SiouxSports.com Forum

Cutting Sports: Round 2

SWSiouxMN

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Kennedy keeps bringing up the possibility of cutting sports, which causes the internet to call for WIH to get the axe, which affects Brad's job.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Pure speculation, but I wonder if as long as there's women's hockey there's a "hockey beat" and everything else. No women's hockey and Brad has to pick up some other load. 

I don't think you guys are too far off...

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

That's the number.
It's in here: http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2017/02/starting-from-the-top/ 
It's about at the bottom in the bullet points. 

Now, knowing "12%" is the working number (most common) in that document, it tells me UND had done work already because the number heard from Bismarck (and from Bresciani at NDSU recently) is "20%". 

Or thinking of this further, $1.3 million is 12% of $10.8 million. But UND's Athletics budget is more like $22 to $24 million. That says some serious work was already done in there to make only $1.3 necessary now to reach the final goals. 

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

The 20% number is misleading. Und already cut 6.55% (+ extra to cover the 6.55% of the med school building) and UND will still be increasing tuition and fees 2-5%.

Each college is being directed to finalize their plans for a reduction in appropriated funds by 12 percent.

Reduction targets in support areas of 12 percent.

Athletics has been asked to find ways to cut $1.3 million, not a percentage. 

As I see it here, it's a reduction in appropriated funds, not reduction in total expenditures. A Dept is lump sum, not giving %. 

The $1.3 in the A Dept is a small piece of the UND pie.

3 hours ago, siouxweet said:

I'm not exactly sure how title ix works but my guess is you couldn't just cut WH and call it good.  There would have to be men's sports cut as well.  $1.3 million is what two of these other programs.  If you take out WH the cuts will be more than just 2.

Actually I believe you could just cut Women's Hockey and call it good.  And that would easily cover the 1.3 mil deficit.

31 minutes ago, keikla said:

Or, just maybe, Brad's beef with Kennedy has to do with the fact that Kennedy made coaches and athletes publicly beg for their respective sport to be saved (undoubtedly a humiliating process), said "all is good, everyone is saved, this will never happen again during my time here" and now we get the "Just kidding, we actually have to cut $1.3 million, so no one is safe".  If that doesn't give you reason to have a beef with Kennedy, then I don't know what does.  It's douchebaggery at it's finest.  Need to make budget cuts?  I get that.  But find a way that doesn't absolutely humiliate your student athletes and put them and coaches through a nightmare rollercoaster of emotions.

<Insert Sicatoka's response> Not all on Kennedy, but I get it.

I don't think you'll find a single person that disagree w/ your take on the begging publicly for their sports. That was awful and should have never happened.

I'm sticking with my theory that it has more to do with this causing Anti-Women's hockey sentiment. Could be wrong, but have really been rubbed the wrong way for the past while by him.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:31 AM, Blackheart said:

Actually I believe you could just cut Women's Hockey and call it good.  And that would easily cover the 1.3 mil deficit.

True. But this is an excellent opportunity to reduce our athletic offerings from 20 to 16, thereby freeing up some resources to reinvest into our core programs (MH, FB, WBB, MBB). This is the perfect time to do this. If we wait until financial times are more prosperous, it will be harder to justify cutting any sport for any reason.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

True. But this is an excellent opportunity to reduce our athletic offerings from 20 to 16, thereby freeing up some resources to reinvest into our core programs (MH, FB, WBB, MBB). This is the perfect time to do this. If we wait until financial times are more prosperous, it will be harder to justify cutting any sport for any reason.

Unless you include WIH in the 4 you're cutting, you aren't going free up much for more resources to reinvest. Also, if you plan on going right down to 16, you are counting on Men's Golf to hit its fundraising goals or be willing to bring them back into the fold if they don't.

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Unless you include WIH in the 4 you're cutting, you aren't going free up much for more resources to reinvest. Also, if you plan on going right down to 16, you are counting on Men's Golf to hit its fundraising goals or be willing to bring them back into the fold if they don't.

I was including WH in my proposed cuts. As for men's golf, I am skeptical if they can continue to self-fund. I predict they will fold in a few years.

I suppose we could go all the way down to 14.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

I was including WH in my proposed cuts. As for men's golf, I am skeptical if they can continue to self-fund. I predict they will fold in a few years.

That makes a little more sense. I honestly don't know which sports would go, but it would likely be on the men's side if WIH is gone. S&D is about the only realistic choice left because cutting Tennis doesn't even move the needle. Your skepticism on golf is the exact reason they won't go down to 16 immediately, they need to leave a buffer for that scenario.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I am sick and tired of hearing that WH is off the table. The numbers scream for it to be at least considered for cutting. Otherwise, this whole process is a joke.

The numbers say it should be cut, but the administration says it wont', stock on on medicine and energy drinks.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Then the process remains a joke.

Agree 100%. UND survived how many decades without women's hockey. I am sure they can survive without it again. Its not that big of a sport even up here, or else why is there very little support among the high schools. Even in hockeytown (GF) the two high schools have to combine to field a team. Cut women's hockey then cut something on the men's side so Title IX won't be an issue, reallocate funds into the money makers that people actually show up for and call it a day. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The numbers say it should be cut, but the administration says it wont', stock on on medicine and energy drinks.  

The administration also said this wouldn't be revisited again. And yet here we are and with a number that could basically be solved by cutting one program.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

The administration also said this wouldn't be revisited again. And yet here we are and with a number that could basically be solved by cutting one program.

Just on participation numbers I think you still offer more opportunity by cutting WH.

UND athletics may be facing Summit penalty fees if cutting sports

Summit League members are required to pay the league a $150,000 penalty for each Summit-sponsored program eliminated during the first eight years of membership.

I hope the Summit League holds UND to this stipulation.  More ammunition for Women's Hockey to be the first sport to be cut.

Or better yet, just stay in the Big Sky.  ;)

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

UND athletics may be facing Summit penalty fees if cutting sports

I hope the Summit League holds UND to this stipulation.  More ammunition for Women's Hockey to be the first sport to be cut.

Or better yet, just stay in the Big Sky.  ;)

That could be a bigger push to axe women's hockey.

• Upvote 1