SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

3 hours ago, 3Putt said:

Sorry I don't remember the circumstances that year. How did UND get penalized for a win over Wyoming? I can understand feeling that UND didn't get enough credit but penalized?

It became clear after selection Sunday that if UND had lost to Wyoming but beat Idaho State they would've made the playoffs.  

16 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

It became clear after selection Sunday that if UND had lost to Wyoming but beat Idaho State they would've made the playoffs.  

But, to look at it objectively, you can’t say the Wyoming win “hurt you”, it actually helped you. It’s just that the idaho state loss was so bad, not that the Wyoming win was somehow bad.

10 hours ago, homer said:

So what you are saying is they have beaten the teams that I feel are overrated and lost to the two good teams they have played.  

Quality losses.  

I’m not even talking wins or losses, I’m saying I watched their two toughest games and they looked like a really good football team.

4 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I really think them beating the #5 team in the nation the last game of the year was too big to not bring them into the mix. That coupled with them beating a really good UNI team that year.

I think it was the wrong decision, but I can see why they made the decision. I doubt the Wyoming win “hurt” UND that year, as was said by others.

My point was instead of beating FBS Wyoming, we should’ve scheduled another of those doggone tough MVFC teams, lost, gone 6-5, and gotten in the playoffs just like Western Illinois did. 

55 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

My point was instead of beating FBS Wyoming, we should’ve scheduled another of those doggone tough MVFC teams, lost, gone 6-5, and gotten in the playoffs just like Western Illinois did. 

And my point, along with others, is to say that 6-5, 7-4, wouldn’t have mattered if you don’t beat Idaho state. It wasn’t the FBS win that kept you out, it was the Idaho state loss.

UND was their only FCS win that year.

7 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

And my point, along with others, is to say that 6-5, 7-4, wouldn’t have mattered if you don’t beat Idaho state. It wasn’t the FBS win that kept you out, it was the Idaho state loss.

2 quality wins with 1 bad loss was worse than 0 quality wins and no bad losses? 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, homer said:

2 quality wins with 1 bad loss was worse than 0 quality wins and no bad losses? 

Apparently it was to the committee. I agreed you should have been in, but I don’t make the decisions and am just trying speculate on their decision process.

Truth is, teams on the bubble are almost always interchangeable. Resumes are so similar, it’s just splitting hairs at that point and an awful loss apparently was their reason for keeping UND out in 2015.

50 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Nobody cares what your point was.  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Apparently it was to the committee. I agreed you should have been in, but I don’t make the decisions and am just trying speculate on their decision process.

Truth is, teams on the bubble are almost always interchangeable. Resumes are so similar, it’s just splitting hairs at that point and an awful loss apparently was their reason for keeping UND out in 2015.

Agreed.  Can’t leave it in someone else’s hands.  

5 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Quality contribution as always.

Go tell some teenagers to get off your lawn and leave the football to us.

Over the last couple pages you just proved you had no idea how UND compared to Western, EIU, and UNH that year, but amazingly you still had all the answers.  

Typical Bison know it all just looking to argue. 

I don’t mind kids on my lawn; it’s those fat bison women peeing on the sidewalk that present the real hazard, especially at these temps. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Neither UNI nor SDSU have any signature wins. True.

But how should a committee deciding rankings take into account FBS losses in overtime and losing to top 5 FCS teams? 

I get that it's a running joke around here about the quality losses, but if UND had taken NDSU to overtime, my guess is you guys wouldn't be sweating a possible 7-4 end of season record.

The only reason we are "sweating' is because it was proven in 2017 that the system used to make decisions on who is in who is out is inconsistent and heavily weighted by the decision makers in the room. There was national discussion on how a 7-4 UND team with an FCS win and a 3 game winning streak at the end of the season was left out over a 6-5 team. We were not the only ones questioning how that happened. Now it's being thrown out that SDSU and UNI "Haven't had the chance to play anyone difficult because of their schedule", but in 2017 some of the "Never UND" discussion included that our schedule was weak - well it's not weak this year so we are "sweating" because if we finish 7-4 they won't be able to say we had a weak schedule but history shows they like to move the bar behind closed doors.  

If we finish 7-4 and UND is not chosen the system is a joke, if we finish 6-5 we do not deserve to be in (but if 6-5 becomes the bar for the last in we should be considered over an east coast patsy - but that won't happen so we need to just get it done). 

Side note: perhaps having Chaves on our team could make a difference this year. 

2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Over the last couple pages you just proved you had no idea how UND compared to Western, EIU, and UNH that year, but amazingly you still had all the answers.  

Typical Bison know it all just looking to argue. 

I don’t mind kids on my lawn; it’s those fat bison women peeing on the sidewalk that present the real hazard, especially at these temps. 

It was four years ago, nearly all UND fans don’t remember every single detail. 

I’m agreeing with you all that UND probably should have gotten in and I remembering feeling that way at the time. What are you taking issue with that I’m saying?

56 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

The only reason we are "sweating' is because it was proven in 2017 that the system used to make decisions on who is in who is out is inconsistent and heavily weighted by the decision makers in the room. There was national discussion on how a 7-4 UND team with an FCS win and a 3 game winning streak at the end of the season was left out over a 6-5 team. We were not the only ones questioning how that happened. Now it's being thrown out that SDSU and UNI "Haven't had the chance to play anyone difficult because of their schedule", but in 2017 some of the "Never UND" discussion included that our schedule was weak - well it's not weak this year so we are "sweating" because if we finish 7-4 they won't be able to say we had a weak schedule but history shows they like to move the bar behind closed doors.  

If we finish 7-4 and UND is not chosen the system is a joke, if we finish 6-5 we do not deserve to be in (but if 6-5 becomes the bar for the last in we should be considered over an east coast patsy - but that won't happen so we need to just get it done). 

Side note: perhaps having Chaves on our team could make a difference this year. 

I disagree, in a 12 game season, 7-4 isn’t necessarily going to be a no brainer to get you in. There will be more 8 win teams than an 11 game year. As has been said, if you end up 7-4 with a loss to Weber. It will depend on how you look in these last three games.

Play Weber tough and 7-4 should get you in as long as those last two games aren’t extremely close.

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

It was four years ago, nearly all UND fans don’t remember every single detail. 

I’m agreeing with you all that UND probably should have gotten in and I remembering feeling that way at the time. What are you taking issue with that I’m saying?

To repeat, I said UND was penalized by beating FBS Wyoming. UND  should have lost a close game to another MVFC opponent instead  to better match resumes with western Illinois 

Just now, Siouxphan27 said:

To repeat, I said UND was penalized by beating FBS Wyoming. UND  should have lost a close game to another MVFC opponent instead  to better match resumes with western Illinois 

And to repeat myself, UND was not penalized for winning at Wyoming. UND was penalized for losing against Idaho State.

You’re changing the wrong variable.

If you had gone 6-5 with a loss instead of a win at Wyoming, do you think that somehow improves the resume?

if you had lost to Wyoming, but beaten Idaho state and ended up with the same record than yes, that improves your resume. That’s not what you’re saying though.

39 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

And to repeat myself, UND was not penalized for winning at Wyoming. UND was penalized for losing against Idaho State.

You’re changing the wrong variable.

If you had gone 6-5 with a loss instead of a win at Wyoming, do you think that somehow improves the resume?

if you had lost to Wyoming, but beaten Idaho state and ended up with the same record than yes, that improves your resume. That’s not what you’re saying though.

Thanks for proving my point:

An FBS win accounted for nothing when compared to an FCS loss 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Thanks for proving my point:

An FBS win accounted for nothing when compared to an FCS loss 

Are you comparing your resume to Western Illinois? They had two top 10 wins. And you somehow think taking away your best win of the year puts you above them in the eyes of the committee?

And I’m the one uninformed?