SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Attendance

nodak651

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I would guess NDSU's success produces a huge comparison issue for UND to put up with. 

People from here are familiar with both UND and NDSU, obviously, and relatively speaking, we all know which school's football team the average fan would label "good" and "bad". 

Its a tough pill to swallow for some of us longtime supporters, but it's reality. NDSU steals plenty of UND's potential momentum. Winning and this year's lack thereof (0-2) definitely contributes, but the pull factor and bandwagon-type situation with the school an hour to the south is a huge factor as well.

Want to see consistent sellouts? Hope for a bunch of UND wins and a bunch of NDSU losses. Obviously it makes the most sense to focus on what UND can control and that's its win and loss record. 

I could not agree more - us old guys will be there regardless, but the kids - a different story.  And although most feel our program is heading in the right direction we have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot - It cost us the playoffs last year and gives us a lackluster 0-2 record coming into the home opener.  I am so tired of us crapping the bed and the idiots to the south pulling games out I could scream.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Big ass tv, ice cold beers, comfy couch, HD broadcasts, good cell phone service, and not having to deal with venue officials keeping the student section dry. Still, for me, you can beat actually being there, ever.

You almost make me wanna stay home and watch the game on tv tomorrow. :)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Interested in the turn out today.....with tickets being given away as much as pissible.....swag.....promotions....free tshirts.....and even giving away $5000....can They get the kids into building?

Gottsay.....its too damn nice a day to spend it in glorified warehouse with turf.

Announced crowd of 11,7??.  It was a good turnout

• Upvote 1

I missed the complain train......

So....

Crowd was announced the largest since 2009? Cool to see...I looked at the home side after the first quarter and saw very few empty seats and said "almost looks like a sellout".

Crowd noise wasn't any different than the last few years/games to me obviously given the situations and scores of games...

Tailgating was awesome and large as is always the first game of the season, which will get smaller as the year goes on and people will come here and act surprised.

Students section was full and started to dwindle after the half, which will get smaller as the year goes on and people will come here and act surprised.

6 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I missed the complain train......

So....

Crowd was announced the largest since 2009? Cool to see...I looked at the home side after the first quarter and saw very few empty seats and said "almost looks like a sellout".

Crowd noise wasn't any different than the last few years/games to me obviously given the situations and scores of games...

Tailgating was awesome and large as is always the first game of the season, which will get smaller as the year goes on and people will come here and act surprised.

Students section was full and started to dwindle after the half, which will get smaller as the year goes on and people will come here and act surprised.

The 4th quarter and OT were extremely loud.  Multiple false starts on USD.

• Upvote 3

Nice and loud to start the game, but once they announced the winner of the tuition money students left like it was all you can drink in the parking lot. There were rows of empty seats by us that was once filled by students. Pretty sad. They missed a good comeback!

2 hours ago, UND-1 said:

The 4th quarter and OT were extremely loud.  Multiple false starts on USD.

I believe the crowd noise was partially responsible for our second pick 6. It was 3rd and 5, but an illegal procedure penalty made it 3rd and 10. So an obvious running situation became a bit more complicated as they didn't want to have to punt it back to us. So they put it in the air and it was picked off and run back for a TD.

• Upvote 3

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

I believe the crowd noise was partially responsible for our second pick 6. It was 3rd and 5, but an illegal procedure penalty made it 3rd and 10. So an obvious running situation became a bit more complicated as they didn't want to have to punt it back to us. So they put it in the air and it was picked off and run back for a TD.

yes!  the crowd played a huge part in this win...i lost my voice at the end!

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I was in section 207 and everybody was standing up and yelling in the first half and most of the 3rd period.  Crowd noise also caused that false start by USD down by their own goal line in the first half, and it also caused them to burn a timeout in the 3rd period.  At least where I was sitting I think people were yelling pretty loud every single 3rd down.

• Upvote 1

On 9/17/2016 at 11:51 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

On 9/17/2016 at 11:52 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

yes!  the crowd played a huge part in this win...i lost my voice at the end!

Crowd noise does make a difference.  Especially in the Alerus.  It was evident on Saturday, and it is evident for anyone who went to games when the Alerus first opened.  Fans need to realize this.  Yes, the players on the field need to make plays.  But when its 3rd down and the players for the other team can't hear the quarterback and it results in false starts, the crowd has a direct impact on the game.  Pint being, get to the game and get loud!!  Be a fan, not a spectator!

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Crowd noise does make a difference.  Especially in the Alerus.  It was evident on Saturday, and it is evident for anyone who went to games when the Alerus first opened.  Fans need to realize this.  Yes, the players on the field need to make plays.  But when its 3rd down and the players for the other team can't hear the quarterback and it results in false starts, the crowd has a direct impact on the game.  Pint being, get to the game and get loud!!  Be a fan, not a spectator!

Agreed. 

I would also like to add that it is not a law/rule to be quiet on 1st and 2nd downs in the alerus.  People are allowed to make noise on those downs as well

• Upvote 2

I was very surprised by the lack on South Dakota fans at the game.  I was expecting about 1000 fans from there.  Guess they don't travel well.

I do think with all the other entertainment options these day's attending sporting events are not at the top of peoples priority lists these day's.

20 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I was very surprised by the lack on South Dakota fans at the game.  I was expecting about 1000 fans from there.  Guess they don't travel well.

I do think with all the other entertainment options these day's attending sporting events are not at the top of peoples priority lists these day's.

They probably didn't want to waste the travel time to go a game that was a guaranteed blow out win for them.  You know, because they have no problem with any Big Sky team they face;)

2 points.

At halftime while in the mens room I over heard a fan on the phone who said to give him 5 minutes and he would meet whoever outdoors, obviously leaving the game.  I hope he enjoyed the game on the radio or on TV.  But it was way more fun watching the comeback live.  just saying.

For a fact USD burned 2 early timeouts on 3rd and long because of crowd noise. One in each half.  Also at least 2 or 3 false starts.  I did notice a bunch of noise starting on 1st down either toward the end of the 4th qtr or in the OT.  I am sure the players and coaches saw that were pleased.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

2 points.

At halftime while in the mens room I over heard a fan on the phone who said to give him 5 minutes and he would meet whoever outdoors, obviously leaving the game.  I hope he enjoyed the game on the radio or on TV.  But it was way more fun watching the comeback live.  just saying.

For a fact USD burned 2 early timeouts on 3rd and long because of crowd noise. One in each half.  Also at least 2 or 3 false starts.  I did notice a bunch of noise starting on 1st down either toward the end of the 4th qtr or in the OT.  I am sure the players and coaches saw that were pleased.

Just need to keep winning and hopefully more and more fans will come and stay. As has been said, it would have helped if the game had been exciting the whole way through rather than digging a 20 pt hole.

Rodgers and Lawrence are studs. They looked really good on Saturday and the first two games as well. Wanzek and Toivonen have also proven to be the real deal. Hunt has made plays and looks sharper each game. Bennet has been disruptive when he's in there and has a noticeable burst. Cloyd got his first action and I hope they make the most of it because he is a beast. That's a lot of true and RS FR making major contributions.

Didn't know where to put this, so I'll put it here because I have to vent.  UND scheduled its only game against Manitoba on October 1st, the same day as the Cal Poly football game.  Is this hockey game not on Friday, because the season can't start until October?  Please tell me that is the case, because there is no other reason not to have hockey on Friday night, and Football Saturday.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Didn't know where to put this, so I'll put it here because I have to vent.  UND scheduled its only game against Manitoba on October 1st, the same day as the Cal Poly football game.  Is this hockey game not on Friday, because the season can't start until October?  Please tell me that is the case, because there is no other reason not to have hockey on Friday night, and Football Saturday.

I am not 100% sure but I have never seen a college hockey game in September. Probably something to that.

Men's hockey season can't start until the Saturday of the weekend 25 weeks prior to 1st round of NCAA tournament, so October 1 this year.  Not sure why the game isn't Sunday though, typically the Manitoba exhibition is on a Sunday.

Personally, I enjoy football/hockey doubleheaders.

• Upvote 1