SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

34 minutes ago, Stack said:

PS. I hope our administration have been reading what they need to do to submit a bid for the games: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2016D1MFB_BID - Checklist and Info_20161017.pdf  SDSU has their new stadium and I'm sure they will be bidding a lot to play a playoff game at home.

They are well aware. A very aggressive first round bid that would was well above the minimum and would have easily secured a game was made last year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Stony could make a similar argument. Its not always as simple as I beat you so I should be ranked higher. Otherwise SDSU would be up ahead of NDSU.

I actually am joking.  I know polls are funny at times.   .  We were clearly the better team when we played Cal poly and Stony Brook needed a blocked punt and touchdown run back to beat us at their place.  I have no problem with our ranking. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dagger said:

I actually am joking.  I know polls are funny at times.   .  We were clearly the better team when we played Cal poly and Stony Brook needed a blocked punt and touchdown run back to beat us at their place.  I have no problem with our ranking. 

haha, ok. Just hope the boys can keep winning. All of a sudden Weber is a tough game on the schedule, and NAU (who everyone though would be really tough at the beginning of the season) is starting to look the part after a slow start.

Should be an exciting finish, but especially after such a rocky start for UND, it is fun to see the team living up to the preseason hype.

15 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Cal Poly never gets any love in polls.  Also, North Carolina A&T doesn't belong as high as they are.

They are getting more love than UND in all the polls excite the coaches poll.  I also saw Citadel was ranked #7. Coaches don't like the triple option.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

And since they didn't get it, they added that to this year's pot doubling it?! ;)

I hope the NCAA at least opened the envelope to see we were serious last year.  Knowing our bid it would be foolish to line up UND vs. SDSU in round 1, both with high bids and have another match-up of 2 teams with minimal bids.  If it's all about money for them, then do your homework NCAA.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

I hope the NCAA at least opened the envelope to see we were serious last year.  Knowing our bid it would be foolish to line up UND vs. SDSU in round 1, both with high bids and have another match-up of 2 teams with minimal bids.  If it's all about money for them, then do your homework NCAA.

Exactly, and if somehow SDSU is ranked 9 and we are 12 (or something like that) if we both have high bids the NCAA can still cover the costs of both of us having a home game and not playing each other, because two teams seeded that high shouldn't have to. 

I will take a stab at the playoff picture. I am including teams that still have a chip, a chair, and a chance.

Big Sky

-8 teams fighting for possibly 5 spots, but more than likely 4 spots.

UND(6-2)...control own destiny, win out and likely have a home game and with a little help, possibly a bye. Can afford one slip up but that plummets them to the bottom of the pile, 2 losses and they need a ton of games to go their way. The committee ignored UND playing well at the end of the year last year, they won't ignore UND stumbling down the stretch.

EWU(6-1)...should handle Idaho St. and Portland State and if they beat Montana and Cal Poly they will be a top 4 seed. Lose 1 and they are still in reasonably good shape for a first round bye.

Weber State(5-2)...probably need to win 3 to get in. Should handle Idaho St. and they have NAU at home so need to pick off UND on the road or Cal Poly at home.

Cal Poly(5-2)...should handle Sac St. and UNC at home. tough games remaining against EWU and at Weber St. With win over Montana and at SDSU they might hang on with 4 losses but probably need to win 3 of 4 down the stretch.

NAU(4-4)...Need to win out and probably hope Western Illinois does the same.

Montana(5-2)...In good position even with a loss to EWU this weekend. Should finish 8-3 at worst.

UNC(4-3)...need to win out which would mean running out UND, Montana, and Cal Poly to finish the season.

S. Utah(3-4)....need to win out and that includes upsetting FBS team BYU.

Big South

--should be one spot available but if Charleston Southern slips up it could cost someone else a slot.

Charleston Southern(4-2)...should run the season out and finish 8-2...finish with Liberty and Kennesaw State who are the teams that could muck things up.

Liberty(4-3)...with their losses to FBS teams SMU and Va. Tech and #2 FCS Jax State they can make a case if they beat Coastal Carolina to finish the season but if they can beat Charleston Southern the week before they will win the conference(assuming they handle their other weak conference games).

Kennesaw State(5-2)....need to run the table and hope Charleston Southern handles Liberty.

CAA

--fighting for 4 spots and good shot at 5.

JMU(6-1)...should handle URI and Elon...2 big road games with Richmond and Villanova sandwiched between those games will determine if they are getting the first week off.

Stony Brook(5-2)....if they can beat UNH this weekend they would need to choke to not make playoffs and at least a share of conference title.

Richmond(7-1)....Huge game with JMU will determine who gets the first week off. Will finish 10-1 or 9-2.

Villanova(6-2)....2 easy games and a matchup with JMU....8-3 probably gets them in.

UNH(5-3)....need to win out, starting with Stony Brook this weekend. Very winnable remaining games.

Maine(4-3)....need to run the table which includes Stony Brook, Villanova, and New Hampshire.

Albany(4-3)....need to run the table and get some help.

William & Mary(3-4).....need to run the table and have some other teams trip up.

MVC

---likely getting 5 spots.

SDSU(5-2).....2-2 and they are still probably in, 3-1 and they are in a good position, 4-0 and they get a week off.

NDSU(6-1)....some tough games left, but they are the champs for a reason. Run it out and they are watching the first week. Interesting matchup at UNI as UNI is almost out of rope. If USD wins out to get to 7-3 it might be an interesting game in Vermillion as well. Bison are probably done with the losses part of their season.

Youngstown(5-2)....should finish 3-1 and make the playoffs.

USD(4-3)....definitely some meat on the bone left for the Yotes. Need to go 3-1 to have a shot which includes home games with WIU and NDSU and a roadtrip to Brookings.

UNI(3-4).....with NDSU, WIU, and SDSU still on their schedule they probably need to win out although if a 6-5 team was to get in it would probably be them, especially if EWU, Montana, USD, and Youngstown finish strong as 3 of them will likely be in the playoffs.

Indiana State(4-4)....just need to beat NDSU, UNI, and Youngstown......so your telling me their is a chance!

Missouri St.(3-4)....need to win out and get help.

NEC

conference winner is in, that should be it.*

St. Francis(5-3)....still have Sacred heart and Wagner on schedule

Wagner(4-3)....need to win out.

Bryant(3-4)....need to win conference games and hope St. Francis loses twice...would probably be in playoffs with a 6-5 record as they have a non conference game with C. Carolina.

Sacred Heart(6-1)....*probably need to win out to win the conference, but if they finish 9-2 with a win over the CAA champion does that give them consideration?

Duquesne(4-3)....need to win out and need St. Francis to dump 2.

OVC

Should be a 1 bid conference.*

Jacksonville State(6-1)...should run out the season to finish 10-1 and have a weekend off. If they lose a game it could create a quagmire.

Tennessee-Martin(4-4)...*.run the table including the finale against Jacksonville State and win the conference and another at large bid disappears.

Tennessee State(5-2)...*need the above to happened and run the table creating a 3 way tie for first in conference.

Eastern Illinois(5-3)....*need to run the table and a Tenn-Martin win over Jax  and create a 3 way tie for first.

Patriot

should be a 1 bid conference

Lehigh(6-2)...win out and win conference. lose a game and it gets messy

Fordham(5-2)....need to run the table to win conference.

Bucknell(3-4)....need to run table to win conference. have Lehigh and Fordham on the schedule.

Georgetown(3-4)....need to run the table and need Bucknell to run the table and the winner of Lehigh and Fordham to lose an additional game.

Pioneer

1 bid conference

San Diego(6-1)...

Marist(4-3)...

Dayton(6-2)...

Jacksonville(3-3)...

Stetson(4-3)....

Drake(3-4)....

Campbell(3-3)...

San Diego, Marist, and Dayton should control who wins this unless they fall apart and open the door for the rest.

Southern

2 maybe 3 playoff spots.

The Citadel(7-0)...a win against Samford should wrap up the conference...should finish 10-1(loss to FBS North Carolina to finish season)

Chattanooga(7-1)...should finish 9-2(finish with Alabama)...if Samford can knock off The Citadel you could have a 3 way tie and a possible 3rd playoff team.

Samford(6-1)...should lose to Mississippi St. this weekend and then have a chance at conference title the following weekend against The Citadel. could finish 9-2 or 8-3. Are they in at 8-3?

Mercer(4-3)...need to run table and get help....not even sure if they are playoff eligible yet?

Wofford(4-3)....if they run table and get to 8-3 with a win over Chattanooga to do it, are they in?

Southland

probably 2 playoff spots, outside shot at a 3rd.

SHSU(7-0)....should be 10-0 going into season finale against Central Arkansas...possible #1 seed and home playoffs throughout.

Central Arkansas(6-1)....unbeaten in conference and are fairly secure for a playoff spot as long as they win 3 of 4.

SE Louisiana(4-3)....cold make things interesting if they run the table including a win over C. Arkansas this weekend. would 8-3 get them in or would they need C. Arkansas to beat SHSU to create a 3 way conference tie?

My Prediction on how it shakes out.

Big Sky(4)--UND, EWU, Cal Poly, and Montana

Big South(2)--Charleston Southern and Liberty

CAA(4)--JMU, Stony Brook, Richmond, and Villanova

MVFC(4)--SDSU, NDSU, Youngstown State, and UNI

NEC(1)--Sacred Heart, Wagner or St. Francis

OVC(1)---Jacksonville St.

Patriot(1)--Lehigh or Fordham

Pioneer(1)--San Diego or Marist

Southern(2)--The Citadel and Chattanooga

Southland(2)--SHSU and Central Arkansas

That is 22 spots.

Others in contention

UNH

USD and/or Western Illinois

Samford

Weber State

SE Louisiana

Kennesaw State

UNH

Sacred Heart

Tennessee State

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Exactly, and if somehow SDSU is ranked 9 and we are 12 (or something like that) if we both have high bids the NCAA can still cover the costs of both of us having a home game and not playing each other, because two teams seeded that high shouldn't have to. 

*If* UND wins out, they'll be a top 10 seed. Hell, they're already ranked 12 and 17 in some polls with 3 games left to keep ascending. 

23 minutes ago, Dustin said:

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20161025093825635347204

Stats also has UND/Western Illinois winner taking on NDSU, same as nobowls.

We are slowly moving up the ladder as a ranked team above us here and there looses.  We so need to run the table, being we have no respect yet from the pollsters. A loss would considerably drop us for that reason.  Some kind of a run in the playoffs would do us good for building respect from pollsters and the selection committee.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

We are slowly moving up the ladder as a ranked team above us here and there looses.  We so need to run the table, being we have no respect yet from the pollsters. A loss would considerably drop us for that reason.  Some kind of a run in the playoffs would do us good for building respect from pollsters and the selection committee.  

Hang the Banner!!!

• Upvote 3

Sagarin Ratings 10/30/16

1. NDSU
  2. EWU
  3. UNI
  4. Jacksonville St.
  5. SDSU
  6. Youngstown St
  7. James Madison
  8. Chattanooga
  9. Central Arkansas