SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Does anybody know how much it costs for the football team to make a trip?  Let's say a trip to Cal Poly.....what are the costs of something like that.  I have no idea how much a charter is....maybe 75k  10k for hotel, 10k for food, 5k for busing and other misc. would be 100k total.  Not sure if that is anywhere in the ball park or not.  However i was thinking about the NAIA since I grew up in Dickinson and watched the Blue Hawks. First round of the playoffs where usually a bus trip, but as you go further had to be a flight.  I can't imagine most NAIA schools getting more than 4k attendance.  How was the NAIA able to pick up the costs of that?  I remember one year DSU went out to play Central Washington, pretty sure it was them anyway......and John Kitna was their QB.  Dickinson lost of course.   Who knows maybe they did a 20 hour bus ride though and I just don't remember because I probably wasn't caring about that type of thing then.

It's too bad that it has to come down to money in that first round.  I can see needing a minimum amount, and if you meet the minimum amount you get to host....that wouldn't be too bad.  Highest bidder will may be our advantage a few times in the future if we aren't going up against some of the big name schools.  But if we are playing a smaller school sometime and we are seeded 20th and they are 10th, we should really have to go play there and not get the home game just because we can bid more.  

To me it seems like the loser of the Sam Houston game should drop out of the top 8 guaranteed, this is their chance to prove they belong in the top 8 and if they lose they are out.  This would move us up, and unless SDSU blows out UNI 45-10 or something I don't think a win against a below .500 team should make you jump somebody else. Especially when you have a common opponent and we beat them and they lost. 

Shouldn't we have concern that a close win by SHSU over Central Arkansas will make the committee feel validated in their current rankings? Meaning if SHSU is #5 and they barely beat the #7 team, that's about what they predicted should happen, so why should Central Arkansas drop from #7? This business of ranking is incredibly flawed, with voters at a minimum subconsciously motivated to keep themselves looking good. That's why when a UNI team that was highly ranked to start the year gets beat repeatedly, every team that beats them is now a great team, rather than any admission of "hey, perhaps we missed on this one".

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

Shouldn't we have concern that a close win by SHSU over Central Arkansas will make the committee feel validated in their current rankings? Meaning if SHSU is #5 and they barely beat the #7 team, that's about what they predicted should happen, so why should Central Arkansas drop from #7? This business of ranking is incredibly flawed, with voters at a minimum subconsciously motivated to keep themselves looking good. That's why when a UNI team that was highly ranked to start the year gets beat repeatedly, every team that beats them is now a great team, rather than any admission of "hey, perhaps we missed on this one".

When there is formula in place to seed all 24 teams with tie breakers intact, simply that's it, and everyone knows what they have to do or even hope for. And, sure formulas's can get tweaked for the next year, but are in stone during the coarse of the year. The NCAA tournament committee must adhere. 

When humans choose as it is today, well; politics, prejudice, Alma mater(or even home state), who you know, past disagreements with NCAA(our case Fighting Sioux hangover), favorites, teams with better attendance, traditional winners, and so on, may come into the decision process?

7 hours ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

Cognitive dissonance is a powerful thing.

4 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

When there is formula in place to seed all 24 teams with tie breakers intact, simply that's it, and everyone knows what they have to do or even hope for. And, sure formulas's can get tweaked for the next year, but are in stone during the coarse of the year. The NCAA tournament committee must adhere. 

When humans choose as it is today, well; politics, prejudice, Alma mater(or even home state), who you know, past disagreements with NCAA(our case Fighting Sioux hangover), favorites, teams with better attendance, traditional winners, and so on, may come into the decision process?

I don't buy the Fighting Sioux hangover. None of these ADs on the committee care about that. What they care about is name recognition and money. We aren't a proven commodity so we're at a disadvantage until we prove our worth.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I don't buy the Fighting Sioux hangover. None of these ADs on the committee care about that. What they care about is name recognition and money. We aren't a proven commodity so we're at a disadvantage until we prove our worth.

In all likely hood yes, hope your right. Now, most ADs no, but possible even if it were in the minds of a few, it could make a difference. Now I should of used a proven commodity over traditional winners, that one really seems to carry weight, example N Iowa.

12 minutes ago, UND92 said:

I would like to see 1-16 seeded. 1-8 get byes, 9-16 get home games and 17-24 go to closest venue/regionalization.

Sounds like a nice compromise. Really, how much difference could there be from 17 to 24?  Regionalization makes sense after 16. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sagarin - 11/27/16

1. NDSU
  2. EWU
  3. James Madison
  4. SDSU
  5. UNI
  6. Jacksonville St
  7. Youngstown
  8. Sam Houston
  9. Chattanooga
  10. Illinois St