SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2018-19

MoSiouxFan

13 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

The act is going over the back of another player, yes but the actual call isn't termed "over the back".  Its a push but the refs make an over the back motion with their arms so fans/coaches can understand what the call was.  Splitting hairs. 

Having watched a couple hundred HS BB games over the past few years regardless of what the term is it's still a foul...........although it is being called less and less.

Similar to interference in HS hockey IMO.

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Having watched a couple hundred HS BB games over the past few years regardless of what the term is it's still a foul...........although it is being called less and less.

Similar to interference in HS hockey IMO.

Interesting.  I don't know why they would de-emphasize "over the back".  Seems like boxing out is a pretty important staple of the game, still to this day.  

20 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Three of the first round games should be okay.  I played with the coach from Mandan, and I'm happy for him and his kids, but they don't have a chance.  Like zero percent.....Miracle on ice part 2????  

First round:

Central 8  Mandan 0

Bismarck 4  South-S 2

Red River 3  Century 2

Davies 5  Minot 2

Miracle on Ice wouldnt even cut it. GFC's JV team would pump Mandan 5 or 6-0. 

First Round: This might be the best First round I have seen in awhile. The E1 vs W4 will always be ugly, and probably wouldnt have been AS bad if it would've been J-town but somehow Mandan squeaked in.

Central 12 vs Mandan 0 ------ Central will be trying hard not to make it worse than this

Bismarck 2  vs South-Shanley  4 --------This should be a tight one but SS has improved a lot in the last 2 months, I just don't see High getting past them. 

RR 3 vs Century 4  ---------This should be another great game, but Century is proving to be a top 3 team in the state and RR has only shown flashes. 

Davies 7 vs Minot 2  ------- Minot has played strong as of late, but their scoring abilities have limited their potential. It's also hard to ignore the lonnnnnng history of Minot blowing up at State. 

44 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

USA hockey taking away the checking from pee wee hockey IMHO turned Bantam hockey into a disaster.

The hunters:  Freshman aged boys who have a year of body contact under their belts and know they will get their chance to destroy someone in front of their buddies, which is the only reason their buddies came to a 9 AM game on a Sunday morning.  

The hunted:  8th grade boys who are still used to coming up ice with their heads down because they've never had to pay for it.  So they respond with flying elbows, crosschecks, punches, etc....

And then you as the official get to talk to the 21 year old (sometimes hung over) head coach of the offenders because he doesn't like how soft the game is getting......

And in 2020 as of now there will be no checking in bantams 

Central will score a minimum of 25 goals in this tournament.  Nobody is going to outplay them in a game.  Any result other than them winning the title would require some miraculous combination of unbelievable goaltending against them and terrible goaltending for.  Similar to what happened in the second game against RR that went to OT.  I was at that game and despite the score it couldn't have been more lopsided.  RR didn't even get to double digits in shots until late in the 3rd period.  RR scored on a dump in.  Was just an oddball game that isn't going to happen again.

44 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Interesting.  I don't know why they would de-emphasize "over the back".  Seems like boxing out is a pretty important staple of the game, still to this day.  

I was just going to ask if I'd get laughed out of the gym if I used this term.  Thanks for validating!   

45 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

It is important  mostly because teams don't do it anymore. I watch college games and almost every rebound becomes a 50/50 ball.

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

I was just going to ask if I'd get laughed out of the gym if I used this term.  Thanks for validating!   

I have seen as many fouls called on players actually "boxing out" as I have seen "over the back" calls. Some officials have said "boxing out" eliminates the players right to that space on the floor. To petey's point that's why most rebounds are now 50/50 balls.

Can't make this up.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I have seen as many fouls called on players actually "boxing out" as I have seen "over the back" calls. Some officials have said "boxing out" eliminates the players right to that space on the floor. to petey's point that's why most rebounds are now 50/50 balls.

Can't make this up.

I agree. Game and the way it is called has changed. In high school we had drills where they put a cover on the basket with 5 guys playing d and 5 guys on offense and a coach would throw up a shot and the guys on defense had to maintain their block out and let the ball hit the floor.

Part of it is the way the game is called and maybe even a bigger part is that kids now play AAU or Travel team ball in the off season instead of going to camps. Fundamentals have gone by the wayside.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I tell my kids to "box out" all the time.  Find somebody and box them out.  I guess I am old.  :huh:

Other than cashing jumpers in a guys face boxing out is the only really enjoyable part of basketball. Other than that you can’t find much for physicality in basketball these days.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

I have seen as many fouls called on players actually "boxing out" as I have seen "over the back" calls. Some officials have said "boxing out" eliminates the players right to that space on the floor. to petey's point that's why most rebounds are now 50/50 balls.

Can't make this up.

Yep.  Many fouls are called in youth basketball for actually boxing out and for actually posting up. It would drive me crazy to see a kid doing what he was suppose to do, and get called for a foul.

3 hours ago, Blackheart said:

So what’s the equivalent call now?  Or can you just blow people up from behind to get a rebound?  Asking for a friend.;)

As other people have said pushing us drill called. It’s also crazy how the rules of traveling have changed. You can basically change pivot feet in certain circumstances now. 

Dont even get me started on the ‘arc’ rules. 

3 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I tell my kids to "box out" all the time.  Find somebody and box them out.  I guess I am old.  :huh:

Coaching my 7th grader last year and he had some guy basically run him over to get the rebound...I yelled for over the back and the 20-something ref just looked at me and said "there's no such thing"..I told ref that we will just have to box out better and he told me that was not allowed.  Felt like I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone.

2 hours ago, NDSU grad said:

As other people have said pushing us drill called. It’s also crazy how the rules of traveling have changed. You can basically change pivot feet in certain circumstances now. 

Dont even get me started on the ‘arc’ rules. 

This.....^^^

26 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Coaching my 7th grader last year and he had some guy basically run him over to get the rebound...I yelled for over the back and the 20-something ref just looked at me and said "there's no such thing"..I told ref that we will just have to box out better and he told me that was not allowed.  Felt like I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone.

:blink:

Am I totally missing out on what's happening with basketball these days?  No boxing out.....?

4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

See PCM or Rick for your club membership card. :D 

(We'll find out quick if those two are still silently trolling now won't we. ;)