SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

EWU has, so far, earned the right to be seeded ahead of us.

exactly. I don't see us overtaking EWU (we could, but I don't see it). Overtaking MT and getting a second seed for the Big Sky is entirely plausible. UND just needs to take care of what they can control. Keep winning.

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

EWU has, so far, earned the right to be seeded ahead of us.

It could be worse. It could be like college hockey. Where you win your conference and be the top rated seed in college hockey (if it's not UND of course), and your reward is to play UND in the hostile Scheels Arena for the postseason. :lol:

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Still way to early.  Way to many games left to even be talking about brackets.  

Seasons only got a few games left. I wouldn't necessarily call it early. The way I see it even if Montana loses at EWU they'll still be ahead of UND in the playoffs even if UND wins out.

10 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Seasons only got a few games left. I wouldn't necessarily call it early. The way I see it even if Montana loses at EWU they'll still be ahead of UND in the playoffs even if UND wins out.

Some teams still have nearly a half a season to play.  UND is a rare situation not having a bye yet but still having a month of games left. 

Thats a lot of football. 

31 minutes ago, homer said:

Some teams still have nearly a half a season to play.  UND is a rare situation not having a bye yet but still having a month of games left. 

Thats a lot of football. 

That makes sense. 

After tomorrow UND will only have 3 out of the 11 games left. That's getting pretty down there for UND.

3 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

They have UND winning the league and both Montana and EWU with seeds.

It says the bracket assumes the season ended today, they are not projecting end of year so I can see why they have Eastern ahead of us.  Both Eastern and Montana are currently ranked ahead of us so if they are basing the bracket as if the season ended today, that's why they are higher.  Not saying I like it and we certainly don't seem like we are geting much respect yet, we just need to keep winning.  Hoping we don't stub our toe in one of these games somewhere along the way so they can all say....."I told you so".  The offense has really been clicking, there will likely be a game where they struggle a little bit......just need to make sure we can still pull out a game where they aren't firing on all cylinders.  We've been good enough this year to overcome giving up kickoff returns for TD against SUU and a broken tackle on a short pass that got taken to the house......and against Poly we turned the ball over twice inside the 10 yard line.  It's nice to see that we've been good enough to overcome those kinds of mistakes.  Those things do happen at times, but hopefully those will be less going forward and especially in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

It says the bracket assumes the season ended today, they are not projecting end of year so I can see why they have Eastern ahead of us.  Both Eastern and Montana are currently ranked ahead of us so if they are basing the bracket as if the season ended today, that's why they are higher.  Not saying I like it and we certainly don't seem like we are geting much respect yet, we just need to keep winning.  Hoping we don't stub our toe in one of these games somewhere along the way so they can all say....."I told you so".  The offense has really been clicking, there will likely be a game where they struggle a little bit......just need to make sure we can still pull out a game where they aren't firing on all cylinders.  We've been good enough this year to overcome giving up kickoff returns for TD against SUU and a broken tackle on a short pass that got taken to the house......and against Poly we turned the ball over twice inside the 10 yard line.  It's nice to see that we've been good enough to overcome those kinds of mistakes.  Those things do happen at times, but hopefully those will be less going forward and especially in the playoffs. 

Just think how dominant we can be once those things don't happen anymore!

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

If this scenario happens, then the FCS playoff committee needs to again be called out. UND would be on a 9 game winning streak with only 1 FCS loss whereas Montana would have 2 FCS losses (assuming they only lost to Poly and EWU). Always a chance Montana and/or EWU - or even UND for that matter - slips up in a matchup we don't expect. It's why they play the games. 

Fun argument to speculate with but UND needs to focus on themselves. Wins will earn you respect and that is what UND needs to focus on doing (winning) irregardless of the opponent. Get in to the postseason and you always have a chance. 

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If this scenario happens, then the FCS playoff committee needs to again be called out. UND would be on a 9 game winning streak with only 1 FCS loss whereas Montana would have 2 FCS losses (assuming they only lost to Poly and EWU). Always a chance Montana and/or EWU - or even UND for that matter - slips up in a matchup we don't expect. It's why they play the games. 

Fun argument to speculate with but UND needs to focus on themselves. Wins will earn you respect and that is what UND needs to focus on doing (winning) irregardless of the opponent. Get in to the postseason and you always have a chance. 

Both with two losses, they'd see Montanas as better losses, even though UNDs was an FBS (”BG wouldn't even be top 30 in FCS! Hahaha”)

Committee has already basically said you don't get penalized much for loses to "quality team." The committee members are simpletons. It's looks at record and the records of who you lost too...that's WHY it's called Simple Rating System.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Both with two losses, they'd see Montanas as better losses, even though UNDs was an FBS (”BG wouldn't even be top 30 in FCS! Hahaha”)

Committee has already basically said you don't get penalized much for loses to "quality team." The committee members are simpletons. It's looks at record and the records of who you lost too...that's WHY it's called Simple Rating System.

UND will be fine if they win out. Committee would take notice of a 9 game winning streak. 

On 10/20/2016 at 4:48 PM, UNDBIZ said:

My dream scenario:

EWU loses to Montana and Cal Poly.  Finishes 8-3 = playoffs

Montana loses to 2 teams not named EWU.  NAU and UNC are most likely (still pretty slim).  Finishes 8-3 = playoffs - SECOND LEAST LIKELY TO ACTUALLY HAPPEN

Cal Poly loss to Weber.  Cal Poly wins all other games.  Finishes 8-3 = playoffs

Weber wins every game except against UND.  Finishes 8-3 = playoffs - THIRD LEAST LIKELY TO ACTUALLY HAPPEN

SUU loses to Weber and BYU.  Finishes 6-5 = DONE.... Sorry, hacks.

USD wins 4/5 (very tall order).  Finishes 7-4 = playoffs (we've seen an MVFC team can sneak in at 6-5 too) - LEAST LIKELY TO ACTUALLY HAPPEN

Stony Brook wins out.  Finishes 9-2 = CAA Champs and playoffs

UND wins out.  Finishes 9-2 with 9 straight wins = BSC Champs, playoffs, and a seed (3 quality wins, 1 "quality" FCS loss, and 1 FBS loss)

Most importantly though.... Let's beat the crap out of Idaho State on Saturday.

Looking good so far. 

• Upvote 1

Sagarin Ratings 10/23/16

1. NDSU
  2. UNI
  3. SDSU
  4. EWU
  5. Youngstown
  6. Jacksonville St.
  7. Chattanooga
  8. Montana
  9. Richmond
  10. James Madison
  11. Sam Houston
  12. Central Arkansas
  13. Charleston Southern
  14. Citadel
  15. Western Illinois
  16. Villanova
  17. Cal Poly
  18. Samford
  19. Lehigh
  20. Coastal Carolina
  21. Northern Arizona
  22. Illinois St
  23. Liberty
  24. North Dakota
  25. Wofford
  26. USD
  27. North Carolina A&T
  28. Southern Illinois
  29. Harvard
  30. Pennsylvania
  31. Colgate
  32. New Hampshire
  33. Stony Brook
  34. Southern Utah
  35. Eastern Illinois
  36. Albany
  37. Princeton
  38. Indiana St
  39. Weber St
  40. San Diego

13 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Sagarin Ratings 10/23/16

1. NDSU
  2. UNI
  3. SDSU
  4. EWU
  5. Youngstown
  6. Jacksonville St.
  7. Chattanooga
  8. Montana
  9. Richmond
  10. James Madison
  11. Sam Houston
  12. Central Arkansas
  13. Charleston Southern
  14. Citadel
  15. Western Illinois
  16. Villanova
  17. Cal Poly
  18. Samford
  19. Lehigh
  20. Coastal Carolina
  21. Northern Arizona
  22. Illinois St
  23. Liberty
  24. North Dakota
  25. Wofford
  26. USD
  27. North Carolina A&T
  28. Southern Illinois
  29. Harvard
  30. Pennsylvania
  31. Colgate
  32. New Hampshire
  33. Stony Brook
  34. Southern Utah
  35. Eastern Illinois
  36. Albany
  37. Princeton
  38. Indiana St
  39. Weber St
  40. San Diego

We are raked 24 for real wtf 

26 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It's a computer ranking. Heavily influenced by preseason rankings, as evidenced by UNI at #2.

I don't think it has anything to do with preseason rankings.  This is solved by a computer and I'm doubting that the user inputs ANY data about preseason rankings.

BincitySioux is right that its based on your record vs your schedule and your opponents are based on their win/loss vs their opponents/schedule.

UNI is high up there because they play a hard schedule.  Because of the unbalanced schedules and the small sample size of 11 games per team out of so many teams, its just hard for the computer rankings to be as accurate as the pairwise in determining the quality of each teams.  The pairwise gets 32 regular season games plus playoffs to eventually figure out a good playoff field.  The Sarigan ratings are as quality as the pairwise is right now in the early part of the hockey season.

With that said, I still find it very interesting to read them and I look for UND's place in the computer rankings every week