SiouxSports.com Forum

Cutting Sports: Round 2

SWSiouxMN

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Majority of it is money they raised from putting on camps. The balance is listed as miscellaneous funds. They also have to cover the expenses of the camps, which is listed in their expenses.

Youth swimming lessons might be another money maker for them.. .unless you're counting that under camps too. 

28 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

UND needs 16 sports if they ever want to go FBS in football.  So your idea won't work.

But, in the mean time they can try and reduce losses/stabilize budget by eliminating sports that cost the most and bring in the least amount of revenue/attention.  

I don't see any reason for football to go FBS.

15 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Volleyball and W Hockey are about the Same.

Yeahhh.  One has half the budget of the other but brings in 3X the revenue.  But, yah, they are exactly the same.  :silly:

Also, when Volleyball reports there are 1,000 people at their match, there are actually close to 1,000 people at the match.

Just now, UND-1 said:

Yeahhh.  One has half the budget of the other but brings in 3X the revenue.  But, yah, they are exactly the same.  :silly:

Also, when Volleyball reports there are 1,000 people at their match, there are actually close to 1,000 people at the match.

Holy crap.  Who said exactly the same?  Who said anything about revenue? Who said anything about their budget.  Attendance is about the same.  Both about 1K. 

• Upvote 1

Women's hockey at UND was supposed to be a stimulus for girls youth hockey in Grand Forks.  It hasn't happened. 

Grand Forks has a single 10U girls team (there are 6 boys squirt teams), a single 12U team (7 boys peewee teams), and a single 14U team (6 boys bantam).  There is a combined girls high school team in the city with no JV, compared to 2 varsity, 2 JV and a junior gold team for the boys. (FWIW, I think participation on the East side is much better.) 

I would like to keep women's hockey.  There are only 3 sports at UND that have a shot at a national title and women's hockey is one of them.  Plus, it produces Olympians.  But it is expensive and times are extremely tough.  It definitely needs to be on the table.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, lawkota said:

Women's hockey at UND was supposed to be a stimulus for girls youth hockey in Grand Forks.  It hasn't happened. 

Grand Forks has a single 10U girls team (there are 6 boys squirt teams), a single 12U team (7 boys peewee teams), and a single 14U team (6 boys bantam).  There is a combined girls high school team in the city with no JV, compared to 2 varsity, 2 JV and a junior gold team for the boys. (FWIW, I think participation on the East side is much better.) 

I would like to keep women's hockey.  There are only 3 sports at UND that have a shot at a national title and women's hockey is one of them.  Plus, it produces Olympians.  But it is expensive and times are extremely tough.  It definitely needs to be on the table.

How many Grand Forks girls play on boys teams?  Since the twins played on boys teams at youth, there has been a spike in GF girls playing on youth teams.

7 minutes ago, Air Force One said:

How many Grand Forks girls play on boys teams?  Since the twins played on boys teams at youth, there has been a spike in GF girls playing on youth teams.

Since GF has youth girls teams, my guess on girls playing on boys teams over the age of 10U would be 0.

5 hours ago, Big Green said:

Either we are a hockey town or just a Sioux Men's hockey town.  They need a new coach.  Do that and start winning the fan's will come.

Women's hockey is a good alternative to people that can't afford tickets to the men's game.

The whole student "athlete opportunities" does nothing for me.  If no one is willing to watch them play than big deal.

Women'shockey generates more fan interest then Tennis, Golf, Softball, Soccer and Swimming and Diving.  Look there before cutiing Women's Hockey.  

So its about the fans as opposed to the student athletes?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Air Force One said:

I think there are a couple playing squirts but I don't believe there are any playing peewees or bantams.

2 minutes ago, Big Green said:

its abouit the univerisity. 

You mentioned nothing about the university.

"The whole student "athlete opportunities" does nothing for me.  If no one is willing to watch them play than big deal.

Women'shockey generates more fan interest then Tennis, Golf, Softball, Soccer and Swimming and Diving.  Look there before cutiing Women's Hockey."

• Upvote 1

Just now, bison73 said:

You mentioned nothing about the university.

"The whole student "athlete opportunities" does nothing for me.  If no one is willing to watch them play than big deal.

Women'shockey generates more fan interest then Tennis, Golf, Softball, Soccer and Swimming and Diving.  Look there before cutiing Women's Hockey."

No I didn't mention the Univerity directly.  Example last year I would go to Choice Fitness to workout.  At the same time UND was playing a tennis match.  No one was there except the Student Athletes.  They would play all the matches at the sametime and an hour later it was done.  The other team would leave.  What a waste of money.  No benifit to the university.  At least with Womens hockey fan's both student and non-students go to the games. 

4 minutes ago, Big Green said:

No I didn't mention the Univerity directly.  Example last year I would go to Choice Fitness to workout.  At the same time UND was playing a tennis match.  No one was there except the Student Athletes.  They would play all the matches at the sametime and an hour later it was done.  The other team would leave.  What a waste of money.  No benifit to the university.  At least with Womens hockey fan's both student and non-students go to the games. 

So, should the only factor to take into account be attendance?

This is insane.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Big Green said:

No I didn't mention the Univerity directly.  Example last year I would go to Choice Fitness to workout.  At the same time UND was playing a tennis match.  No one was there except the Student Athletes.  They would play all the matches at the sametime and an hour later it was done.  The other team would leave.  What a waste of money.  No benifit to the university.  At least with Womens hockey fan's both student and non-students go to the games

Those 500-1000 fans/game certainly make it worth two million dollars a year.  Strong argument.

• Upvote 1