SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND vs NAU 1pm

geaux_sioux

4 minutes ago, Hambone said:

They did actually show a replay right away on the big screen for this play (as they wanted to replay the fumble recovery), and he definitely pitched it forward.  To the naked eye it did look like it was a bungled hand off, but it was the right call.

Ok.  Thanks.  To the naked eye, it looked like there was a collision in the backfield that caused a fumble.  Thanks.

I posted the below question under SFI's recap of the game. Anyone here care to give their thoughts?

Question on the freshman OL that dressed. What was the mentality in choosing those specific players?

I believe there were others who were more highly touted coming in, and are supposed to be better players, but was the thought, we don’t want to burn redshirts on the better players, so lets just get some capable bodies in there?

Just now, MoSiouxFan said:

Ok.  Thanks.  To the naked eye, it looked like there was a collision in the backfield that caused a fumble.  Thanks.

It's Bob Stitt's contribution to modern college football offense.  You lose the deception that comes with the possibility of a fake handoff but gain the security of knowing it's incomplete if the timing is off (rather than a fumble).  The boos in the Alerus were certainly loud and if you didn't see the pitch you'd certainly think it's a fumble.  But our coaches weren't arguing because they knew.

18 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Remember Fargo doesn't have hockey.  We have 12,000 fans that sink a lot of their money into hockey  every game.  You just have to be realistic about how many fans we can regularly put into the football games.  We definitely can build our fan base for football but it is only going to grow in relation to the size community we have.  There is only so many fans and businesses to go around.  What a great time be a UND sports fan though.  If NDSU had another sport on campus that was regularly putting 12,000 fans in the seats their football ticket sales might be affected too.  Go UND.

21 minutes ago, Dustin said:

The difference between Fargo, Missoula, and Bozeman, is that football is their cash cow sport, whereas Grand Forks has hockey.  And it has hockey 2 nights on a weekend.  And a season that lasts 5 months.  That's a lot of games.  If Grand Forks didn't have 11-12k going to every hockey game (over 200,000 people for a full season), there would be 11k at football games.  So you say, "can't people do both?"  Sure, they CAN.  But that's a pretty big commitment.

So based on these responses, we should just lock the attendance thread and not talk about it anymore, because the die is cast? I respectfully disagree. There are people who can't afford hockey, but could afford football and these are the people we need to get and in many cases are not getting.

10 minutes ago, UND08 said:

It's Bob Stitt's contribution to modern college football offense.  You lose the deception that comes with the possibility of a fake handoff but gain the security of knowing it's incomplete if the timing is off (rather than a fumble).  The boos in the Alerus were certainly loud and if you didn't see the pitch you'd certainly think it's a fumble.  But our coaches weren't arguing because they knew.

Yep, it's clear now.  I hadn't seen the replay and, to be honest, wasn't aware of that rule.

24 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I posted the below question under SFI's recap of the game. Anyone here care to give their thoughts?

Question on the freshman OL that dressed. What was the mentality in choosing those specific players?

I believe there were others who were more highly touted coming in, and are supposed to be better players, but was the thought, we don’t want to burn redshirts on the better players, so lets just get some capable bodies in there?

It had to do with the positions they played in relation to the severity of the injuries of the current players.  Plus some of the freshmen are not physically or mentally ready to play, which isn't a slam seeing that they've been playing scout team all year, not repping with the UND offense.  My opinion is that they would have burned a redshirt of any player in the NAU game if they had no other choice or if it would help them win a conference championship.   

30 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So based on these responses, we should just lock the attendance thread and not talk about it anymore, because the die is cast? I respectfully disagree. There are people who can't afford hockey, but could afford football and these are the people we need to get and in many cases are not getting.

I don't think I'm alone by saying;

It would be nice to keep the attendance talk on the attendance thread.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

No.  All I said is that comparing football attendance to NDSU, UM, and MSU is not a controlled experiment due to the hockey factor.  I personally think the Al should be sold out every game just like the Ralph is.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree with you.  I just think we need to be a little realistic. We have a little smaller group to work with.    I do think with work we could eventually fill the joint for a lot of key games.  This is fun conversation.  So different than it has been the last few years.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

All that and it was a dart! No soft lob from the Moose!

Yes it was a dart, and good thing too otherwise it could have maybe gotten picked off if he lobbed it.  He bought time on that play too, he gets a 10 out of 10 for execution on that one for sure!  And that fake was one of the better fakes I've ever seen, maybe if he wouldn't have faked out the cameraman they could have submitted it for a top 10 plays of the week or something. 

8 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Our passing game in the 2nd half (Keaton throwing, Wanzek, Toivo, Mercer and Reed catching) really looked like a DI attack!

I would have never guessed Wanzek would have had as much of an impact as he has this year. Kid has a bright future.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Our passing game in the 2nd half (Keaton throwing, Wanzek, Toivo, Mercer and Reed catching) really looked like a DI attack!

Agree. We were down by 21 but Rudolph still mixed it up in his play calling. This team can throw the ball which will take defenders out of the box which makes running the ball easier as well. Keeping defenses off balance is key moving forward.  This team isn't built for 3rd and 8 when they have to throw the ball on 3rd down.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Agree. We were down by 21 but Rudolph still mixed it up in his play calling. This team can throw the ball which will take defenders out of the box which makes running the ball easier as well. Keeping defenses off balance is key moving forward.  This team isn't built for 3rd and 8 when they have to throw the ball on 3rd down.

Its actually kind of funny how many times they run on 3rd and long and get about 15. They did it a few times against N Colorado and again a few times against N Arizona.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

This team can throw the ball which will take defenders out of the box which makes running the ball easier as well.

58 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

They started throwing on first down in the second half.  Didn't always connect but needed to loosen up the linebackers.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Its actually kind of funny how many times they run on 3rd and long and get about 15.

Hmmmmmmmmm............it's all making sense now.