SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2018-19

MoSiouxFan

29 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

It has come a long ways for sure 

I remember getting to UND’s men’s basketball games at halftime of the women’s game for decent seating.  At first it was very hard to watch, but gradually it got to the point where I enjoyed it as much as the men’s game,  if not more.  I would have loved if UND women’s hockey could have been viable financially, because watching Hockey Day Minnesota, I see a lot of improvement, and can envision the day that the Kendall Coynes’ won’t be an outlier, and more and more girls watching Jocelyn’s amazing Olympic winner will be inspired to up the all around level of girls and women’s hockey.  It won’t happen overnight, but the skill is getting better.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

has anyone explained the idea or rational that women's hockey has no checking?

I think there is still a gap in the level of skating and puck sense from team to team and player to player.  If you get some girls that have their head down, and get caught  by a good skater, it could get ugly.

2 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

Seriously?  Why are men basketball players better than women? Why are men sprinters faster than women?  Why can men lift more weight than women?  Why can men hit a golf ball further than women?

Many women should implement more checking into whose athletic endeavors as well?

Obviously men are faster, that’s the case in every sport. But why are women poor skaters compared to men? The Lammy girls are strong on their skates because they played with dudes that were checking. 

1 hour ago, tnt said:

I think there is still a gap in the level of skating and puck sense from team to team and player to player.  If you get some girls that have their head down, and get caught  by a good skater, it could get ugly.

Sounds rather sexist to me. Why do we need to protect girls from themselves?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

trainn.jpg

I'm not sure whether to reply to boxing out in basketball, checking in women's hockey and youth levels, or boys high school hockey......

That being said does Central have a team stay with three goals of them this weekend?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'm not sure whether to reply to boxing out in basketball, checking in women's hockey and youth levels, or boys high school hockey......

That being said does Central have a team stay with three goals of them this weekend?

if Central boxes out at a high level nobody stands a chance of beating them.  Right?

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Over under Mandan keeps Central under 12 

On 2/18/2019 at 8:54 AM, Wilbur said:

USA hockey taking away the checking from pee wee hockey IMHO turned Bantam hockey into a disaster.

The hunters:  Freshman aged boys who have a year of body contact under their belts and know they will get their chance to destroy someone in front of their buddies, which is the only reason their buddies came to a 9 AM game on a Sunday morning.  

The hunted:  8th grade boys who are still used to coming up ice with their heads down because they've never had to pay for it.  So they respond with flying elbows, crosschecks, punches, etc....

And then you as the official get to talk to the 21 year old (sometimes hung over) head coach of the offenders because he doesn't like how soft the game is getting......

Hung over I wish it was that nice. Some of those idiots drank during intermission. 

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Overheard a discussion last night central over/under shots....70 - 75 range?

Pretty reasonable conversation considering this GFC team is one of the overall best, if not THE best team ND has ever seen... playing against one of the worst teams to make the State Tournament for as long as I can remember. U.G.L.Y.

GF aviators would beat this Mandan team 5-0 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Pretty reasonable conversation considering this GFC team is one of the overall best, if not THE best team ND has ever seen... playing against one of the worst teams to make the State Tournament for as long as I can remember. U.G.L.Y.

Agreed. I really think this central team is special and will roll....but....

What a legendary moment in western ND hockey history it would be... if... 

Miracles do happen... 

20 hours ago, sioux rube said:

It’s being proposed. I was under the impression that is was a done deal that checking will not be allowed in 2020  

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0042/6381/QandABodyCheckingProposal2.pdf

I'm almost positive this was discussed last go around a couple of years ago and dropped.  There are things that come up on the agenda every year and don't go anywhere.  That said, this would be a disaster.  If anything, checking needs to be moved back to Pee Wees and some would even say Squirts.  Checking is a skill just like skating, stickhandling, and shooting and is one that should be taught from a young age, how to deliver a proper check and how to protect yourself and receive a proper check.  I guess Johnny Toe Drag will soon be making an appearance at the Bantam level now.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Aviators would be a top 8 team in the state each of the last 3 years.

30 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Agreed. I really think this central team is special and will roll....but....

What a legendary moment in western ND hockey history it would be... if... 

Miracles do happen... 

Mandan upset of Central would be the greatest upset in ND hockey.  Maybe even worthy of a road sign?

Holy Cross (over MN) owns the greatest upset in college hockey.

The world of sports is full of great upsets and hockey boasts some of the best.
http://allpuck.com/reliving-the-greatest-upset-in-college-hockey-history/

Image result for holy cross minnesota hockey

• Upvote 2