SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2018-19

MoSiouxFan

9 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I'm almost positive this was discussed last go around a couple of years ago and dropped.  There are things that come up on the agenda every year and don't go anywhere.  That said, this would be a disaster.  If anything, checking needs to be moved back to Pee Wees and some would even say Squirts.  Checking is a skill just like skating, stickhandling, and shooting and is one that should be taught from a young age, how to deliver a proper check and how to protect yourself and receive a proper check.  I guess Johnny Toe Drag will soon be making an appearance at the Bantam level now.  

Some think 10 year olds should be checking?  Geez

11 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Allowing body contact, yes.  It used to be that way.  Doesn't need to be full on, open ice checking.

I do think it should be at the peewee level. What gets me is I currently coach peewees and do in the spring and summer too. The team I coach in the winter obviously can’t check but once we get into spring and summer tourneys they can. Doesn’t make sense. I do teach my team how to hit and take a hit so they are ready for it but shouldn’t it either be able to check or not across the board? 

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

I'm almost positive this was discussed last go around a couple of years ago and dropped.  There are things that come up on the agenda every year and don't go anywhere.  That said, this would be a disaster.  If anything, checking needs to be moved back to Pee Wees and some would even say Squirts.  Checking is a skill just like skating, stickhandling, and shooting and is one that should be taught from a young age, how to deliver a proper check and how to protect yourself and receive a proper check.  I guess Johnny Toe Drag will soon be making an appearance at the Bantam level now.  

Just because checking isn't legal does not mean coaches shouldn't teach it. Checking being taken out of the game is as much on the coaches as anything else.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SiouxBoys said:

They already do allow body contact. Bantam and up is considering body checking, where peewee and below is considered body contact.

Sure but then you throw the difference of body contact and body checking into the hands of the refs. That's where it gets ugly. Very few know the difference.

4 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

The refs know the difference much better than the players, parents, and coaches do.

I beg to differ. I coach at the peewee level and teach both contact and checking. My players know the difference. With refs in high demand I often have kids reffing our games. It's actually comical at what they call and don't call. Oh and that goes for adult refs too but not in that degree.

9 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

I beg to differ. I coach at the peewee level and teach both contact and checking. My players know the difference. With refs in high demand I often have kids reffing our games. It's actually comical at what they call and don't call. Oh and that goes for adult refs too but not in that degree.

Ignorant.

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Checking will be gone pretty soon.  The younger you teach it the better they’ll be adapting to it when they’re older.  

That's exactly how I feel too. I'm only on my 35th year of coaching this great game but to one dude on here I'm ignorant.

5 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

To call young refs who are still learning how to run the game comical is beyond ignorant, bud.

You have no clue what I do behind the bench bud. After every game when I go to shake the young refs hands I let them know what they did well and what they need to look for. Everyone is appreciative of it too. But yeah I’m ignorant. 

Just now, sioux rube said:

You have no clue what I do behind the bench bud. After every game when I go to shake the young refs hands I let them know what they did well and what they need to look for. Everyone is appreciative of it too. But yeah I’m ignorant. 

I would hate it for somebody to come your games and after it let you know what you did well as a coach and what you need to look for. I'm sure you would be super appreciative of it as well.

28 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Although this GFC team is unreal and probably the best ever in ND history, I highly doubt they will match the feat of the 04 Central team (02, 03 or 04?) that went the entire tournament without getting scored on. They lost a few games that season, but that's a pretty impressive feat

It could happen again but if I was to bet I’d say someone will score on them. Looking forward to watching them at state as I’ve yet to have had the opportunity to do so 

5 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

I would hate it for somebody to come your games and after it let you know what you did well as a coach and what you need to look for. I'm sure you would be super appreciative of it as well.

Wow. Let’s see here. A guy who has been around the game for as long as I have letting, say a 14 year old on giving him a few pointers is a bad thing? Alrighty then. Oh and I’m always open to suggestions when it comes to coaching. The game has changed a ton since I first coached long ago so I’m always looking and listening to new ideas 

1 minute ago, sioux rube said:

Wow. Let’s see here. A guy who has been around the game for as long as I have letting, say a 14 year old on giving him a few pointers is a bad thing? Alrighty then. Oh and I’m always open to suggestions when it comes to coaching. The game has changed a ton since I first coached long ago so I’m always looking and listening to new ideas 

Open to suggestions from anybody? Even upset parents? 

2 hours ago, SiouxBoys said:

They already do allow body contact. Bantam and up is considering body checking, where peewee and below is considered body contact.

Ok, let me preface this by saying I need to remember I am on a NoDak message board.  I have taken teams all over the place for tournaments.  In NoDak and northern Minnesota, body contact at the Pee Wee level is dang near full on checking.  When you get to the Cities things get called a little bit tighter but still pretty failry allow contact.  You get into Southern Minnesota and even less contact is allowed.  Go over to Wisconsin or down into South Dakota, Iowa or Missouri and if you even breathe or look cross ways at the opponent and they fall down you will get called for a "checking" penalty.

Body contact rules are not applies evenly across different areas of the country, is the point.

4 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Open to suggestions from anybody? Even upset parents? 

Yes I’ll listen to upset parents. Part of coaching although it happens very rarely as I’ve been fortunate over the years. I’m done. Off to the rink for practice. Have a good one 

58 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Although this GFC team is unreal and probably the best ever in ND history, I highly doubt they will match the feat of the 04 Central team (02, 03 or 04?) that went the entire tournament without getting scored on. They lost a few games that season, but that's a pretty impressive feat

03, pretty sure that team also beat Oshies Warroad team.