SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

4 hours ago, Dagger said:

In post game chatter by Fargo Media yesterday they were wondering whether UNI would still be in the playoffs even after their 5th loss yesterday.  How many times does UNI have to lose before they are eliminated from playoff conversation?

11, and then they are on the bubble.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, homer said:

In order for them to finish 6-5 they would have to beat SDSU.  That would put SDSU at four losses.  There will be a lot of shake up in the MVFC and the Big Sky in the last three weeks.   

It would be fun for UND to win out and be a spectator the final week.  

It would be fun just to be 9-2. A dropped pass and a blocked punt away from being undefeated. That would be real fun. 

I don't think cal poly beating ewu helps us get a seed.  Ewu will have to loose two e to not be seeded, and if cal poly beats them,  CP could get a seed.  They aren't going to seed three bsc teams.

I also don't think k one more win guarantees a playoff spot.  We could still end up with 5 bsc teams at 8-3 or better, and NAU at 7-4 on a 5 game winning streak.

I don't see UNI in at 6-5 this year, too many teams with only 3 losses at the end of the season this year.   An someone who knows something about sagarin explain how UNI is number 3.  I assume their is some validity to that rating system being it is part of the bsc tiebreaker. If UNI were ranked accurately, a lot of teams above us would drop.

30 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

I don't think cal poly beating ewu helps us get a seed.  Ewu will have to loose two e to not be seeded, and if cal poly beats them,  CP could get a seed.  They aren't going to seed three bsc teams.

I also don't think k one more win guarantees a playoff spot.  We could still end up with 5 bsc teams at 8-3 or better, and NAU at 7-4 on a 5 game winning streak.

I don't see UNI in at 6-5 this year, too many teams with only 3 losses at the end of the season this year.   An someone who knows something about sagarin explain how UNI is number 3.  I assume their is some validity to that rating system being it is part of the bsc tiebreaker. If UNI were ranked accurately, a lot of teams above us would drop.

We are in agreement with the first sentence. I do however think we are a lock at 8-3. 

• Upvote 2

This will be an interesting show to watch this Thursday.

"It will be interesting to see what the NCAA Division I FCS selection committee thinks of the potential playoff field later this week.

What the rest of us think doesn't matter.

On Thursday, the selection committee will release the first of three weekly Top 10 rankings - much like what happens on the FBS level. It's a new feature of the committee leading into Selection Sunday on Nov. 20. The first rankings will be aired on ESPN's "College Football Live," which begins at 3 p.m. ET."

3 minutes ago, UND92 said:

This will be an interesting show to watch this Thursday.

"It will be interesting to see what the NCAA Division I FCS selection committee thinks of the potential playoff field later this week.

What the rest of us think doesn't matter.

On Thursday, the selection committee will release the first of three weekly Top 10 rankings - much like what happens on the FBS level. It's a new feature of the committee leading into Selection Sunday on Nov. 20. The first rankings will be aired on ESPN's "College Football Live," which begins at 3 p.m. ET."

UNI will rated #4...........book it! ;)

13 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

In the end, you still have to win the games that you play.  Sure UNI can claim they played top teams really close, but in the end they still lost.  Losses over good teams should never trump wins over poor teams.  But unfortunately that's the way the committee sees it.  If a 6-5 UNI team gets in over 2 or 3 8-3 teams, that is going to be very hard for the committee to defend their "quality loss" reasoning.

Listen, I understand why lots of people on this board are obsessed with the playoffs, what seed, who is in, and who is out.  But I think the focus should be on winning the Big Sky conference.  That's been Bubba's rally cry since he got here, hasn't it?  It's the #1 program goal.  Win the conference, get a banner, get a ring, and the playoffs will take care of themselves.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Listen, I understand why lots of people on this board are obsessed with the playoffs, what seed, who is in, and who is out.  But I think the focus should be on winning the Big Sky conference.  That's been Bubba's rally cry since he got here, hasn't it?  It's the #1 program goal.  Win the conference, get a banner, get a ring, and the playoffs will take care of themselves.

Well of course we want to win the Big Sky, but whether it is by ourselves or as co-champions doesn't matter a whole lot at this point. Especially since it is out of our control. UND needs to win out. It would be beneficial to also have E Wash beat Poly, as Poly would fall behind us in the rankings. Even with a E Wash loss, we would still be behind E Wash; but would also remain behind Poly.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Good thing we don't play and don't have to worry about staying focused week by week.  Following the polls and arguing about who should be placed where is all part of what makes college football so fun!  

• Upvote 4

I really don't see a big enough shake up happening in the top 10 for us to move into the top eight.  I want to own the Big Sky title to ourselves.  I don't see a scenario of the Big Sky getting two seeded teams and unless EWU collapses, they will own the seed for the Big Sky to themselves.  The loss to Stoney or BG really will come back to bite us (assuming we win out).

The biggest shake up that could potentially happen is in the MVFC as I see USD beating either SDSU or NDSU in the final three weeks.

I also question Charleston Southern being there.  What do you do if they lose to Liberty?  They would be 7-3 with one of the wins being DII and wouldn't be a conference champion.  Again, the quality loss to NDSU would come into play which is garbage.

At the end of the day, we win this week vs. UNC and we are in, no question. 

2 minutes ago, homer said:

I really don't see a big enough shake up happening in the top 10 for us to move into the top eight.  I want to own the Big Sky title to ourselves.  I don't see a scenario of the Big Sky getting two seeded teams and unless EWU collapses, they will own the seed for the Big Sky to themselves.  The loss to Stoney or BG really will come back to bite us (assuming we win out).

The biggest shake up that could potentially happen is in the MVFC as I see USD beating either SDSU or NDSU in the final three weeks.

I also question Charleston Southern being there.  What do you do if they lose to Liberty?  They would be 7-3 with one of the wins being DII and wouldn't be a conference champion.  Again, the quality loss to NDSU would come into play which is garbage.

At the end of the day, we win this week vs. UNC and we are in, no question. 

I agree.

1. Make the playoffs

2. Big Sky title---outright---

3. Playoff matchup? Don't care. Just tell me when and where.

Without a lot of things falling our way I just don't see a situation where we play anyone other than SDSU, USD or WIU.  Even possibly UNI.  And looking at the resumes of the top 8 teams, other than Charleston Southern I don't see anyone we should be ranked over at this time.  Need a lot to go our way as most of those teams would have to lose multiple times in the last 3 weeks.  Not just once. 

We just need to beat Northern Colorado and then we can start talking playoffs. Scary game with Studsrud hurt and most likely out for that game. Typical shoulder injury recovery time is three weeks so I'm expecting Studsrud to sit this weekend and hopefully healthy enough to play in two weeks. At least the team has the entire week to prepare Heidlbaugh (did you notice I didn't say Bartles) to be the QB at Northern Colorado. We'll need our defense to come up big and our offensive line to play well so we can run the ball.

So win in NC  and we're in the playoffs. Then we can start scoreboard watching.

PS. I'm hoping Cal Poly beats EW so we have a shot at an outright Big Sky title.

• Upvote 3

AGS:

1 Eastern Washington Eagles 1962 44 1
2 Jacksonville State Gamecocks 1893 19 2
3 North Dakota State Bison 1880 11 3
4 Sam Houston State Bearkats 1765 4 4
5 The Citadel Bulldogs 1696   5
6 James Madison Dukes 1646 3 6
7 Richmond Spiders 1564   8
8 Chattanooga Mocs 1417   9
9 Charleston Southern Buccaneers 1306   10
10 Cal Poly Mustangs 1203   11