SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2018-19

MoSiouxFan

On 2/14/2019 at 7:24 PM, sioux rube said:

From what I’ve gathered is the administration had the parents backs but not the coaches. 

It's sounding like you have heard right.  I've heard rumblings that it got to the point where the administrstion was trying to dictate starting lineups and who should  play/not play to the Davies coach and he wasn't gonna have any of it.

54 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

It's sounding like you have heard right.  I've heard rumblings that it got to the point where the administrstion was trying to dictate starting lineups and who should  play/not play to the Davies coach and he wasn't gonna have any of it.

I have heard the same. Being a former high school hockey coach myself I probably would of done the same thing. Good luck finding a quality coach who wants to be a part of that mess 

Three of the first round games should be okay.  I played with the coach from Mandan, and I'm happy for him and his kids, but they don't have a chance.  Like zero percent.....Miracle on ice part 2????  

First round:

Central 8  Mandan 0

Bismarck 4  South-S 2

Red River 3  Century 2

Davies 5  Minot 2

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheFlop said:

That is beyond ridiculous. Parents need to chill out. If your kid isn’t that good you need to be realistic. They aren’t all all stars.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

You and the cronies got your lunch eaten by Fargo yet again, hosting five times in the next seven years.   

I like it at both venues but the Farmers Union rink is so much better to watch a game compared to the Olympic rink at the Ralph. Plus it’s closer to home. :)

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

With the attendance going down year after year you wonder if Bismarck or Minot may get into the discussion to host.  

Love the REA, but watching state tournament games in the Olympic rink flat out sucks.

I don't know about Minot but Bismarck doesn't have the quality of facilities to host state hockey.  Keep football and hockey in GF and Fargo and basketball out west.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:03 PM, Wilbur said:

Loved officiating too.  Was a year away from doing some local club hockey lines.  The worst part was parents coming up to me after the games questioning the rules and me having to explain that USA hockey makes the rules and we abide by them.  

After a while I just got the officiating rule book AP USA hockey created and would pull up the rule so they could see it. 

The best is when basketball parents start screaming ‘over the back’, which isn’t even a thing in basketball now. 

7 hours ago, NDSU grad said:

The best is when basketball parents start screaming ‘over the back’, which isn’t even a thing in basketball now. 

So what’s the equivalent call now?  Or can you just blow people up from behind to get a rebound?  Asking for a friend.;)

On 2/12/2019 at 1:36 PM, Wilbur said:

This is the hard truth.  I coached high school....parents terrible....  Quit coaching and teaching and got into officiating to help our youth program.....parents terrible.....

The last game I ever reffed was a 12U girls game that turned into a travesty when two girls hit each other head on with both their heads down going for a loose puck.  

God I hope I don't turn into one of those parents....

Last game I reffed was a bantam A game where the defenseman blew a tire and then proceeded to kick the attacking player in the back of the leg because he couldn’t regain his feet.  

57 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

So what’s the equivalent call now?  Or can you just blow people up from behind to get a rebound?  Asking for a friend.;)

The act is going over the back of another player, yes but the actual call isn't termed "over the back".  Its a push but the refs make an over the back motion with their arms so fans/coaches can understand what the call was.  Splitting hairs. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Last game I reffed was a bantam A game where the defenseman blew a tire and then proceeded to kick the attacking player in the back of the leg because he couldn’t regain his feet.  

USA hockey taking away the checking from pee wee hockey IMHO turned Bantam hockey into a disaster.

The hunters:  Freshman aged boys who have a year of body contact under their belts and know they will get their chance to destroy someone in front of their buddies, which is the only reason their buddies came to a 9 AM game on a Sunday morning.  

The hunted:  8th grade boys who are still used to coming up ice with their heads down because they've never had to pay for it.  So they respond with flying elbows, crosschecks, punches, etc....

And then you as the official get to talk to the 21 year old (sometimes hung over) head coach of the offenders because he doesn't like how soft the game is getting......

• Upvote 1