for a loss this week. Losing to the #1 team in the nation should get us in the top 25 for sure!!:D

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

I’m not sure what UND is currently ranked, but you can be certain that if they take NDSU into overtime this Saturday they’ll make a large jump up in the polls, rightfully so if you ask me.

They went from unranked to #13.  They LOST.  That is insane

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

They should be. 3OT against what is supposed to be a good FBS team will do that for you. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

They went from unranked to #13.  They LOST.  That is insane

They took what is supposed to be a good P5 team to 3OT. I'm not a big fan of upping a teams ranking for losing a game, but I understand the thought process. 

If UND takes NDSU to 3OT next weekend, I expect you'd see a fairly similar jump from them.

Early season polls are a joke anyway. The coaches/media should follow the FBS playoff committee and wait until later in the year until people can actually get a feel for who is good this year and who isnt.

17 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The past 10 years of mediocrity is only the fans fault if you blame them for not being more up in arms about our program.  Many are willing to defend a .500 program.   The fault is squarely on the administration.  Ask yourself this - Would Muss have lasted 6 years at NDSU?  Would Bubba be entering his 6th year there?  Would Rudy have gone on for 5 years?  I think the answers to these questions tells you all you need to know.  Attendance and support issues are directly related to the product on the field.  Many games have been brutally unwatchable - especially with the 5 year reign of mind-numbing play calls from Rudy.  It is certainly time for more support and enthusiasm - but this needs to start on the field.  This week we need to show we belong on the same field as the AC.  Football/ hockey is not an either or situation.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

is iowa state school of ag really really a p5 with all their losses to fcs schools over the years....