SiouxSports.com Forum

Cutting Sports: Round 2

SWSiouxMN

45 minutes ago, sprig said:

Why pile on goon? Ultimately he will not decide what gets cut,  and what doesn't.  He likes women's hockey,  as do others.  Many here do not.  

Considering he tried to bring one of the biggest Duluth trolls out there, who has an absolute hatred of everything UND, over here to make his argument for him instead of doing it himself, seems fair.

There is no shame in liking women's hockey, I attend a few games and enjoy it for what it is. However, it is his stance that it is unfathomable that women's hockey should even be in consideration for being cut, then not defending it while continuing taking half-informed shots on twitter at people who have laid out their arguments with actual numbers is what people rightly have an issue with. Seriously, the fact that he continues to not even see why it should be discussed while offering zero other possible solutions is mind-blowing.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, sprig said:

Why pile on goon? Ultimately he will not decide what gets cut,  and what doesn't.  He likes women's hockey,  as do others.  Many here do not.  

Because he piles on the naysayers from this board via twitter.  That's why.  

• Upvote 2

I personally enjoy women's hockey and attend the games while I am in town. I think with hockey being so popular in the area a lot of little girls grow up learning to skate and potentially playing hockey. If we cut the women's team, fewer girls will have the dream of playing hockey. I also enjoy the international flair on the team and having numerous women's players in international tournaments including the Olympics.

That being said, I live in Colorado and only make it to about a game a year. While attendance is higher now than when I was I college, it still seems small for the large building. I would think k for women's hockey, cutting the team will save you coaches salaries (although would there be a severance package?), travel, and equipment. You aren't saving money on facilities because the Ralph is still there.

I see both sides of the argument. I understand that women's hockey doesn't generate revenue. But a majority of the sports do not. I would look at lowering expenses for women's hockey and hope to keep it.

• Upvote 1

--If we cut UND tennis fewer girls in Grand Forks will want to play tennis.

--If we cut UND soccer fewer girls in Grand Forks will want to play soccer.  

Would like to see a study that proves these statements true.  Until then I want to go with hard facts & numbers, and I hope Kennedy does, as well.  

15 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

I personally enjoy women's hockey and attend the games while I am in town. I think with hockey being so popular in the area a lot of little girls grow up learning to skate and potentially playing hockey. If we cut the women's team, fewer girls will have the dream of playing hockey. I also enjoy the international flair on the team and having numerous women's players in international tournaments including the Olympics.

That being said, I live in Colorado and only make it to about a game a year. While attendance is higher now than when I was I college, it still seems small for the large building. I would think k for women's hockey, cutting the team will save you coaches salaries (although would there be a severance package?), travel, and equipment. You aren't saving money on facilities because the Ralph is still there.

I see both sides of the argument. I understand that women's hockey doesn't generate revenue. But a majority of the sports do not. I would look at lowering expenses for women's hockey and hope to keep it.

I believe Women's Hockey also gets some funds for athlete's for extra expenses that our glorious AD said we would do without even checking in to see if we could afford it.

17 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

You aren't saving money on facilities because the Ralph is still there.

You actually are because you wouldn't have to it staff during games and open it up for practices. In terms of what the program costs, it is probably a small percentage, but it something.

I think most people see both sides of the argument but rightfully have an issue that it was (and still is to some) considered untouchable with no factual reason given, especially when the true numbers and ROI all the sudden were discussed publicly.

8 minutes ago, Csonked Out said:

I believe Women's Hockey also gets some funds for athlete's for extra expenses that our glorious AD said we would do without even checking in to see if we could afford it.

That reminds me, since our programs are moving into the Summit/MVFC, that means we'll be playing against teams that are funding FCOA. There goes your rationale (I think it was you) for not funding it because "the Big Sky schools aren't doing it".

53 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

--If we cut UND tennis fewer girls in Grand Forks will want to play tennis.

--If we cut UND soccer fewer girls in Grand Forks will want to play soccer.  

Would like to see a study that proves these statements true.  Until then I want to go with hard facts & numbers, and I hope Kennedy does, as well.  

If Grand Forks is so gung ho on women's hockey as some think why isn't there enough girls from Central and Red River to field a team separately? It's either a money thing or a popular thing, ND fields 17 schools on the boys side with 8 in the east region alone, there is 11 schools (some combined) in the state that sponsor girls hockey. Maybe it's not as popular as some think.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, homer said:

Wasn't women's hockey started after local youth girls hockey club raised a stink about opportunity?  The school formed a committee (go figure) to look at the costs and knew at that time (late 90s?) it would be a challenge.  I don't recall Ralph being a part of that. 

Ralph most likely was not a part of that. When the U's group & Ralphs team formed the plan to make the U 's MH one of the best, WH was in that plan.

25 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Ralph most likely was not a part of that. When the U's group & Ralphs team formed the plan to make the U 's MH one of the best, WH was in that plan.

Source?

You keep saying Ralph cared about WIH when there is no record of it.

21 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So if you had a choice to cut 2-4 sports or cut just 1 sport to save the same amount of money, what is the more logical thing to do?

"The only sport that matters is Women's hockey, so clearly cut the 2-4 sports " Goon

• Upvote 1