Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
UND92,96

UND to Summit/MVFC

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

It didn't used to be but defections have hurt that conference. If Witchita ever left is there really any different between the MVC and Summit tbh?

This season UNI is down, Illinois St has stepped up but other than those two the conference is pretty blah but would probably have a tougher SOS than the SL. Two bids only if WSU doesn't win the conference tournament. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still wondering who is leaving the MVFC. Specifically - can't imagine Youngstown is ok with adding another Dakota school. Is it possible they believe they are finally getting an invite to the Ohio Valley Conference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zonadub said:

Still wondering who is leaving the MVFC. Specifically - can't imagine Youngstown is ok with adding another Dakota school.

Does anybody care what Youngstown thinks?

They are the outlier in the conference, along with Missouri State.  It takes a flight to get to YSU for every team in the league.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Still wondering who is leaving the MVFC. Specifically - can't imagine Youngstown is ok with adding another Dakota school. Is it possible they believe they are finally getting an invite to the Ohio Valley Conference?

You're telling me there is a team in Ohio that isn't in a Ohio Valley Football Conference, but instead plays in a Missouri Valley Football Conference? 

That doesn't make sense.

..What's that?? No team from Ohio is in the Ohio Valley Football Conference? Oh that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cratter said:

You're telling me there is a team in Ohio that isn't in a Ohio Valley Football Conference, but instead plays in a Missouri Valley Football Conference? 

That doesn't make sense.

..What's that?? No team from Ohio is in the Ohio Valley Football Conference? Oh that makes sense.

YSU was a member from 1981-1988. Maybe they should have stayed put instead of being an FCS Independent for the next 9 seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

YSU was a member from 1981-1988. Maybe they should have stayed put instead of being an FCS Independent for the next 9 seasons.

....please look at what they did in those 9 seasons of independence... /facepalm

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JohnboyND7 said:

....please look at what they did in those 9 seasons of independence... /facepalm

They also had a coach named Jim Tressel. Bo Pelini is no Tressel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, darell1976 said:

They also had a coach named Jim Tressel. Bo Pelini is no Tressel.

....He's done very well for himself at both the FCS and FBS level.  He's also never been banned from coaching that I'm aware of. 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

....He's done very well for himself at both the FCS and FBS level.  He's also never been banned from coaching that I'm aware of. 

 

Pelini never won a conference title with Nebraska, called Husker fans "fair-weathered", 4-4 in bowl games, and got fired for being a total asshat. Look at the leaked audio on him, he was a total POS.  

 

Quote

 

Youngstown State, who had already hired Pelini stated:

"Coach Pelini's remarks as reported are inappropriate and unfortunate. We have discussed the report with Coach. We are confident that Coach will conduct himself accordingly moving forward. We will not be commenting any further on this issue."

 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Pelini#Firing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zonadub said:

Still wondering who is leaving the MVFC. Specifically - can't imagine Youngstown is ok with adding another Dakota school. Is it possible they believe they are finally getting an invite to the Ohio Valley Conference?

I think only the CAA would be of interest to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Pelini never won a conference title with Nebraska, called Husker fans "fair-weathered", 4-4 in bowl games, and got fired for being a total asshat.

Selective with the stats much?  67-27 with never fewer than 9 wins in a season.  That's 9 wins a year, every year.  Fans down there are psycho ("fair-weathered" means something different with their legacy...just wait and see what happens in Fargo), and many of them don't deserve to ever taste the top again.  His players absolutely LOVED the man, and that has to count for something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Selective with the stats much?  67-27 with never fewer than 9 wins in a season.  That's 9 wins a year, every year.  Fans down there are psycho ("fair-weathered" means something different with their legacy...just wait and see what happens in Fargo), and many of them don't deserve to ever taste the top again.  His players absolutely LOVED the man, and that has to count for something.

Loved is overstretched, that would be like saying players loved Mussman. But former players ripped into him like Tommie Frazier who Pelini criticized for showing lack of support. Us Husker fans (I have been a die hard Husker football fan since the 1980's) were used to winning with Tom Osborne, going to Bowl games with a NC on the line. 9 wins don't get you a NC berth. 9 wins get you a berth in The Who-Cares Bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Pelini never won a conference title with Nebraska, called Husker fans "fair-weathered", 4-4 in bowl games, and got fired for being a total asshat. Look at the leaked audio on him, he was a total POS.  

 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Pelini#Firing

....his choice of words isn't great,  his level of success was. Nebraska is in the middle of nowhere.  9 wins per year is successful at the FBS level. 

37 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Loved is overstretched, that would be like saying players loved Mussman. But former players ripped into him like Tommie Frazier who Pelini criticized for showing lack of support. Us Husker fans (I have been a die hard Husker football fan since the 1980's) were used to winning with Tom Osborne, going to Bowl games with a NC on the line. 9 wins don't get you a NC berth. 9 wins get you a berth in The Who-Cares Bowl.

Well it's not the 80's or 90's anymore. UT went like 35 years without a title.

Bo is the man.  Glad his son is walking on at ND.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, darell1976 said:

They also had a coach named Jim Tressel. Bo Pelini is no Tressel.

YSU made Jim Tressel ... president ... of the university. < facepalm > 

 

Welcome to UND.
This is President John 'Gino' Gasparini.
And here's his colleague from NDSU, President Rocky Hagar. (Don Morton? Craig Bohl?) 
:blink: :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2017 at 11:21 AM, UND08 said:

Which to be fair is no less important...I'm a UND grad and dang proud of the school...but I grew up on a farm and know the importance of NDSU to the state of North Dakota (and that it goes far beyond the farm).  As much fun as it is to rip on NDSU...the reality is both are very good schools.  I hate the Bison...not NDSU...there is a difference!

There are definitely aspects of the Big Sky Conference that I will miss.  It felt unique to the area...and the travel opportunities were undoubtedly appealing.  However it's a whole-lot easier to travel to Brookings and Fargo than it is to Missoula (and other places further).  The Big Sky may have a slightly better perception amongst the common fan due to it's relative stability (no name changes), but the Summit is on par or slightly ahead in terms of conference strength (having more teams doesn't help when more of them are bad).  Between cost savings and the reasons above I welcome a move to the Summit...having 6 games a year in all Olympic sports vs SDSU/USD/NDSU is a great thing in my opinion!

The MVFC is going to be great for UND...but we are going to have to continue to up our game (which I'm confident we will).  I see a lot of MVFC football message board fans crying over the fact that the schedule will be unbalanced and tougher...whatever happened to bring on the competition?!?  Plus nobody even knows if the current MVFC team makeup will be the same in 2020.  A UND for YSU team swap would make the MVFC even more compact geographically, while not significantly hurting quality of play (but maybe hurting history, which too many fans love to live in).  There's a lot of talk about UND being geographically isolated...but YSU is dang near in Pennsylvania, and has no affiliation with any MVFC team in any other sport.  They'd be better off in the CAA with a team like Rhode Island dropping to the NEC.  If UNI doesn't like it...well they can just lobby to get some of that Iowa/ISU athletic money to elevate their program.  I'm appreciative of Dean Bresciani's help in getting UND into the MVFC, and hopefully we can pay the conference back with some quality football!

solid post

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2017 at 0:17 PM, zonadub said:

 

Maybe the reason that UND had to move to the Summit/MVFC is because NDSU could not get in the Big Sky.     :D    ;) 

I guess I though the reason UND was making the move was because NDSU couldn't get it done it football this year. So they want a new school that can :);) 

Just a joke as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2017 at 2:51 PM, Cratter said:

And the business school is in desperate need of a new building. It's losing students because of it.

Agreed. The business building was garbage when I was there 10 years ago. There were some nice rooms within the building, usually sponsored by different companies, but the building as a whole needs a major overhaul. When I hit that Powerball on Saturday, I'll be happy to make a nice contribution :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, darell1976 said:

They also had a coach named Jim Tressel. Bo Pelini is no Tressel.

I'm not a Bo Pellini fan, but he is certainly a solid coach. You are correct though, he is no Jim Tressel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

YSU made Jim Tressel ... president ... of the university. < facepalm > 

 

Welcome to UND.
This is President John 'Gino' Gasparini.
And here's his colleague from NDSU, President Rocky Hagar. (Don Morton? Craig Bohl?) 
:blink: :lol:

Except I don't think Gino and Rocky were banned from coaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'm not a Bo Pellini fan, but he is certainly a solid coach. You are correct though, he is no Jim Tressel. 

So Pellini runs a clean program?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, petey23 said:

So Pellini runs a clean program?

http://thesouthern.com/sports/college/salukimania/mvfc-reprimands-ysu-s-pelini-for-misconduct/article_7c31f24b-0b50-55fd-999d-f9f7663e4290.html

He does have a bit of a potty mouth.

Quote

Missouri Valley Football Conference policies call for public reprimand for use of profane or unduly provocative language or action toward an official.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, petey23 said:

So Pellini runs a clean program?

k let me re-word it ... He has been a successful coach. I already said, I'm not a fan of the guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw that UND will have the second smallest arena in the Summit League only IPFW is smaller (unless they play in the war memorial coliseum) and the second smallest stadium in the MVFC only South Dakota is smaller, compared to 7th out of 14 teams in the Big Sky for football and 9th out of 12 teams for basketball. I wonder if playing in bigger buildings will be a new learning experience for the Fighting Hawks or maybe if the buildings are half full it won't matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

The Dakota Dome will only be the smallest for a little while longer as it is about to undergo an upgrade.  Upon completion it is expected the building will hold about 16,000 from what I am hearing.

http://volanteonline.com/2017/02/plans-30-million-renovation-dakotadome-works/

 

"about to"...as in about 10 years when they raise the money?  They just spent every last nickle on the basketball facility, like NDSU.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...