SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2018-19

MoSiouxFan

I would be extremely surprised if Paranica lets it get to 12-0 at a state tournament.

Wouldn't surprise me if they don't score in the third period.  Run time, line up slow, pucks deep, first line doesn't see the ice more than twice.

Can you imagine though if they didn't hit the breaks?  If their first line rolled all game long.....:huh:

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I would be extremely surprised if Paranica lets it get to 12-0 at a state tournament.

Wouldn't surprise me if they don't score in the third period.  Run time, line up slow, pucks deep, first line doesn't see the ice more than twice.

Can you imagine though if they didn't hit the breaks?  If their first line rolled all game long.....:huh:

You are talking about a coach who allowed his team to put up 17 against WFS earlier this year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

You are talking about a coach who allowed his team to put up 17 against WFS earlier this year.

If I were to bet I’d say they have 12 on the board after 2. There have been some lopsided matchups in the past but this one is right up there 

GRAND FORKS - Grand Forks Red River head boys hockey coach Bill Chase was placed on indefinite administrative leave last week due to “conduct unbecoming and unfitting of a high school coach, including a history (of) derogatory, demeaning, and intimidating language,” according to documents obtained by the Grand Forks Herald through an open records request.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/hockey/973441-ND-prep-hockey-coach-placed-on-leave-for-‘intimidating-language’

19 hours ago, SiouxBoys said:

Agreed. And I dont see them letting up at all.

In 1994 a Central team that had two Panzers and O'Connell on it (all 4 year UND players) lost to Fargo South in the title game when the South goalie stood on his head.  Anything is possible but it seems unlikely that anyone comes with 4-5 goals of Central because overall, the level of hockey has declined in ND.  Back then the RR's, GPR, and South's were always a threat.....not so much now.

43 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

In 1994 a Central team that had two Panzers and O'Connell on it (all 4 year UND players) lost to Fargo South in the title game when the South goalie stood on his head.  Anything is possible but it seems unlikely that anyone comes with 4-5 goals of Central because overall, the level of hockey has declined in ND.  Back then the RR's, GPR, and South's were always a threat.....not so much now.

I hear this all the time and I completely disagree that the quality of ND HS hockey has declined. 100%

You're simple minded if you see Central's domination and just chalk it up to everyone else sucking instead of actually paying attention to the HS hockey world. Central playing at such an elite level has masked the overall skill of ND high school hockey the past few seasons and especially this year which has caused people to just think the rest of ND is just down. Central would be a top tier 2A MN team this season no doubt and I think the next top 3 teams in ND would be top tier in MN 1A this season. Orono and EGF have both been ranked in the top 10 for 1A all season long, both cracking the top 5 at one point in the season. Central pummeled them by a combined score of 23-3. 

Any other season outside of the last 3, I think Davies and Century would have been state champion teams but the unprecedented elite Central teams have, and will again this year, keep that from happening. Hopefully things shift next year. 

ND has never produced as many D1 hockey players as consistently as they have in the last 5 years and it's increasing every single year judging by all the young commits and so many underclassman leading these varsity squads. Even outside of Grand Forks, kids from Bismarck(multiple), Williston, Minot (multiple), Devils Lake, Grafton(multiple) , Fargo (multiple) have all been playing d1 hockey at the same time recently. That has NEVER happened before. 10-15 years ago ND would produce 1 or maybe 2 d1 hockey players (sometimes 3-4 max) that would be playing at the same time and were rarely top 10 players on their teams. Yes there were some outlier years here and there, but generally, ND was barely producing d1 players, especially legitimate d1 players, and even went years having zero d1 players. Today ND is seeing 8-12 kids playing d1 hockey at the same time and quite a few of them have been and are key players. I only see this increasing judging by how many young ND kids who are already committed to d1 schools. Not to mention the AA bantam league picking up momentum, which I'd argue is going to be a collegiate player factory. 

Of the entire 101 year existence of the NHL, ND (born in) has only produced 15 players to play in at least 1 career game. Just this season 2 of them have seen time and scored points while two others are right on the fringe by playing in preseason NHL games and being in the AHL . I see the total NHL number rising to 20 ND born players within the next 5 years. 

Guys, there isn't going to be a miracle this afternoon.  Mandan beating Central wouldn't be a miracle, it would be some alternate reality.  Central will likely score more goals than Mandan's shot total.  A miracle could happen later in the tournament, but trust me it's not happening today.

As for Central's zero goals allowed tournament in '04.......the stuff this year's team has done is light years beyond that.  Beating the defending MN champs 10-0, outscoring a good EGF team 13-3 on the season, obviously the undefeated season, but none of the game's even being remotely close (the RR OT game wasn't close), the depth of the team, etc.

They could easily have a shutout tournament, probably won't, depends on goaltending, but I'll wager they will allow less shots on goal over the course of the tournament than the '04 team did anyway.

• Upvote 2

On 2/19/2019 at 1:56 PM, UND1983 said:

This conversation is peak hockey-guy.  Advocating for checking at the 10-12 year old level, like it makes a f-king difference in the long run.  Work on creating a free flowing skating type of game vs checking & mukin it up at the squirt level.

Its about long-term player development, and I couldn't agree with you more.  The NHL is a skaters league now, there just aren't big pylons out there with one purpose.  Yes, its a physical game with contact, and you need to learn to separate a man from the puck with your body eventually, but the focus at the younger ages should be heavy on edgework and stick skills.  You can never be a good enough skater.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I hear this all the time and I completely disagree that the quality of ND HS hockey has declined. 100%

You're simple minded if you see Central's domination and just chalk it up to everyone else sucking instead of actually paying attention to the HS hockey world. Central playing at such an elite level has masked the overall skill of ND high school hockey the past few seasons and especially this year which has caused people to just think the rest of ND is just down. Central would be a top tier 2A MN team this season no doubt and I think the next top 3 teams in ND would be top tier in MN 1A this season. Orono and EGF have both been ranked in the top 10 for 1A all season long, both cracking the top 5 at one point in the season. Central pummeled them by a combined score of 23-3. 

Any other season outside of the last 3, I think Davies and Century would have been state champion teams but the unprecedented elite Central teams have, and will again this year, keep that from happening. Hopefully things shift next year. 

ND has never produced as many D1 hockey players as consistently as they have in the last 5 years and it's increasing every single year judging by all the young commits and so many underclassman leading these varsity squads. Even outside of Grand Forks, kids from Bismarck(multiple), Williston, Minot (multiple), Devils Lake, Grafton(multiple) , Fargo (multiple) have all been playing d1 hockey at the same time recently. That has NEVER happened before. 10-15 years ago ND would produce 1 or maybe 2 d1 hockey players (sometimes 3-4 max) that would be playing at the same time and were rarely top 10 players on their teams. Yes there were some outlier years here and there, but generally, ND was barely producing d1 players, especially legitimate d1 players, and even went years having zero d1 players. Today ND is seeing 8-12 kids playing d1 hockey at the same time and quite a few of them have been and are key players. I only see this increasing judging by how many young ND kids who are already committed to d1 schools. Not to mention the AA bantam league picking up momentum, which I'd argue is going to be a collegiate player factory. 

Of the entire 101 year existence of the NHL, ND (born in) has only produced 15 players to play in at least 1 career game. Just this season 2 of them have seen time and scored points while two others are right on the fringe by playing in preseason NHL games and being in the AHL . I see the total NHL number rising to 20 ND born players within the next 5 years. 

I agree. Especially the western part of the state. 20 years ago the east more often than not swept the west in the first round and now there is at least one title contender out of the west. I don’t know if Central would win the MN AA title this year or not but they would be closest of any Central team to do so. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bang said:

I agree. Especially the western part of the state. 20 years ago the east more often than not swept the west in the first round and now there is at least one title contender out of the west. I don’t know if Central would win the MN AA title this year or not but they would be closest of any Central team to do so. 

Not to Mention Minot and BHS winning back to back titles before Central went on this run. That was only the West's 2nd and 3rd title, so that proves recent strength. Century being in the ship last year was also a first. 

If Minot and Bismarck can convince their kids to stick around longer, the west will get even better. 

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Not to Mention Minot and BHS winning back to back titles before Central went on this run. That was only the West's 2nd and 3rd title, so that proves recent strength. Century being in the ship last year was also a first. 

If Minot and Bismarck can convince their kids to stick around longer, the west will get even better. 

Bismarck and Century will now lose players to Legacy. If anything those 2 teams will be weaker moving forward