SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

Does anyone know if there was a buyout option with the Big Sky regarding football? So if we had wanted to make the move the MVFC in 2018 we could have? Or was that something neither conference would have allowed because of existing scheduling? I have to imagine anything is doable for a price.

On 1/24/2017 at 10:06 PM, jdub27 said:

Well the news has definitely given some FargoU fans a sense of self-importance on message boards and Twitter, so I guess they have that going for them? The entertainment from teeth-gnashing, excuse making and revisionist history of them is an added bonus in this whole thing. 

No, the bonus is und crawling back to ndsu after years of blowing and going about the coup that was the Big Sky, that only und could get into.  Only On Sioux sports, spin away!

• Downvote 4

13 hours ago, Gothmog said:

Here an quote from a a Letter to The Herald by former Chester Fritz Distinguished Professor at UND, Dr. Michael Anderegg. It's old (2001), but I think it sums up your attitude and the current attitude of many UND supporters well:

"Ever since arriving at UND some 28 years ago, I have heard much talk about the excellence of UND as an educational institution. Much of this talk was naïve and ill-informed, based on little more than wishful thinking..." 

Your suggestion that UND is much better than its regional competitors (I believe you used the phrase "it ain't even close") is exactly the sort of talk  Dr. Anderegg referred to as "naïve and ill-informed" 16 years ago. Some things never change.

BTW - Do some research into NDSU's Department of Coatings and Polymeric Materials.

never heard of him...

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Or Med School....or Law School.....or Business School....

You mean the law school that graduates have one of the worst rates of passing the bar?  Med school, what 80 some doctors a year graduate for how many millions of taxpayer funded dollars.

• Downvote 4

7 hours ago, Herd said:

No, the bonus is und crawling back to ndsu after years of blowing and going about the coup that was the Big Sky, that only und could get into.  Only On Sioux sports, spin away!

Wasn't there a need for a 10th team in the Summit?  Your AD and knee pad wearing Messi's mouthpiece sure thought so.  UND was the logical fit so perhaps this has been a mutual discussion for a while but UND negotiated the MVFC part as the Big Sky likely had no interest in affiliate membership.  I'd say the crawling part could have been mutual as there seems to be a win win for all party's. 

8 hours ago, Herd said:

Crawling back to NDSU?  Like they own the Summit League.  They just added you, my lord.  

That arrogance right there....???

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Herd said:

Crawling back? Seems like UND got everything they wanted out of the deal. Lower travel costs and a home for their football team, despite the fact that it doesn't really benefit the MVFC. Seems like the Summit wanted a 10th team enough that the schools in the league had no issue adding an unneeded team to their football conference.

On 2/1/2017 at 0:45 PM, Gothmog said:

Hasn't UND already said that the Nickel Trophy won't be part of the renewed rivalry?  

There is zero chance that the Nickel Trophy will be part of the renewed rivalry.  We aren't going to risk further scrutiny and possible sanctions from the NCAA by using a trophy that has an Indian head on it that represents UND.  

Hell - we were worried because we overlooked a Sioux logo on a lineup card we posted in the players box during an NCAA hockey game a few years ago.

9 hours ago, Herd said:

2 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

You mean the law school that graduates have one of the worst rates of passing the bar?  Med school, what 80 some doctors a year graduate for how many millions of taxpayer funded dollars.

Bison fans trash talking UND on a UND fan message board be like......

rick.jpg

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Crawling back? Seems like UND got everything they wanted out of the deal. Lower travel costs and a home for their football team, despite the fact that it doesn't really benefit the MVFC. Seems like the Summit wanted a 10th team enough that the schools in the league had no issue adding an unneeded team to their football conference.

So we wont continue to hear about the superiority of the BSC for UND, and that the BSC wanted UND and none of the other dakotas?  And that its so much better than the Slummit?  Which way are you spinning it today?  5 years of trashing the Summit, and that's it, your on board?

2 minutes ago, Herd said:

So we wont continue to hear about the superiority of the BSC for UND, and that the BSC wanted UND and none of the other dakotas?  And that its so much better than the Slummit?  Which way are you spinning it today?  5 years of trashing the Summit, and that's it, your on board?

Some people will, some won't.  Some like the move (like myself) and some don't.  It's a message board.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Herd said:

I have trashed the Summit in the past.  I won't do it when UND is in it but will also have enough common sense and knowledge of the other conferences to know that it is still a one bid league. 

I won't be putting the Summit on the same level as 3-4 bid Mid majors.  

57 minutes ago, Herd said:

I don't think UND is all of the sudden in much superior conferences nor do I think they are downgrading. As I've stated many times, both conferences have their pluses and minuses. There are plenty of things I will miss about the Big Sky and don't care for in the Summit/MVFC. There are things I like about the Summit/MVFC that I didn't care for in the Big Sky. In basketball, both are one bid leagues. In football, both are multiple bid leagues. None of that will change regardless of which conference UND is in. Nor will it change history, which shows UND getting into the Big Sky and NDSU being denied twice. Different times, different circumstances, sure, but it still is what it is.

I mean, it wouldn't be any different than a decade ago when there were NDSU fans who thought the Big Sky was the greatest thing ever and couldn't wait to join.  Member?

685741_1.jpg

• Upvote 3

I guess what you see depends on what school you attended

every time I go by grand forks airport and see the und airplanes and helicopters and go by the med school and law school and business and engineering schools it makes me proud to be a UND alum.  Then I think 80 miles to the south they are milking cows and slopping hogs

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Herd said:

Actually it was the SU's the Big Sky didn't want, they offered full membership for USD. 

3 minutes ago, Kab said:

I guess what you see depends on what school you attended

every time I go by grand forks airport and see the und airplanes and helicopters and go by the med school and law school and business and engineering schools it makes me proud to be a UND alum.  Then I think 80 miles to the south they are milking cows and slopping hogs

Which to be fair is no less important...I'm a UND grad and dang proud of the school...but I grew up on a farm and know the importance of NDSU to the state of North Dakota (and that it goes far beyond the farm).  As much fun as it is to rip on NDSU...the reality is both are very good schools.  I hate the Bison...not NDSU...there is a difference!

There are definitely aspects of the Big Sky Conference that I will miss.  It felt unique to the area...and the travel opportunities were undoubtedly appealing.  However it's a whole-lot easier to travel to Brookings and Fargo than it is to Missoula (and other places further).  The Big Sky may have a slightly better perception amongst the common fan due to it's relative stability (no name changes), but the Summit is on par or slightly ahead in terms of conference strength (having more teams doesn't help when more of them are bad).  Between cost savings and the reasons above I welcome a move to the Summit...having 6 games a year in all Olympic sports vs SDSU/USD/NDSU is a great thing in my opinion!

The MVFC is going to be great for UND...but we are going to have to continue to up our game (which I'm confident we will).  I see a lot of MVFC football message board fans crying over the fact that the schedule will be unbalanced and tougher...whatever happened to bring on the competition?!?  Plus nobody even knows if the current MVFC team makeup will be the same in 2020.  A UND for YSU team swap would make the MVFC even more compact geographically, while not significantly hurting quality of play (but maybe hurting history, which too many fans love to live in).  There's a lot of talk about UND being geographically isolated...but YSU is dang near in Pennsylvania, and has no affiliation with any MVFC team in any other sport.  They'd be better off in the CAA with a team like Rhode Island dropping to the NEC.  If UNI doesn't like it...well they can just lobby to get some of that Iowa/ISU athletic money to elevate their program.  I'm appreciative of Dean Bresciani's help in getting UND into the MVFC, and hopefully we can pay the conference back with some quality football!

• Upvote 4

Is there a comparison to other law schools, to say it sucks I question without seeing other schools exams

i have a lot of friends that are ndsu grads, some do give and take with good spirit and others tell me I have to support bison football when they play in the championship gave

that wont happen