SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

4 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

You have to admit the last 15 years your leadership whether it's the president or your AD has been a train wreck for the university.  Finishing up last year with a huge deficit.  Yes you are definitely trying to follow NDSU. 

Oh re-e-e-e-e-eally ... 

At North Dakota State University, the cut is 12.2 percent. This compares to 6.9 percent at UND. The reason is that UND made deep cuts during the six-month-long administration of President Ed Schafer. NDSU cut some one-time spending, but didn't make cuts in operating funds.

That campus, therefore, faces more significant pain in this budget round.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/featured-columnists/4208939-mike-jacobs-north-dakota-created-its-own-budget-woes

Seems UND manned up last time and made real cuts where NDSU floated around the edges. 

15 hours ago, TBR said:

I seem to recall that Bismarck was in the running for UND but opted for the state penitentiary.

Actually, Bismarck was in the running for NDAC, but opted for the state pen. It seem like it would generate more business. At the time it probably did.

18 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Actually, Bismarck was in the running for NDAC, but opted for the state pen. It seem like it would generate more business. At the time it probably did.

I believe Jamestown opted for the Insane Asylum over the AC as well.  

FWIW, back in those days the most money and jobs for local citizens was in prisons, second most in state hospitals/asylums, last was in Universities.  Ag colleges were like tech schools.

In South Dakota, Sioux Falls chose the prison, Yankton got the hospital, and Vermillion got the University.  Pierre got the capitol due to its central location after Yankton had held the designation of Territorial Capitol.  Sioux Falls is obviously doing fine but they do kind of wish they had a do-over there.

Let's not forget that USD in Vermillion was the first University in the Dakotas, established by the territorial government.  So the true flagship school of the Dakotas resides in Vermillion, not Grand Forks, and certainly not one of those ag schools in Brookings or Fargo.

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

FWIW, back in those days the most money and jobs for local citizens was in prisons, second most in state hospitals/asylums, last was in Universities.  Ag colleges were like tech schools.

In South Dakota, Sioux Falls chose the prison, Yankton got the hospital, and Vermillion got the University.  Pierre got the capitol due to its central location after Yankton had held the designation of Territorial Capitol.  Sioux Falls is obviously doing fine but they do kind of wish they had a do-over there.

Let's not forget that USD in Vermillion was the first University in the Dakotas, established by the territorial government.  So the true flagship school of the Dakotas resides in Vermillion, not Grand Forks, and certainly not one of those ag schools in Brookings or Fargo.

don't dump north and south dakota into "dakota"...of the four "dakota" schools one has risen to the top academically and athletically and it aint even close.

48 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

don't dump north and south dakota into "dakota"...of the four "dakota" schools one has risen to the top academically and athletically and it aint even close.

Funny, US News has UND, USD, and SDSU tied for 4th place on that list @ #202. NDSU is at #188. I don't personally put much stock in those ratings, but c'mon saying it ain't close is simply not true.

In Athletics you are also clearly behind both SDSU and NDSU.

As I begin to come to grips with this ominous move to the SumValley, I admit I have taken an interest in the discussion regarding rivalry trophies with NDSU and USD.  When we joined the Big Sky, I was hoping a trophy game could be established with Montana St, perhaps something regarding the oil industries of the two states.  Obviously that ship has sailed, but I do think trophy games are fun between intrastate and interstate rivals.

As far as the Nickel Trophy, I thought it should have been up for grabs in 2015, and I think it should be in 2019 and then every year after.  I am with those in the camp that it is a replica of a legal tender U.S. coin, and it is in no way tied to the NCAA Nickname Settlement.  The fact that it doesn't have UND's current logo on it is irrelevant.  It also does not have NDSU's logo on it.  

With USD and the Sitting Bull Trophy, that trophy was retired due to pressure from the PC crowd 22 years ago.  There is no way that is coming back, but I would like to see something re-introduced.  I thought it should have been done when we both moved to DI but that never happened.  Just an idea, perhaps something revolving around this little tidbit taken from wikipedia:

The rivalry between the two new states presented a dilemma of which was to be admitted first. Harrison directed Secretary of State James G. Blaine to shuffle the papers and obscure from him which he was signing first and the actual order went unrecorded, thus no one knows which of the Dakotas was admitted first.[21][22] However, since North Dakota alphabetically appears before South Dakota, its proclamation was published first in the Statutes At Large. Since that day, it has become common to list the Dakotas alphabetically and thus North Dakota is usually listed as the 39th state.

Something along the lines of the "The First Dakota Trophy"?  Just a thought anyway.................

3 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

As I begin to come to grips with this ominous move to the SumValley, I admit I have taken an interest in the discussion regarding rivalry trophies with NDSU and USD.  When we joined the Big Sky, I was hoping a trophy game could be established with Montana St, perhaps something regarding the oil industries of the two states.  Obviously that ship has sailed, but I do think trophy games are fun between intrastate and interstate rivals.

As far as the Nickel Trophy, I thought it should have been up for grabs in 2015, and I think it should be in 2019 and then every year after.  I am with those in the camp that it is a replica of a legal tender U.S. coin, and it is in no way tied to the NCAA Nickname Settlement.  The fact that it doesn't have UND's current logo on it is irrelevant.  It also does not have NDSU's logo on it.  

With USD and the Sitting Bull Trophy, that trophy was retired due to pressure from the PC crowd 22 years ago.  There is no way that is coming back, but I would like to see something re-introduced.  I thought it should have been done when we both moved to DI but that never happened.  Just an idea, perhaps something revolving around this little tidbit taken from wikipedia:

Something along the lines of the "The First Dakota Trophy"?  Just a thought anyway.................

Hasn't UND already said that the Nickel Trophy won't be part of the renewed rivalry?  

4 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Hasn't UND already said that the Nickel Trophy won't be part of the renewed rivalry?  

I don't recall if there was an official statement.  Just remember saying they weren't bringing it to Fargo in 2015.  I thought the bigger excuse was because it was a non-conference game, but I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

BTW - SDSU is also ahead in football - 3 FCS playoffs wins...UND, again zero.

Three playoff wins, dohkay.  So if UND got spoonfed a doormat in the first round this year we could brag about having a "playoff win"?  

UND has already been seeded higher than SDSU ever has.  SDSU won their home game by 3 - UND lost their's by 3 in their first ever playoff game.  Oh well, experience matters.

• Upvote 1