SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Weber State Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

The student section support is hit or miss as the season progresses. The one thing I've noticed for years is the fan base sits there quiet and disengaged like they are at funeral. Sporting events is one of a few times in life where you can stand, yell, clap, stomp, cheer, laugh whistle, heckle (within limits) boo (when warranted) and just enjoy yourself. Most of the "fans" are that are in attendance just sit there as if they are in the waiting room at the doctor's office as if they are waiting to be entertained. That lack of enthusiasm makes it easy for our opponents to function. Wake up fans! Geez.

As for the play on the field. We needed some guys to step up late in the game and say, I'm going to put the team on my back and win this damn thing. That didn't happen yesterday. The special teams/kicking game is a joke. Period. The decision to blitz Evan off the corner in the red-zone and leave #3 (who demands a double-team as soon as he steps off the bus) wide open for an easy score, was baffling to me. The safety was late getting there, and a safety can't cover that kid any way. That was the back breaker. IMO. Kett has been mostly good this year but there have been quite a few times, when I thought to myself, Keaton would have used his legs in that moment to pick up a first down, extend a play or run for a score. Zimmerman is what you get if you combined  Keaton and Kett. Give the kid some reps.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

We all know that the seats on the UND sideline are consistently full - that’s not the issue or the topic at all. 

It's too bad they can't put the cameras on the other side, so it would show the team and the home crowd side which is always a lot more full.  I'm sure it is for some logistic reasons as to why they need to put the cameras on that side.  See that at other games too....the tv shows the visitors side and is often a lot of empty seats. 

12 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

It's too bad they can't put the cameras on the other side, so it would show the team and the home crowd side which is always a lot more full.  I'm sure it is for some logistic reasons as to why they need to put the cameras on that side.  See that at other games too....the tv shows the visitors side and is often a lot of empty seats. 

I believe it has to do woth the media booth being on home side. The camera I believe are all up there. There is atleast one on opposite side I believe as you do get views of the UND sideline occasionally.

4 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

This loss falls squarely on the defense, and it's really not up for debate.  UND put up 30 points against the best defense in the Big Sky and it wasn't enough.  That is the highest point total that Weber has allowed all year against an FCS team.  

On the other hand, Weber has the worst offense in the Big Sky by quite a bit, and they managed their second highest point output of the season against us.  Their QB, who was benched a week ago for poor play, had a career game against us.

I don't feel that the sky is falling.  UND lost a close game to what I think is one of the 5 best teams in the country that has a legit shot to make it to Frisco.  I'm frustrated that they didn't beat Weber, because the opportunity was there.  But North Dakota is still an above average team, that could make the playoffs if we win the next 3.  And anything can happen then.

Squarely on the D?  They had a bad game but where was the offense in 8 of their 11 drives?  Und had a combined total 93 yards on 31 plays, zero tds in 3.5 qtrs.  Und had 8 mins of a total 60 min game where the offense looked like an offense.....the last 5 mins of the 2nd and the first 3mins of the 3rd.  8 out of their 11 drives went 30 yards or less. Doesn’t sound like a winning recipe to me.  Squarely on the D seems to be far fetched  

Anyone that watched the game would see that Weber was the better team.  Weber just might have had their worst game of the year in regards to penalties and special teams. Und has done nothing this year on special teams yet they score 2tds against them(Weber hadn’t given up a ST td this year) and actually made a fg .  Also, not sure on exact yards but Weber must have had 100 more yards of penalties than und.  

The score is not indicative of Weber’s dominance . Und looked like a playoff team for 8 mins  

Und will win the remaining three games.  8-3 with no wins over a playoff bound team, no conference affiliation and a current 2-2 home record. Will be 3-2 at years end.  Will that be enough in the committees eyes to send und through into the post season?  

18 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Squarely on the D?  They had a bad game but where was the offense in 8 of their 11 drives?  Und had a combined total 93 yards on 31 plays, zero tds in the 1st, 3rd, 4th and majority part of the 2nd qtr.  Und had 8 mins of a total 60 min game where the offense looked like an offense.....the last 5 mins of the 2nd and the first 3mins of the 3rd.  8 out of their 11 drives went 30 yards or less. Doesn’t sound like a winning recipe to me.  Squarely on the D seems to be far fetched  

Anyone that watched the game would see that Weber was the better team.  Weber just might have had their worst game of the year in regards to penalties and special teams. Und has done nothing this year on special teams yet they score 2tds against them(Weber hadn’t given up a ST td this year) and actually made a fg .  Also, not sure on exact yards but Weber must have had 100 more yards of penalties than und.  

The score is not indicative of Weber’s dominance . Und looked like a playoff team for 8 mins  

Und will win the remaining three games.  8-3 with no wins over a playoff bound team, no conference affiliation and a current 2-2 home record. Will be 3-2 at years end.  Will that be enough in the committees eyes to send und through into the post season?  

Yes.

If they win out, can you point to any of the 3 losses and say "this is a bad loss? (2 playoff teams and a FBS team)"

Here is my take/ramblings....after a night of sleep.  It was a team loss, but the defense was the most disappointing.  Getting two TD's on special teams was great, but as others have mentioned, our kicking game gave Weber good field position all day which is huge in a game that is supposed to be a defensive game.  I was ok not going for it on 4th and 1 in deep in our own territory, I've see that one go the bad way a few times in other games.  You may say Bubba didn't have faith, maybe it's that he was having faith in the defense.....which yesterday turned out not to be a good thing.  I mean on flip side the offense aired it out when we got the ball with almost no time in second quarter, so you can't say they weren't being aggressive or didn't have the right mindset, well at least at times anyway.  Should have kept giving JJ the ball when it was working.

Most of us had our Kelly Green glasses on going into the week because the offense had looked good the previous 3 weeks.  Weber was better coached and prepared and we were brought back to reality.  But reality is we can still go 8-3 which is more than many of us expected.   I am looking forward to getting into the MVFC because this unbalanced schedule in the Big Sky sucks.  You can't control who you play, I mean I wish we had UC Davis on the schedule this year so we had a chance for another big win, or maybe EWU now that Gabe is out.  You never know what teams are going to end up being good in the Big Sky each year.  Maybe bite me in the butt but i'm looking forward to playing UNI, SDSU, Illinois State, etc going forward.  Because hell even if you lose you will automatically get credit for a quality loss.  Of course the NDSU annual game will be awesome as well and glad to see that renewed, it will only make us better. Our attendance will automatically increase playing the Dakota schools. 

I remember when Thomas was the coach, and Lennon and when we were going into a big game I always felt confident that our coaching would be a positive in our favor, that they would have a specific plan for that game to be successful.  I don't feel that now when we go up against good teams and coaches.  Schmidt can be good at times, but yesterday wasn't good.  And on offense, have that special play dialed up to use at the right time against a good defense, didn't see that yesterday.   Northern Colorado and NAU scored more (28) on Weber offensively than we did. 

Team and coaches need to learn from this loss, regroup and go out and get it the next three games!

• Upvote 1

Well said Sioux94....hasn’t the awesome Sioux defense been our signature? That is why mediocre defense just doesn’t seem like a good fit. “tacked by the entire Sioux defense” was soooo wonderful to hear!!!

I would agree there was widespread confidence in RT and Dale....not around enough now to know. By posts, it would seem this was lost when Dale left.....just saying from an outsider’sviewpoint...

need to right the ship, get those good seats in the hands of season ticket holders, and develop support for the coaches/team

4 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

This loss falls squarely on the defense, and it's really not up for debate.  UND put up 30 points against the best defense in the Big Sky and it wasn't enough.  That is the highest point total that Weber has allowed all year against an FCS team.  

On the other hand, Weber has the worst offense in the Big Sky by quite a bit, and they managed their second highest point output of the season against us.  Their QB, who was benched a week ago for poor play, had a career game against us.

I don't feel that the sky is falling.  UND lost a close game to what I think is one of the 5 best teams in the country that has a legit shot to make it to Frisco.  I'm frustrated that they didn't beat Weber, because the opportunity was there.  But North Dakota is still an above average team, that could make the playoffs if we win the next 3.  And anything can happen then.

Not to be nitpicky cause UND does deserve some credit for making great Special teams plays, but Weber's defense gave up 13 points. UND's STs scored 17 of UND's 30 points. 

6 minutes ago, WILDCAT said:

Not to be nitpicky cause UND does deserve some credit for making great Special teams plays, but Weber's defense gave up 13 points. UND's STs scored 17 of UND's 30 points. 

I think his point is that our defense sucked yesterday regardless of where our points came from, which by the way your defense I thought played great. 

40 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Squarely on the D?  They had a bad game but where was the offense in 8 of their 11 drives?  Und had a combined total 93 yards on 31 plays, zero tds in the 1st, 3rd, 4th and majority part of the 2nd qtr.  Und had 8 mins of a total 60 min game where the offense looked like an offense.....the last 5 mins of the 2nd and the first 3mins of the 3rd.  8 out of their 11 drives went 30 yards or less. Doesn’t sound like a winning recipe to me.  Squarely on the D seems to be far fetched  

If you look at the game through statistics, Weber did have their worst game on special teams for the year. They also had their worst game defensively to an FCS opponent and their best game offensively to an FCS opponent. Since statistically they are the Best Defensive team in the Big Sky and the worst offensive team in the Big Sky, that would tell me that our offense wasn't that bad but our defense was poor. 

I know you like to blame coaches for losses so given these stats, who is to blame for this one?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, WILDCAT said:

I didn't say the offense put up 30 points, I said UND scored 30 points which should have been enough points on the board against Weber's very pedestrian offense.  

Again, I'm not saying UNDs offense was great yesterday, I just saying that the defense was horrendous and was the biggest reason by far for the loss.  We made Constantine look like an all American.......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I didn't say the offense put up 30 points, I said UND scored 30 points which should have been enough points on the board against Weber's very pedestrian offense.  

Again, I'm not saying UNDs offense was great yesterday, I just saying that the defense was horrendous and was the biggest reason by far for the loss.  We made Constantine look like an all American.......

But you did say "UND put up 30 points against the best defense in the Big Sky." Which they didnt, they put up 13. But like i said thats just me being nitpicky. I think UND is much better a team than some on here are giving them credit. It was a good game and even after giving up 35 points you guys still had chances to win. I still see you guys winning out and getting into the playoffs. 

22 hours ago, rochsioux said:

One question:

Is it possible for North Dakota to win a championship in the future with this coaching staff ?

My answer is:  no chance whatsoever 

For me it’s time for changes.  Certainly the offensive coordinator needs to go but I believe that has been obvious for some time.  Therefore the head coach must be held responsible.  Bubba’s in his fifth year and is an improvement over Mussman but I don’t see him getting it done.  If it were up to me I might give him one more year if he got a new offensive coordinator otherwise he’s gone also. 

if you are content making it to the playoffs now and then and maybe getting a first round win, then this coaching staff will probably fill the bill for you.

If you want to win national championships, I do not think this staff will deliver. That starts at the head coach, goes right through the coordinators - all of them, and even to the position coaches. How many wait-til-next-year's do they get?

The one common thought in these threads is that UND has good players, but they aren't being used effectively and that UND is being out-coached. That falls on the coaches. For example, why hasn't Zimmerman been given a chance. Does it have something to do with Rudy just not liking him (as it seemed was the deal with Mollberg)? 

Don't count on anyone being in UND's corner advocating for the Hawks to get the 4th (or especially the 5th) spot out of the Big Sky in the playoffs. Since UND is playing a Big Sky schedule, they will be lumped in with the BSC and who will be the advocate for the team that is leaving over the team that is staying in the conference?

i said this before, and will repeat it, ... This coaching staff feels like it will have UND in the same position in the MVFC that Lennon did at SIU - struggling to get into the top half of the standings more often than not.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, zonadub said:

if you are content making it to the playoffs now and then and maybe getting a first round win, then this coaching staff will probably fill the bill for you.

If you want to win national championships, I do not think this staff will deliver. That starts at the head coach, goes right through the coordinators - all of them, and even to the position coaches. How many wait-til-next-year's do they get?

The one common thought in these threads is that UND has good players, but they aren't being used effectively and that UND is being out-coached. That falls on the coaches. For example, why hasn't Zimmerman been given a chance. Does it have something to do with Rudy just not liking him (as it seemed was the deal with Mollberg)? 

Don't count on anyone being in UND's corner advocating for the Hawks to get the 4th (or especially the 5th) spot out of the Big Sky in the playoffs. Since UND is playing a Big Sky schedule, they will be lumped in with the BSC and who will be the advocate for the team that is leaving over the team that is staying in the conference?

i said this before, and will repeat it, ... This coaching staff feels like it will have UND in the same position in the MVFC that Lennon did at SIU - struggling to get into the top half of the standings more often than not.

No one advocated for UND in the Big sky before.  

MVFC isn’t getting 5 teams in this year so that opens some spots. 8-3 gets UND in over ISU or any of the other scenarios out there.  

It will be a battle getting to 8-3 though

6 hours ago, Tangolou said:

If you look at the game through statistics, Weber did have their worst game on special teams for the year. They also had their worst game defensively to an FCS opponent and their best game offensively to an FCS opponent. Since statistically they are the Best Defensive team in the Big Sky and the worst offensive team in the Big Sky, that would tell me that our offense wasn't that bad but our defense was poor. 

I know you like to blame coaches for losses so given these stats, who is to blame for this one?

I gave und credit for 8 mins of a nice looking offense.....that will not cut it in the playoffs ( if they are to make it). They need a competent offense that’s capable of sustaining long drives and finishing those drives with points on a consensus basis (regardless of opponent) to succeed on the national scene and to become a true contender.

The glaring weakness on D is speed.  The lack of speed will not cut it in playoffs ( if they are to make it)  The D more often than not is pretty sound.  When they are off their game ...the offense is incapable of helping out.  The D is not allowed a bad game .....and when they do we witness Idaho st and Weber games.  

Perhaps the biggest issue for both the O and D is the lack of adjusting.  This regime is extremely hard headed.  They resist the notion to adjust accordingly to how the game is being played. They set their plan A and thats that!!!   Playing a talented team and getting out played on both sides of the ball and no change.  They live and die with plan A.  That will not cut it in the playoffs. 

Without question......Rudolph.  He’s been needing to be gone for 4 years now. 

• Upvote 1

I’ll beat this horse a bit more. 

Sioux: 1 turnover. Handful of penalties. 

Weber: had penalties that could of been a big factor against them but the advantage was not utilized. 

Fake punt negated by a penalty. 

This has me a bit concerned. 

27 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

I gave und credit for 8 mins of a nice looking offense.....that will not cut it in the playoffs ( if they are to make it). They need a competent offense that’s capable of sustaining long drives and finishing those drives with points on a consensus basis (regardless of opponent) to succeed on the national scene and to become a true contender.

The glaring weakness on D is speed.  The lack of speed will not cut it in playoffs ( if they are to make it)  The D more often than not is pretty sound.  When they are off their game ...the offense is incapable of helping out.  The D is not allowed a bad game .....and if they do we witness Idaho st and Weber games.  

Perhaps the biggest issue for both the O and D is the lack of adjusting.  This regime is extremely hard headed.  They resist the notion to adjust accordingly to how the game is being played. They set their plan A and thats that!!!   Playing a talented team and getting out played on both sides of the ball and no change.  They live and die with plan A.  That will not cut it in the playoffs. 

Without question......Rudolph.  He’s been needing to be gone for 4 years now. 

Watched UND FB from pool side cabana, definitely a new one for me.  I am being lazy and I am sure you guys caught it but most suprising to me was our D Line was manhandled, nothing works for the D when that happens.

• Upvote 3