SiouxSports.com Forum

Cutting Sports: Round 2

SWSiouxMN

44 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

@Goon now I'm just calling you out because you're ignoring answering the question despite continuing to comment about it on twitter and in top of it, trying to send one of the biggest Duluth trolls out there to do it for you. If your going to be vocal in your defense, state your case instead of taking pot shots. 

I am not sure why you think I need to reiterate my opinion on Women's hockey. I've covered their program for five years.  It's pretty clear where I stand. I am not sure what you're calling a pot shot? I do find it puzzling that a handful of posters on here just want to cut women's hockey willy nilly.

I would suggest that these same fans spend a few bucks and actually go see the program that you're attacking. Can you name three freshmen players from this team without looking at the roster? Since you probably haven't seen a woman's game this season's UND's freshman class is really exciting and talented. Minus the twins, probably one of Idahlski's best. 

It's not that easy. Can you imagine that national outcry if UND cut a major woman's sport? I would be seen as cutting a woman's sport to re-allocate money to a man's sport. I am dead serious. Our university doesn't need the bad publicity. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, Westside said:

Not lobbying for Women's Hockey in anyway (I think it should be the first to go) but.... the 3rd prong of Title IX deals with equal treatment...

It states for facilities...

Being REA provides a word-class facility for the men's program w/ state-of-the-art locker room, training rooms, team lounges, meeting rooms, weight rooms, etc. etc. Does eliminating women's hockey mean there is are no women's programs with access to "comparable facilities"??? Is that a reason that women's hockey hasn't been discussed as a possible cut at this point? 

Just asking a question... If any Title IX "experts"  can provide info on this???

I'm also not lobbying for WH, although it may seem to some on this board that I am, because I've been making many comments about why we will continue to have WH.  And I'll add, that I do not mind that we have WH.

UND funds both Hockey teams at the highest levels with the big schools in the NCAA, top level of Div I.  They share near the best building and facilities within. UND isn’t even close to that type of support for any other sport.

Hypothetical again:

If UND cut WH, I would think to stay compliant with Title IX, they would have to choose a women’s sport and fund it comparably with the best  in the country. That would be funding that sport at the caliber of the top funding Universities in that particular sport, including building and facilities within. We don't have the $ to make that happen. 

WH was in the plans from Day 1 with the palace and will not be chopped. It's part of the big plan for 14 more years.

28 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I'm also not lobbying for WH, although it may seem to some on this board that I am, because I've been making many comments about why we will continue to have WH.  And I'll add, that I do not mind that we have WH.

UND funds both Hockey teams at the highest levels with the big schools in the NCAA, top level of Div I.  They share near the best building and facilities within. UND isn’t even close to that type of support for any other sport.

Hypothetical again:

If UND cut WH, I would think to stay compliant with Title IX, they would have to choose a women’s sport and fund it comparably with the best  in the country. That would be funding that sport at the caliber of the top funding Universities in that particular sport, including building and facilities within. We don't have the $ to make that happen. 

WH was in the plans from Day 1 with the palace and will not be chopped. It's part of the big plan for 14 more years.

Was in the plans from who? Ralph? I don't have enough information on the rest and you could be right and that's the reason it wasn't on the chopping block, but I can guarantee what I put in bold would not be the reason for keeping it.

• Upvote 1

Seems to be a lot of concern about having to keep women's hockey solely because of men's hockey.  How do the top notch football universities ever get in compliance with title IX?   My guess is they make sure they offer enough scholarships to offset in women's sports, and make sure their women's athletic facilities are nice.   End of story. 

Alabama for instance has a women's rowing team with 58 members on the roster.  I don't know if they're rowing for Carnival Cruise lines, but if not, 58 seems a bit excessive.  I'm thinking it's their way of offsetting football, giving equal scholarships to women.  It seems to work just fine for them. 

5 minutes ago, Siouhawk said:

I have two intriguing questions:  1.  Who is funding men golf and why?   2.  Why is there no checking in women's hockey?

#2 still greatly perplexes me.  It's women on women for crying out loud, let 'em freakin' check!  Speed/pace AND physicality is what makes hockey great in my mind! And I'm no male pig, I go to/enjoy UND women's hoops as much as men's hoops over the last 35 years.  I was raised on soccer as a young lad in Europe, coach girls youth soccer here, and go watch lady UND soccer matches cus it's the same game and I enjoy it.  But ice hockey, on the women's side, the game just ain't the same and I ain't buying it.       

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Hypothetical again:

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Was in the plans from who? Ralph? I don't have enough information on the rest and you could be right and that's the reason it wasn't on the chopping block, but I can guarantee what I put in bold would not be the reason for keeping it.

The dream about the palace was all about MH and make $.. There was a group of very smart people (including Raplh) that visited the best rinks in the country and had very productive meetings. They gathered information (which included a must to start WH, cuz of Title IX & other reasons, to protect MH), and moved forward with a 30 year plan for UND Hockey, and The Raplh was built. There could be a book written about this, I'm trying to do it in a paragraph. 16 years later we have fans (not UND) talking about cutting WH.

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The dream about the palace was all about MH and make $.. There was a group of very smart people (including Raplh) that visited the best rinks in the country and had very productive meetings. They gathered information (which included a must to start WH, cuz of Title IX & other reasons, to protect MH), and moved forward with a 30 year plan for UND Hockey, and The Raplh was built. There could be a book written about this, I'm trying to do it in a paragraph. 16 years later we have fans (not UND) talking about cutting WH.

Wasn't women's hockey started after local youth girls hockey club raised a stink about opportunity?  The school formed a committee (go figure) to look at the costs and knew at that time (late 90s?) it would be a challenge.  I don't recall Ralph being a part of that. 

If I understand this right, Goon finds it unfathomable to suggest that WH should be dropped.  

But it is OK for us to suggest Soccer, Softball or Swimming and Diving.  

Something is getting cut.  WH should at least be in the discussion based on $.  If they can legitimize it's existence over other sports, so be it.  But they better explain it to us.

The problem I see with cutting other lower sports is the Summit sponsors all of them.  Would make a nice home for Tennis, S&D, Soccer, etc.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Goon said:

I am not sure why you think I need to reiterate my opinion on Women's hockey. I've covered their program for five years.  It's pretty clear where I stand. I am not sure what you're calling a pot shot? I do find it puzzling that a handful of posters on here just want to cut women's hockey willy nilly.

I would suggest that these same fans spend a few bucks and actually go see the program that you're attacking. Can you name three freshmen players from this team without looking at the roster? Since you probably haven't seen a woman's game this season's UND's freshman class is really exciting and talented. Minus the twins, probably one of Idahlski's best. 

It's not that easy. Can you imagine that national outcry if UND cut a major woman's sport? I would be seen as cutting a woman's sport to re-allocate money to a man's sport. I am dead serious. Our university doesn't need the bad publicity. 

To sum it up: you like women's hockey, people will go nuts if they cut it.  Great defense of the program right there.  Absolutely nothing about their budget and what percentage it is of our entire athletic department.

Also, your comment about not being able to cut a women's sport is horrible.  The money wouldn't be reallocated at all, it would be gone and never spent again.  Called "cutting the budget".  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

If I understand this right, Goon finds it unfathomable to suggest that WH should be dropped.  

But it is OK for us to suggest Soccer, Softball or Swimming and Diving.  

Something is getting cut.  WH should at least be in the discussion based on $.  If they can legitimize it's existence over other sports, so be it.  But they better explain it to us.

The problem I see with cutting other lower sports is the Summit sponsors all of them.  Would make a nice home for Tennis, S&D, Soccer, etc.

This!!!

8 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Seems to be a lot of concern about having to keep women's hockey solely because of men's hockey.  How do the top notch football universities ever get in compliance with title IX?   My guess is they make sure they offer enough scholarships to offset in women's sports, and make sure their women's athletic facilities are nice.   End of story. 

Alabama for instance has a women's rowing team with 58 members on the roster.  I don't know if they're rowing for Carnival Cruise lines, but if not, 58 seems a bit excessive.  I'm thinking it's their way of offsetting football, giving equal scholarships to women.  It seems to work just fine for them. 

I said this a couple months ago. I would bet money that there are a couple ladies on the rowing teams at Minnesota and Iowa who probably are not even aware they are on the team.

• Upvote 2

Kind of a tangent but found this interesting in the Fargo Forum this morning............NDSU's recruiting class for women's soccer consisted of 8 ladies with 5 of those were from Canada. Guess UND women's hockey recruiting from outside the US is not such a big deal after seeing this.

Now back on topic........................IMO women's hockey needs to be in the main discussion of a sport to go.