SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: UND vs NAU 1pm

geaux_sioux

11 hours ago, Finn flick said:

Are you guys referring to that pass to  TE Fiedler in the end zone? Brilliant but not sure it was a called play. I think Brady saw the opening and took lt but 

then again, what do I know?

If it wasn't designed, why was Fiedler standing in the back of the end zone instead of blocking for the run? 

1 hour ago, DamStrait said:

My problem with this is that the quarterback should need to establish possession before "passing" it forward - I'm not sure that slowed down replay demonstrates that possession had been established - and if that's not the rule, it should be.

The side view shows he had two hands on it and stopped the momentum of the ball and then reversed the momentum back toward the line. I'd say he had control (hence possession) of the ball. 

2 hours ago, DamStrait said:

My problem with this is that the quarterback should need to establish possession before "passing" it forward - I'm not sure that slowed down replay demonstrates that possession had been established - and if that's not the rule, it should be.

THIS!

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

The side view shows he had two hands on it and stopped the momentum of the ball and then reversed the momentum back toward the line. I'd say he had control (hence possession) of the ball. 

By that logic, any hand off in front of the quarterback would be considered a pass since he is moving the ball forward an inch into the RB's hands.  I understand the ruling, but from the naked eye it looked like a fumble and I doubt the NAU coach would have complained had they ruled it that way.

18 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

By that logic, any hand off in front of the quarterback would be considered a pass since he is moving the ball forward an inch into the RB's hands.  I understand the ruling, but from the naked eye it looked like a fumble and I doubt the NAU coach would have complained had they ruled it that way.

Ah, but you miss the key: A handoff involves two people contacting the ball at once. Relook at the video from the side angle; the ball was moving toward the line and airborne with no one touching it if even just momentarily. That's a forward pass. 

Under the rules as written today, the officials got that one right. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Ah, but you miss the key: A handoff involves two people contacting the ball at once. Relook at the video from the side angle; the ball was moving toward the line and airborne with no one touching it if even just momentarily. That's a forward pass. 

Under the rules as written today, the officials got that one right. 

You are correct. 

1 hour ago, Feff said:

Rewatched the end of the game and man, Reyes nearly ended the last NAU drive twice. Two potential interceptions, one he dropped, one the LB tipped away from him. 

I noticed that also during the game and Bubba commented on that during yesterday's press conference. He played his ass off trying to end it then and there.

Reyes is very, very good -- of course, we all knew that already. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

And my principal point is that it takes slowed down replay (and as you point out, a particular angle) to see (infer?) that, but at full speed I bet it is nearly indistinguishable and as such hardly establishes possession IMHO.

17 minutes ago, DamStrait said:

And my principal point is that it takes slowed down replay (and as you point out, a particular angle) to see (infer?) that, but at full speed I bet it is nearly indistinguishable and as such hardly establishes possession IMHO.

Slowed down, it's hard to prove that ball went forward vs straight up in the air.  

23 hours ago, Dustin said:

So if NAU can go up 3 TD's, can't NDSU?  We just let it happen to a team that's not going to make the playoffs. Fortunately we came all the way back and won. If a top 2 seeded team does that at home, I would expect them to close the deal. Maybe not 31-10, but somewhere in that 10-20 point range.  Now if we never let it happen in the first place, I'm thinking a different story. 

NAU is the real deal of a FB team and they have just struck bad luck this year. I would not want to replay them or meet them in the playoffs as their team is one best on both sides of the ball in the Big Sky. If our defense could slow the Bison offense I think we would have a good chance. If they still had Wentz or we had last years defense then it wouldn't be pretty.