SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

316 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On 11/19/2021 at 9:26 AM, Sioux>Bison said:

I accept that we needed to retire the Sioux logo but it’s replacement sucks! Just because we don’t like the new logo doesn’t mean we all don’t want to move on from the old one. This transition would have gone over better if we had a cool, catchy, unique logo. Instead we got another dumb bird logo and one of the worst ones to boot!

This ^^^^^

• Upvote 2

On 11/19/2021 at 8:59 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

Because pepperoni pizza effing wails? 

His argument failed when trying to equate the logo with pepperoni pizza.

A low budget afterthought of a logo is in now way equitable to one of the greatest creations of mankind. Even a clearence Jacks pepperoni is a vastly superior item to the useless 1 dimensional bird shape.

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2021 at 9:36 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

The biggest problem isn't that there are fans that are not accepting of the new name/logo and are still holding strong to the Sioux name/logo;  It's that the REA and the hockey program are leading the charge on the issue.  Should the REA have to Fighting Hawks logo at center ice?  Yes.  Should the hockey team have a jersey that says "Hawks" on it?  Yes.  Should coaches refer to the team as Fighting Hawks hockey as well as North Dakota hockey?  Yes.  Should the REA have waited another 18 months to renovate their locker room until the new logo was released to incorporate it in the remodel?  Yes.  But unfortunately the answer to these questions is no.

So the frustration really is about the REA and the hockey programs hesitancy to embrace the Fighting Hawks name/logo and the and that encourages fans to do the same.  Releasing a new jersey with a name that isn't even our nickname just proves it even more.  And the AD and UND President don't seem to think its and issue is what is most frustrating.

You and your 2 or three login buddies are literally the only people that allow any of this to bother them or effect their daily lives in any way.

Find a hobby.

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2021 at 11:04 AM, UNDBIZ said:

Is it?  I'm not going to attribute it all (or any of it) to the name split, but enrollment is down 15% since 2012, and football, m/w bball, vball, softball, and soccer are all currently/recently struggling.  Again, I don't blame the name split for that, but university pride does seem to be falling as well, at least prior to uncle Andy.

I just dont think much of a percentage of any of the "declines" you mentioned can be attributed in any way to a continued rift.

"Enrollment" is a new entity almost alltogether now, and the athletic downturns of the sports mentioned are products of much different concoctions... besides.. didnt yall always say the logo never won or lost any games....

Its not a lack of pride you are seeing its an overall apathy to anything that isnt instantly of entertainent value. 

Flashes of school pride are here and there.... just look at how the student body came together to heap ridicule on the bronzed Mike Hawk.

On 11/19/2021 at 9:26 AM, Sioux>Bison said:

I accept that we needed to retire the Sioux logo but it’s replacement sucks! Just because we don’t like the new logo doesn’t mean we all don’t want to move on from the old one. This transition would have gone over better if we had a cool, catchy, unique logo. Instead we got another dumb bird logo and one of the worst ones to boot!

This, after being told by the Grand Forks Herald that a generic logo was the likely outcome from other schools that had gone through the process.   And they still went down the same path.   Kind of funny that the group that probably has the least tie to the old nickname, the current students, are the most vocal against the mention of the new one.  Just keep referencing Nodak and let it take over by default much like Zags did for Gonzaga.  You don't see their fans getting bent out of shape if someone references them as Zags rather than Bulldogs, why is it a problem if some just reference UND as North Dakota, or Nodak rather than hawks?  It amuses me when people in the "it's just a nickname" crowd get so up in arms when someone doesn't refer to the current nickname, or make it the focal point of attire. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, tnt said:

Where do all the Sioux Forever chants start after every announcement that says Fighting Hawks?  Sure don't hear it much from my half of the arena.  It gets tiresome. 

Sioux forever! I love it when someone outside of the student section starts it. Would love to see more of it.

15 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I do think it looks good on clothing. Nice constrast and pops on a black top.

I think that's my main problem with it. I've gotten over the idea of it being "boring" and/or "basic" .... those are just connections to how awesome the Sioux head was. My problem is that I don't think it looks good on jerseys. It's too thin and horizontal. It doesn't fit as a dominant focal point on a jersey. Since it was birthed, I thought it would WAY better as a secondary logo.

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think that's my main problem with it. I've gotten over the idea of it being "boring" and/or "basic" .... those are just connections to how awesome the Sioux head was. My problem is that I don't think it looks good on jerseys. It's too thin and horizontal. It doesn't fit as a dominant focal point on a jersey. Since it was birthed, I thought it would WAY better as a secondary logo.

Agree

5 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

UND: We want logo.

SME: Ok $350,000

UND: We were thinking..... cheaper.

SME: ok... we can recolor a current logo... $200k

UND: We dont actuallycarr what it is just need something..... 

SME: We have a secondary logo for $100k

UND: Getting warmer but like..less.

SME: we can do a generic bird secondary logo "inspired" by the USPS, that can really only work in one direction?... $50k?

UND: Awesome... I have this coupon....

SME: FML.... fine, go grab that intern we just fired and tell him we have another 2 days of work.

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

SME: we can do a generic bird secondary logo "inspired" by the USPS, that can really only work in one direction?... $50k?

SME: FML.... fine, go grab that intern we just fired and tell him we have another 2 days of work.

It just really is a secondary logo. 

8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I said clothing.  Idgaf about team jerseys.

What pisses me off about the Sioux forever crowd is that I believe they are responsible for the !@#!$ name we picked.  So we get stuck with the crappiest most generic name and logo, which was 100% predictable, and then they go and pretend it was never released, because they complain about the new logo and name being bad!  Branding is 100% a huge deal and it is hugely important.  It's crazy how often I talk to people in the Twin Cities, and they don't know who UND is... they all know the Bison though, because of strong branding.  Brands all over the world pay huge bucks for advertising/product placement, because brand awareness and name recognition is important.  And it does affect many different aspects of the university, including attendance.  Trying to say brand awareness isn't important when it comes to choices high school kids make?  Give me a break...  

• Downvote 1

11 hours ago, nodak651 said:

What pisses me off about the Sioux forever crowd is that I believe they are responsible for the !@#!$ name we picked.  So we get stuck with the crappiest most generic name and logo, which was 100% predictable, and then they go and pretend it was never released, because they complain about the new logo and name being bad!  Branding is 100% a huge deal and it is hugely important.  It's crazy how often I talk to people in the Twin Cities, and they don't know who UND is... they all know the Bison though, because of strong branding.  Brands all over the world pay huge bucks for advertising/product placement, because brand awareness and name recognition is important.  And it does affect many different aspects of the university, including attendance.  Trying to say brand awareness isn't important when it comes to choices high school kids make?  Give me a break...  

I think you may be barking up a few wrong trees at the same time.... but there is a point up in them branches somewhere.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I think you may be barking up a few wrong trees at the same time.... but there is a point up in them branches somewhere.

Nah. Pretty decent point. 

How About We Keep Sioux
Fighting "anything" 
Methed out bird with head dress people thought would be the logo. 

Don't think people who accepted the reality of moving on used any of those reasons when voting on the new nickname. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2021 at 6:36 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

Like I said at the time. If I had a youth basketball team that wanted some jerseys for their travel team and wanted us to create a logo for them and our art department sent me this logo I would have emailed the art department back and told them to start over and would not have forwarded it to the customer,

• Upvote 2