SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I will say that there has been some bad luck with the Huff core where had things broke different (Brekke doesn't take the inadvertent elbow, Nash doesn't get screw over by the NCAA when everyone was getting that hardship while he doesn't), UND would have 1, maybe 2, more NCAA tournament appearances. 

I've come to the point that..... I just think it time... but he will probably get one more year because UND won't eat 2 years on the contract. 

I know a lot of you out there are looking for blood but I believe he serves out his contract and wouldn't be surprised if he has like he had prior to end of his last contract where he has had excellent couple of seasons where he will have been in the post season with reaching NCAA again in two years. The question is does he stay or does he move on by his choice or UND's choice. I also see him getting another contract if the above results are obtained. I think Brewster is much more on the bubble than JOnes is because he will have had one disappointing season and two loosing seasons coming into his final year. Also look at the girls team rooster it real thin on talent and I don't believe he can recruit enough talent to get himself to winner especially in the Summit conference.

• Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I don’t understand how anyone can defend Jones after 13 years. It’s time for a change. 

Would be just like Jones to scrape into another dance in his last year.

Pretty telling he wasn’t offered a higher paying job with a more prestigious program after the last one.

But those are the cruel facts of a low major program -win and you lose your coach.

What this program needs is a lifer that would stay for family reasons.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Pretty telling he wasn’t offered a higher paying job with a more prestigious program after the last one.

But those are the cruel facts of a low major program -win and you lose your coach.

I disagree about the lifer thing. We need a bunch of aggressive young coaches that get rewarded by bigger schools as we cycle through our up and comers.

8 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I disagree about the lifer thing. We need a bunch of aggressive young coaches that get rewarded by bigger schools as we cycle through our up and comers.

I would also agree with this. I mean it wouldn’t be a bad thing to have an up and comer that wants to be a lifer but with success comes bigger and better things for coaches. 

17 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

UND already has “lifers” at hockey, football and basketball. For UND hockey, that’s fine. But if that is the case for football and basketball, you get what you are currently seeing: mediocre play that bigger schools don’t touch.

UND needs young up and comers with tremendous potential for their football and basketball programs. It’s the only way. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND already has “lifers” at hockey, football and basketball. For UND hockey, that’s fine. But if that is the case for football and basketball, you get what you are currently seeing: mediocre play that bigger schools don’t touch.

UND needs young up and comers with tremendous potential for their football and basketball programs. It’s the only way. 

Was referring to a program like Vermont.  Also a hockey school, that doesn’t necessarily choose alumni.

Vermont has dominated America East this century, but did nothing for 20 years after they went DI.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont_Catamounts_men's_basketball

USD and NDSU have had up and comers.  They either leave quickly or crash out and get fired.

On 1/26/2019 at 4:26 PM, ND-fan said:

I know a lot of you out there are looking for blood but I believe he serves out his contract and wouldn't be surprised if he has like he had prior to end of his last contract where he has had excellent couple of seasons where he will have been in the post season with reaching NCAA again in two years. 

Do you really think he is going to the dance in the next two years with his current team? I was at the game in Fargo and have watched a handful of other games this year. He doesn't have the talent on his current roster to win the Summit, He may not even get his team to the tournament this year. And I am not saying NDSU is in a much better place, but they are in a little better place. NDSU doesn't lose anybody this year and UND loses 2 of their top 3 players. I would say if either team, NDSU or UND is the one team left out of the Summit tournament this year, the coach should go, whether that is Jones or Richman.

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

Do you really think he is going to the dance in the next two years with his current team? I was at the game in Fargo and have watched a handful of other games this year. He doesn't have the talent on his current roster to win the Summit, He may not even get his team to the tournament this year. And I am not saying NDSU is in a much better place, but they are in a little better place. NDSU doesn't lose anybody this year and UND loses 2 of their top 3 players. I would say if either team, NDSU or UND is the one team left out of the Summit tournament this year, the coach should go, whether that is Jones or Richman.

Thank you once again for your unsolicited analysis of NDSU's roster in reply to a post that said nothing about NDSU. 

2 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Anything can happen in the tournament, but odds are the SL rep will be one from SD.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:48 PM, nd1sufan said:

A lot can change in 2 years for both programs but from what I can see right now... No. However if you asked me that question after the 2014-2015 season I would have answered the same way. 

Do UND have a couple of nice pieces in Moody and Rebraca.  Yes.  However they need more pieces to this puzzle.  They need more of the current freshman to become impact players next year (looking at Davids, Jal and Marko here) and hope the next class can have a similar impact... since UND has little to anything in the sophomore class (and not enough production in the junior class if we are looking to next year).  

Honestly, I think out of the two senior, Avants will be a much bigger loss than Seales will be. 

Your last sentence:  I agree in spirit but if push came to shove.... NDSU will pull the trigger, UND won't eat 2 years on Jones' contract.  I think both will make it to Sioux Falls.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:48 PM, nd1sufan said:

Sioux fan but gotta agree, no way in hell Jones is taking UND to the Big Dance this season or next season. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, gfhockey said:

I bet Jones will have the boys ready to play in the summit tourney. He’s always a tourney tome coach. 

They did show they can play with sdsu

Not going to disagree with this statement.... but they got to get in.

If the <bleep> around these next 3 games, they are not going to get in. 

On 1/27/2019 at 2:39 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Was referring to a program like Vermont.  Also a hockey school, that doesn’t necessarily choose alumni.

Vermont has dominated America East this century, but did nothing for 20 years after they went DI.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont_Catamounts_men's_basketball

USD and NDSU have had up and comers.  They either leave quickly or crash out and get fired.

And USD and NDSU have had some great seasons as such. Sure they aren’t top programs currently, but still better than UND. 

I understand we all want consistenty, but if we want “great seasons” at this level, we need coaches that will eventually be hired away by bigger programs. Having coaches like Bubba and Jones is great for familiarity, but ultimately they will be medicore because otherwise bigger schools come looking. 

I vote for young coaches with great potential that also fit UND’s affordability as far as hiring football and basketball coaches. Salary is a limiting factor for UND’s non-hockey sports.