SiouxSports.com Forum

Cutting Sports: Round 2

SWSiouxMN

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4209292-und-will-again-look-cutting-sports-programs#.WJEDRqRZO9Y.twitter

From the article

This is not an effort we chose to undertake," the statement said. "It is one that outside forces necessitate us to commence. In its history, UND has faced many other foundation-shaking conditions and gone on to not only survive, but also thrive. That must be our goal."

I tip my hat to you Sic, you call this

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4209292-und-will-again-look-cutting-sports-programs#.WJEDRqRZO9Y.twitter

From the article

This is not an effort we chose to undertake," the statement said. "It is one that outside forces necessitate us to commence. In its history, UND has faced many other foundation-shaking conditions and gone on to not only survive, but also thrive. That must be our goal."

I tip my hat to you Sic, you call this

Like shootin' fish in a barrel. ;) 

• Upvote 2

If Kennedy was the best hire in a nation wide search universities are in serious trouble

this guy can't make a decision, no less stick with it

will he put his finger in the air to see what way the politics blow again

• Upvote 3

Just now, Kab said:

If Kennedy was the best hire in a nation wide search universities are in serious trouble

this guy can't make a decision, no less stick with it

will he put his finger in the air to see what way the politics blow again

I agree. This is ridiculous. Do it get it over with. Don't have another committee and hearing and make coaches and players beg. All credibility in Kennedy is out the window. My gosh. I am embarrassed. This is beyond unbelievable.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

@Goon - Can you lay out why WIH shouldn't be cut instead of just being offended that people think it is the most logical cut. The reasons why it should definitely be considered have been laid out, I'm curious why you don't think it should be on the table.

This. Also, would like Schlossman's reasoning as well.

• Upvote 1

Somebody called this previously but I believe Kennedy used the committee as a pawn knowing they wouldn't make cuts. He took the pressure off of himself then so he has free reign now. People will call him a tyrant after he has the testicular fortitude to make cuts but it will fall on deaf ears because he gave the academics a chance to make something happen and they did nothing. Now we wait and see how he handles this.

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Mens/Womens swimming and diving has close to a million dollar budget.  Wouldn't have to worry about title 9 and they could close the hyslop swimming pool.

It would be funny if he didn't cut anything again (not really).

From a University standpoint, you can't really keep crying wolf on this issue. They brought it up again, it has to be done now.

Trying to answer my own question, I found a DU blog that claims the Summit requires "men’s and women’s basketball plus five additional core sports". That sounds low. 

So, I looked at Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_League ):

- the lowest mens sports sponsor in the Summit is DU and IPFW at 5 each. NDSU is at 6. 
- the lowest womens sports sponsor in the Summit is DU at 6. IPFW, NDSU, and ORU are at 8 each. 

So DU has 11 in the Summit; IPFW has 13, and NDSU has 14. 

I know DU has M/W skiing and lacrosse (and they claim to have hockey ;) ) to get to the DI minimum of 14. IPFW has MVB to get to 14. NDSU has 14 not counting FB and wrestling. 

12 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

Who is always following the Bison.

5 hours ago, Gothmog said:

Again, actual events have nothing to do with it. We are in the realm of counterfactual history. The original post asks us to imagine what would have been best for the state, not what actually happened, or even what was most likely to happen.

Gothmog you are wrong again, the original post does not...

Bison Dan and I were posting and his post above stated UND always following Bison. 

See the word always. I was making the point that we were a U 1st and Ag School followed with a school later, showing that they followed 1st and many times there after. That's the original post.