Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
northernraider

2019 Non-UND FCS Thread

Recommended Posts

Based on the first three werks UND deserves to be in top 25, even if it only lasts a few weeks. BS on teams getting ranked for quality losses and weak schedule wins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Based on the first three werks UND deserves to be in top 25, even if it only lasts a few weeks. BS on teams getting ranked for quality losses and weak schedule wins. 

Meh, anywhere between 20 and 30 is acceptable, IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see ndsu was up by 3 scores with two minutes remaining and decided to run a fake field goal on 4th down.  They later punched it in for one more touchdown in the final minute. 

Classy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I see ndsu was up by 3 scores with two minutes remaining and decided to run a fake field goal on 4th down.  They later punched it in for one more touchdown in the final minute. 

Classy.

NDSU has hardly run up the score this year. They have a true freshman kicker that has a weak leg, Why take a chance at getting a kick blocked, a kick that has less than a 50% chance of being good? They didn't throw the ball at all that last few possessions with backups in. Do you tell your players to fall down when they get touched?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Based on the first three werks UND deserves to be in top 25, even if it only lasts a few weeks. BS on teams getting ranked for quality losses and weak schedule wins. 

OK, You beat the "number 24" team so maybe you should be number 24 yourself. SHSU is ranked only because they have a history of being a playoff team in  horrible league. The team UND beat yesterday if a bad FCS team regardless of ranking. I know your announcers were trying to say Schuster and Wanzek were beating Xavier Rhodes and a defense full of NFL players, but they weren't.

 

  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

NDSU has hardly run up the score this year. They have a true freshman kicker that has a weak leg, Why take a chance at getting a kick blocked, a kick that has less than a 50% chance of being good? They didn't throw the ball at all that last few possessions with backups in. Do you tell your players to fall down when they get touched?  

That didn’t take long :lol:  

To answer your question.  After the fake, you take a knee and end the game with class.   

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That last series by the bison tells you a lot about their program. Not a shining moment. Kick the field goal and after you fake it take a knee. The game was over. NOT classy. Not surprising. But they like to win by as much as possible. Important to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

OK, You beat the "number 24" team so maybe you should be number 24 yourself. SHSU is ranked only because they have a history of being a playoff team in  horrible league. The team UND beat yesterday if a bad FCS team regardless of ranking. I know your announcers were trying to say Schuster and Wanzek were beating Xavier Rhodes and a defense full of NFL players, but they weren't.

 

With how the MVFC teams are playing this year, it was a good win for UND.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

OK, You beat the "number 24" team so maybe you should be number 24 yourself. SHSU is ranked only because they have a history of being a playoff team in  horrible league. The team UND beat yesterday if a bad FCS team regardless of ranking. I know your announcers were trying to say Schuster and Wanzek were beating Xavier Rhodes and a defense full of NFL players, but they weren't.

 

Maybe, maybe not. I've always wished rankings were more fluid, since you learn so much each week and probably don't get a good idea till around week 5. I guess they should just have you create the rankings since you know so much about every team through 3 weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As is the case in the majority of fakes on special teams, it is a call that always has a green light if a certain defensive look is presented. You think a holder/kicker/punter is going to pass up an opportunity to run or pass the ball regardless of the game situation? No chance. The coach confirmed this in the post game press conference that it’s a choice on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

As is the case in the majority of fakes on special teams, it is a call that always has a green light if a certain defensive look is presented. You think a holder/kicker/punter is going to pass up an opportunity to run or pass the ball regardless of the game situation? No chance. The coach confirmed this in the post game press conference that it’s a choice on the field.

In addition to football, is a coach's job to also teach sportsmanship and gentlemanly play? 

Would you say the sportsmanlike, or gentlemanly, play was made in that case? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

In addition to football, is a coach's job to also teach sportsmanship and gentlemanly play? 

Would you say the sportsmanlike, or gentlemanly, play was made in that case? 

I wouldn't say one way or the other. 

Would you say the defense was going to try to block the field goal attempt? If so, then NDSU shouldn't play that play like a normal football play?

If I'm the Delaware coach and I found out somehow, maybe in a post game presser, that the other coach took pity on me and called off a play call to not hurt my feelings, I would be more pissed off at the patronizing approach than if he ran what the situation called for.

You'd have to do something pretty egregious to get me to agree that it wasn't "sportsmanlike' in Division I athletics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

As is the case in the majority of fakes on special teams, it is a call that always has a green light if a certain defensive look is presented. You think a holder/kicker/punter is going to pass up an opportunity to run or pass the ball regardless of the game situation? No chance. The coach confirmed this in the post game press conference that it’s a choice on the field.

Wow. So field position, time remaining, score etc don’t play a part in the decision making process on fakes the ‘majority’ of the time?   Only the ‘defensive look’ influences the call the majority of the time?  I did not know that. Thanks. 

How about after the successful fake with under two minutes to play and ahead by 3 scores; what’s the protocol for the decision making there for deciding to take a  knee and end the game in 3 snaps, or to decide to keep piling on points?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Wow. So field position, time remaining, score etc don’t play a part in the decision making process on fakes the ‘majority’ of the time?   Only the ‘defensive look’ influences the call the majority of the time?  I did not know that. Thanks. 

How about after the successful fake with under two minutes to play and ahead by 3 scores; what’s the protocol for the decision making there for deciding to take a  knee and end the game in 3 snaps, or to decide to keep piling on points?

Why do you guys even care?  Your petty jealousy is laughable.  I'd worry about EWU instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Wow. So field position, time remaining, score etc don’t play a part in the decision making process on fakes the ‘majority’ of the time?   Only the ‘defensive look’ influences the call the majority of the time?  I did not know that. Thanks. 

How about after the successful fake with under two minutes to play and ahead by 3 scores; what’s the protocol for the decision making there for deciding to take a  knee and end the game in 3 snaps, or to decide to keep piling on points?

I'm sure there's a lot of things you don't know about football based on your posts on this board.

The protocol for getting backup players real time snaps in a big game on the road and building confidence for what appears to be another long playoff run. I'd say the coach did just fine, thanks for your concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Why do you even care about what we think? Or our program in general?

One could ask that of this venue considering all the posts dedicated to NDSU.  :silly:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both fan bases will say whatever they have to to support their team. No one wants their team or coaching staff to look bad. But the reality of it is there was no need for a fake field goal in that particular situation. Say what you want but most people aren’t buying it. Not classy.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Both fan bases will say whatever they have to to support their team. No one wants their team or coaching staff to look bad. But the reality of it is there was no need for a fake field goal in that particular situation. Say what you want but most people aren’t buying it. Not classy.  

The holder made the call. With thT BEING SAID I have no issues with the fake FG. BUT if it were me I would have taken a knee after wards to run the time out.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Both fan bases will say whatever they have to to support their team. No one wants their team or coaching staff to look bad. But the reality of it is there was no need for a fake field goal in that particular situation. Say what you want but most people aren’t buying it. Not classy.  

Why can't you just disagree with the necessity of a play call without having to label it "not classy". 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bison73 said:

The holder made the call. With thT BEING SAID I have no issues with the fake FG. BUT if it were me I would have taken a knee after wards to run the time out.

I agree with this.

Being a Bison fan, obviously Entz will always get the benefit of the doubt with me, but I think it's important to consider that clock and game management is a relatively new responsibility for him. He's human, those types of decisions are made very quickly and it's easy to not get it perfect. Especially in the eyes of an opposing fan base that seems to want to make a mountain out of every mole hill when it comes to NDSU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

In addition to football, is a coach's job to also teach sportsmanship and gentlemanly play? 

Would you say the sportsmanlike, or gentlemanly, play was made in that case? 

Was Lennon sportsmanlike/gentlemanly when UND ran a fake punt up 34-0 against CWU or when UND ran a fake field goal while beating SCSU by 28?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

Why do you guys even care?  Your petty jealousy is laughable.  I'd worry about EWU instead.

Oh simple Dan......

I’m not on Bozoville; you’re here, on  Siouxsports. 

Tell me again who’s jealous.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...