SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND vs NAU 1pm

geaux_sioux

8 hours ago, 77iceman said:

I doubt they are worried.

What a great season, though!  Some very entertaining games, for sure.

I think you're right, should of said "I hope the Bizon are getting worried".  And while I'm at it, if they might be a little over confident if we play them, GREAT, then we'll have a chance!!!!

6 hours ago, Dagger said:

I agree with you.  I just think we need to be a little realistic. We have a little smaller group to work with.    I do think with work we could eventually fill the joint for a lot of key games.  This is fun conversation.  So different than it has been the last few years.

Filling the Alerus Center for important games is a good goal to shoot for right now.

Have to give the coaching staff and receivers a lot of credit for the second half adjustment in the passing game.  NAU was getting away with jamming our receivers all the way down the field, so we adjusted and played off of that.  We might have been pushing off a bit, but in comparison to what the NAU DBs were doing, it was pretty minor.  Our receivers did a great job of giving Keaton a safe spot to throw to, and had great timing in breaking to those back shoulder throws.  Pretty impressive when you consider all three of them are in their first year with the QB.

49 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I think you're right, should of said "I hope the Bizon are getting worried".  And while I'm at it, if they might be a little over confident if we play them, GREAT, then we'll have a chance!!!!

I can't remember if I wrote it somewhere on the forum or just thought it, but I still say we're 2-3 touchdown underdogs to the bison. They probably go up 31-10 on us (like NAU) and we don't recover. But the gap will be even closer in just a year. 

3 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I can't remember if I wrote it somewhere on the forum or just thought it, but I still say we're 2-3 touchdown underdogs to the bison. They probably go up 31-10 on us (like NAU) and we don't recover. But the gap will be even closer in just a year. 

And EWU is just as good if not better...

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Hmmmmmmmmm............it's all making sense now.

After the 2nd game of the season, who'd evr thunk, we'd be watching UND's second half comeback against NAU resulting in a run of the table for the rest of the season? Playoffs, Leave no Doubt!

Keeping in mind all the injuries, this team has dramatically improved since then, especially the offense. This coaching staff seemed to really have a feel for the players they had and coached accordingly, kept improving the team, and built a team that can make a mark on the FCS playoff landscape.

This team deserves a top 8 seed.  This year the Big Sky didn't give anyone an easy schedule.

After time off to heal up, UND will be ready to be tested by the best in the playoffs.

This team is better than I've been giving them credit for, they've showed some real talent lately.

Gotta love the coaches and staff!

Football success is a lot about being a team, UND has a FB Team!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dustin said:

31 -10 is pretty close to last year's score and they had Wentz, a better defense, and a better o-line.  I would expect a much closer game and certainly not unreasonable to think it is a game we could win.  Also pretty sure they wouldn't be a 3 TD favorite.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Ya, if we get a crack at them, they'll most definitely be favorites, and of course they get home field advantage.  Sure they could beat us like they did last year (unlikely), or buy less (because we are better than last year and they don't have the talent they had last year), or we could play with them (possibly beat them at the conclusion of the game like their last three losses; Mont, SD, SDSU). 

28 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

31 -10 is pretty close to last year's score and they had Wentz, a better defense, and a better o-line.  I would expect a much closer game and certainly not unreasonable to think it is a game we could win.  Also pretty sure they wouldn't be a 3 TD favorite.

Yep. Stick isn't half the QB Wentz was. 

3 minutes ago, Finn flick said:

Are you guys referring to that pass to  TE Fiedler in the end zone? Brilliant but not sure it was a called play. I think Brady saw the opening and took lt but 

then again, what do I know?

I would have to imagine it was designed. If it wasn't then that's a hell of a ballsy play by Brady and could have led to a benching if not executed and maybe even if it was. 

17 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Probably. My point wasn't to rip Stick, but to point out that without Wentz they don't blow UND out. UND will stop the run. Stick isn't any better than several QBs we've already faced. 

Yep.  Last year UND held ndsu to 2.7 yds per carry. Other than 35 yd run by Frazier, the gains were pretty minimal. Wentz picked UND apart for 262 & 4 TDs. Our secondary is vastly improved this year as well.  not saying we'd win, but it would have the makings of a much closer game this year. 

50 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

So if NAU can go up 3 TD's, can't NDSU?  We just let it happen to a team that's not going to make the playoffs. Fortunately we came all the way back and won. If a top 2 seeded team does that at home, I would expect them to close the deal. Maybe not 31-10, but somewhere in that 10-20 point range.  Now if we never let it happen in the first place, I'm thinking a different story. 

27 minutes ago, Finn flick said:

Are you guys referring to that pass to  TE Fiedler in the end zone? Brilliant but not sure it was a called play. I think Brady saw the opening and took lt but 

There is no way the play wasn't designed the way it was executed.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Finn flick said:

May have been a run/pass option, but if it was a straight run our lineman would have been down field blocking trying to get on the second level. 

20 hours ago, Westside said:

SFI just posted a replay of the play...

My problem with this is that the quarterback should need to establish possession before "passing" it forward - I'm not sure that slowed down replay demonstrates that possession had been established - and if that's not the rule, it should be.