SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

2 hours ago, zonadub said:

I believe the offers have been made in the past seasons, but Bubba has not been able to land the young guns... after all, what hot young qb would want to come to UND under Rudy’s system to hand off the ball on the first and second downs and then be swarmed under on third down because it’s 3rd and long and the defense knows you have to pass? Will that change under Freund? Time will tell.

I agree with this.   Not sure who would of ever wanted to play for Rudy ball  

Seems like a perennial discussion on this board (including me) that say und should recruit a Qb in that years recruiting class.  The staff has done a great job for the 2020 class ....but yet again no qb.   Always seems like a last minute  scramble.  Hope a freund run offense will open recruits eyes.  

19 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I agree with this.   Not sure who would of ever wanted to play for Rudy ball  

Seems like a perennial discussion on this board (including me) that say und should recruit a Qb in that years recruiting class.  The staff has done a great job for the 2020 class ....but yet again no qb.   Always seems like a last minute  scramble.  Hope a freund run offense will open recruits eyes.  

I don't disagree with any of this. But you said that the staff does not prioritize QB recruiting. As if they made a conscious decision to prioritize other positions. That's a totally different issue than QBs not wanting to play in a run first system. Don't you think that it's possible that they prioritized recruiting QBs but had trouble getting commitments because of the style of offense? 

Some day 5 notes on Maag.  Maag impressed as a true freshman, is he poised for a bust out year?  Is it possible he ends up with more receptions than Wanzek?   Loving the talent and depth we finally have at WR this year.  

• Garret Maag had a big day in the passing game, showcasing his overall skill set deep down the field and short underneath. UND is deep and experienced at wide receiver with Travis Toivonen and Noah Wanzek leading the way but Maag might have the highest potential ceiling of anyone in the group.

1 hour ago, Ozzie82 said:

I don't disagree with any of this. But you said that the staff does not prioritize QB recruiting. As if they made a conscious decision to prioritize other positions. That's a totally different issue than QBs not wanting to play in a run first system. Don't you think that it's possible that they prioritized recruiting QBs but had trouble getting commitments because of the style of offense? 

I feel the staff does not prioritized the qb recruiting.  As it stands right now.....next year will be jun-Grover and fresh schuster with no commits and 1 offer on the table.  Yet they have hand fulls of offers for every other position.  IMO,  emphasis or priority is given to other areas.  Of course there will be times when another area is depleted and in need....I get that .  It’s just been 5 year and counting. 

I don’t think the style of offense (run) is the issue.  When looking around the fcs  many “heavy” run teams , including the team to the south , have done a good job of recruiting qbs.   Triple option teams as well.   These teams are deep at Qb.  

How many times has a 3rd or 4th string qb for an opposing team lit up und.  Teams stack up qbs knowing the possibility of injuries or defections.  

But yeah Rudy ball was embarrassingly inept .....pretty sure recruits noticed. Hoping freund can change that! 

Regardless.....I’m excited for this year.

13 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Longtime Fan, I hesitate posting this as I hope you know I'm joking, but this is what I pictured when you said that UND did not prioritize QB recruiting:

Setting: UND Football Coaches Meeting Room, somewhere in the bowels of Memorial Stadium 

Bubba: Let’s begin our discussion for our recruiting strategy for the upcoming year. 

Ass’t Coach (excitedly raising hand): I’ve found an outstanding QB that loves UND! He’s got FBS offers, and I think I can get him to commit to us! He’s got program changing talent. 

Bubba: Whoa, whoa, whoa there. Let’s not jump ahead! As we all know, our priority has always been other positions, not QB. So, who’s got some good punters we can talk about? 

Ass’t Coach: Wait, what? 

Bubba: As I preach, the most important play in football is the punt. Anyone have any good long snappers we can sign? 

Ass’t Coach: Hold on. You can’t be serious. QB HAS to be our top priority! Isn’t it common knowledge that that QB is the most important position in sports? 

Bubba: (Bursts out laughing) 

Other ass’t coaches: (laughing, shaking heads, dabs eyes with kleenex) 

Bubba: Field position wins games, not QBs. Right boys? 

Other Ass’t Coaches: RIGHT, BUBBA!! (Coaches high five each other, bro hugs all around, one assistant shotguns a beer) 

Bubba: Ok, ok, ok. I don’t think we need a big time QB, but go ahead and offer the kid a scholarship. But only offer him 1/3 of a full ride. We’ve got to save our scholarship money for some good looking tweeners from the state of North Dakota that we need for PR purposes! 

(Assistant coaches spontaneously join arms and begin to sing the UND fight song) 

Bubba: Meeting adjourned! 

*end scene* 

Now that made me laugh hard.  Nice.

16 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Longtime Fan, I hesitate posting this as I hope you know I'm joking, but this is what I pictured when you said that UND did not prioritize QB recruiting:

Setting: UND Football Coaches Meeting Room, somewhere in the bowels of Memorial Stadium 

Bubba: Let’s begin our discussion for our recruiting strategy for the upcoming year. 

Ass’t Coach (excitedly raising hand): I’ve found an outstanding QB that loves UND! He’s got FBS offers, and I think I can get him to commit to us! He’s got program changing talent. 

Bubba: Whoa, whoa, whoa there. Let’s not jump ahead! As we all know, our priority has always been other positions, not QB. So, who’s got some good punters we can talk about? 

Ass’t Coach: Wait, what? 

Bubba: As I preach, the most important play in football is the punt. Anyone have any good long snappers we can sign? 

Ass’t Coach: Hold on. You can’t be serious. QB HAS to be our top priority! Isn’t it common knowledge that that QB is the most important position in sports? 

Bubba: (Bursts out laughing) 

Other ass’t coaches: (laughing, shaking heads, dabs eyes with kleenex) 

Bubba: Field position wins games, not QBs. Right boys? 

Other Ass’t Coaches: RIGHT, BUBBA!! (Coaches high five each other, bro hugs all around, one assistant shotguns a beer) 

Bubba: Ok, ok, ok. I don’t think we need a big time QB, but go ahead and offer the kid a scholarship. But only offer him 1/3 of a full ride. We’ve got to save our scholarship money for some good looking tweeners from the state of North Dakota that we need for PR purposes! 

(Assistant coaches spontaneously join arms and begin to sing the UND fight song) 

Bubba: Meeting adjourned! 

*end scene* 

Lol.  That’s good, I like it!  

• Upvote 3

This was just posted over at FCS:

University of North Dakota doesn’t really have a big game until they travel to Fargo in the second week which, I am sure, they widely recognize as their Super Bowl. They have been talking about it since their last visit in 2015, a 39-9 loss that wasn’t as close as it looks. 

Many fans in Grand Forks claim the 2015 UND team the best of all time based on the 24-13 win over Wyoming and the 7-4 FCS record. 

Saturday, September 7, 2:30 PM
The Fabulous Fargo Dome. SOLD OUT
Fargo, North Dakota

PREDICTED WINNER: NDSU BISON
SPREAD: NDSU -15
OVER/UNDER: 55
MYTHICAL SCORE: NDSU BISON 35. UND 20

Tickets at Stub Hub are between $500-$650 to sit close to the 50 yd line. End zone $117+. It is a hot ticket. When I visited the site 325 were viewing, all UND fans I imagine. Of course being from The University cost isn’t important. Green Dickie with long white neck scarf de rigueur though for UND men. 

https://www.stubhub.com/north-dakota-st ... sid=563489

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

35-20 loss at NDSU....hmmmm.  Wouldn't be the end of the world, but be nice to win the game. 

That score would suck. Anything other than a win for UND in week 2 is a failure for that particular week. Not the end of the world, but no moral victories, please. 

12 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Hopefully Canady has a big year this year.  Lots of football articles this fall camp...it's been great! 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4603308-UND-searching-for-the-next-Cole-Reyes-at-safety 

Agreed, really enjoying the Herald's coverage this year. The Safety position and Offensive Line position have a lot of parallels going into this year. Very little was lost from last years team (1 OL, 0 S), both were ok last year, the question is can they take that next step. Based on basically everyone returning, they will be improved no doubt, but by how much is the real question. I've talked before how encouraging it is to see two "non-starters" last year potentially grab spots on the O-line, which will really help from a depth standpoint and overall talent. It's encouraging to see so many names mentioned at Safety. The depth appears to be there, for what seems like the first time that I can remember, but can Canady be "that guy" this year. Can Nelson, ect.. really step up and be above average (not meant to be a dig at all). By the sounds of it, I'm really excited about the depth this year at Safety.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/8/2019 at 8:29 PM, Mama Sue said:

I did not pay $500 for my ticket... but more than $117... seat probably is not the best but I will be there.

your not inside the 40s either.  Like the author said any price is the right price.  

each sale drives the prices higher. 

Just saw this on FCS. 

Problem for the Hawks is the schedule. Lots of ranked teams but NDSU is first and best. A decisive loss in this game and the Hawks could be on the skids with EWU and UC Davis on consecutive weeks. They play SHSU, another bubble team, first. 

If they pick up their wins on the weaker side of the conference like they did in 2015 they will watch the playoffs once again. 

Not only is it their super bowl, it’s an early elimination game for the Hawks.

Looking at the -11.5 point Hawk advantage on 5 dimes against Drake this prediction on the Bison game could be conservative

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Where is your seat?  I would like to come over and say hello.  

Last Bison game I went to was in Iowa City.  Next one will be in Oregon.  I like Cedar Falls games. These kinds of games are for the little people. The football-loving hoi palloi.

The Fabulous Fargo Dome is always sold out.  The only reason this is a big ticket is because UND fans want in.  The prices are laughably high.  Nobody From Fargo is buying. They are selling. 

The UND roster has not been upgraded much, if at all, this off season and you have, for better or worse, a new OC that’s wet behind the ears but was once a star for the Hawks at QB. 

Currently Sagarin has NDSU #19 in the country.  Their roster is loaded.  They have a new head coach that was DC on last years national champions with a long track record of success. They also have a new OC direct from a successful program at Indiana State and an enviable Bison pedigree as a player.

Budgets for the 2 schools are very similar. NDSU just gets a lot of bang for their football buck. On that basis they are very good at football. Among the best. 

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Boydj282 said:

Last Bison game I went to was in Iowa City.  Next one will be in Oregon.  I like Cedar Falls games. These kinds of games are for the little people. The football-loving hoi palloi.

The Fabulous Fargo Dome is always sold out.  The only reason this is a big ticket is because UND fans want in.  The prices are laughably high.  Nobody From Fargo is buying. They are selling. 

The UND roster has not been upgraded much, if at all, this off season and you have, for better or worse, a new OC that’s wet behind the ears but was once a star for the Hawks at QB. 

Currently Sagarin has NDSU #19 in the country.  Their roster is loaded.  They have a new head coach that was DC on last years national champions with a long track record of success. They also have a new OC direct from a successful program at Indiana State and an enviable Bison pedigree as a player.

Budgets for the 2 schools are very similar. NDSU just gets a lot of bang for their football buck. On that basis they are very good at football. Among the best. 

Budgets are not similar, my gawd.  And I didn't know your OC came from Indiana State, interesting.

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Budgets are not similar, my gawd.  And I didn't know your OC came from Indiana State, interesting.

Most recent data I have on football spending is 2017. 

UND spent $4,464,097.   Cost/victory about  $1.5 Million Dollars

NDSU spent $5,281,392. Cost/victory about $377,000 including a National Championship.  This is pure football elegance and beauty.  NDSU is very good at football  

Wyoming spent $10,495,612.  Cost/victory about $1.32 Million

Alabama Crimson Tide spent about $62.252 Million    $4.789 Million/victory and a National Championship.

http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/fcs/university-of-north-dakota#!quicktabs-tab-institution_data-2

• Downvote 1