SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So pretend Illinois State and Southern Illinois both finish 7-5.  Are they both in over a 7-4 UND?

Depends on if quality losses are worth more than quality wins. 

We put ourselves here by losing to ISU.  Also, no give me UND gets to 7 wins

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Regarding your question on fbs losses....how about fbs wins?   IIRC the year UND beat Wyoming, we got penalized for that win.  

Point being, the pollsters and playoff committee have an agenda, and depending on how a year plays out for their favorite teams, they adjust what they consider the most important criteria to judge on. 

You think that UND is still on some sort of NCAA hit list? Is that what you mean by agenda?

I think you may be seeing connections that aren’t there. 

How was UND punished for the win at Wyoming?

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Regarding your question on fbs losses....how about fbs wins?   IIRC the year UND beat Wyoming, we got penalized for that win.  

Point being, the pollsters and playoff committee have an agenda, and depending on how a year plays out for their favorite teams, they adjust what they consider the most important criteria to judge on. 

Sorry I don't remember the circumstances that year. How did UND get penalized for a win over Wyoming? I can understand feeling that UND didn't get enough credit but penalized?

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

So pretend Illinois State and Southern Illinois both finish 7-5.  Are they both in over a 7-4 UND?

I think a 7-4 UND, as long as you look like you belong against Weber for most of the game, gets in over both of those schools. The Davis and Montana state wins are nice.

The problem may be though, from my understanding when there are bubble teams, having a person in that room arguing your case can be helpful.

At 7-4 with UND being an independent this year, I could see that hurting you guys.

32 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

You think that UND is still on some sort of NCAA hit list? Is that what you mean by agenda?

Didn't a 6-5 team get in over UND at 7-4?

19 minutes ago, UNDJ92 said:

Didn't a 6-5 team get in over UND at 7-4?

Yes, Western Illinois. It was hotly debated at the time and I believe the kicker was western Illinois beat both SDSU and UNI that year. UNI ended up making the semis I believe.

I think UND deserved it, but the committee was too excited about WIU beating SDSU the last game of the year.

34 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I think a 7-4 UND, as long as you look like you belong against Weber for most of the game, gets in over both of those schools. The Davis and Montana state wins are nice.

The problem may be though, from my understanding when there are bubble teams, having a person in that room arguing your case can be helpful.

At 7-4 with UND being an independent this year, I could see that hurting you guys.

I think if the Salukis half way hang with NDSU and lose by say 15-20 points they'd get in over UND for exactly what you said.

It is my belief that computer rankings play a considerably larger part in the selection than most believe. To me, what actually what lost the bid in 2015 is the same thing that can prevent a bid in 2019: the loss to Idaho State.

In 2015 UND was hurt considerably in the ratings by being Idaho State’s only division 1 win. Although I’m sure there was immense pressure by the MVFC representative, Western Illinois was able to squeak in because they had a higher computer ranking despite being 6-5 and losing 59-7 with NDSU playing the entire game with a backup quarterback.

This year the circumstances are similar. Last week Massey had UND ranked 14th and then dropped them to 18th this week. It wasn’t teams such as Montana State and Eastern Washington jumping UND that brought the dip, it was the loss by Idaho State at home to Northern Colorado preceded by a loss to Southern Utah that brought the sizable drop.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, homer said:

You kind of make my point of why I was quoted, I made the statement that outside of NDSU the MVFC “in my opinion only” is over rated this year.  

Great conference, can’t wait to be in it.  However, I feel this year it is down vs years past.   That was the only statement I made.  

How SDSU finishes out remains to be seen.  

With all the big classes Graduated last year, it was known by everyone who actually follows other conference schools the MVFC would be down.  A down MVFC is still a top 3 conference means something

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

A 6-5 WIU team got in ahead of us. I recall Quality loss being discussed. What BS.

Edit: This was already mentioned.

15 minutes ago, cpa_guy said:

It is my belief that computer rankings play a considerably larger part in the selection than most believe. To me, what actually what lost the bid in 2015 is the same thing that can prevent a bid in 2019: the loss to Idaho State.

In 2015 UND was hurt considerably in the ratings by being Idaho State’s only division 1 win. Although I’m sure there was immense pressure by the MVFC representative, Western Illinois was able to squeak in because they had a higher computer ranking despite being 6-5 and losing 59-7 with NDSU playing the entire game with a backup quarterback.

This year the circumstances are similar. Last week Massey had UND ranked 14th and then dropped them to 18th this week. It wasn’t teams such as Montana State and Eastern Washington jumping UND that brought the dip, it was the loss by Idaho State at home to Northern Colorado preceded by a loss to Southern Utah that brought the sizable drop.

The committee used a SoS and UND's was higher the Western Illinois.  But the emotion of the tough M Valley  and the Big Fluff and the Big Fluff rep was from Idaho State.  We were burnt twice. 

7 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

A 6-5 WIU team got in ahead of us. I recall Quality loss being discussed. What BS.

I really think them beating the #5 team in the nation the last game of the year was too big to not bring them into the mix. That coupled with them beating a really good UNI team that year.

I think it was the wrong decision, but I can see why they made the decision. I doubt the Wyoming win “hurt” UND that year, as was said by others.

4 minutes ago, tjbison said:

With all the big classes Graduated last year, it was known by everyone who actually follows other conference schools the MVFC would be down.  A down MVFC is still a top 3 conference means something

Lol.    I follow other conferences plenty.  That is exactly how I shaped my opinion.  Down or overrated.  In this case it means the same thing.  

22 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

The real issue was EIU and UNH getting in with their awful, boring resumes.  That is where the "quality loss" thing originated.  

13 minutes ago, homer said:

Lol.    I follow other conferences plenty.  That is exactly how I shaped my opinion.  Down or overrated.  In this case it means the same thing.  

I was pointing more to other fans clamoring the superiority of the MVFC, never said you didn't know nor say you were wrong...LOL

9 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

The committee used a SoS and UND's was higher the Western Illinois.  But the emotion of the tough M Valley  and the Big Fluff and the Big Fluff rep was from Idaho StateWe were burnt twice. 

Yeah, I forgot about that. I got the impression that Idaho State's AD Jeff Tingey was against UND being in the conference. I know for sure that coach Kramer was, as he stated in a couple of interviews that he didn't like UND being in the conference.