SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

4 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Based on last year's choices we know the scenario changes based on what they need to say to diss UND. Perhaps there is a longer-term NCAA payback for the nickname then we were lead to believe?  

Wouldn't that be something, this years committee is Quality wins > bad losses, last years was Bad Losses > Quality wins.

Rk MRk* Team NextOpp %**

1  1  North Dakota State @ South Dakota 90
 2  2  Eastern Washington @ Portland State 93
 3  3  Jacksonville State v TennMartin 88
 4  9  James Madison v Elon 99
 5  8  Sam Houston State v Cent Arkansas 47
 6  4  The Citadel @ North Carolina (FBS) 5
 7  5  Central Arkansas @ SHSU 53
 8 19  Richmond @ William and Mary 86
 9 16  North Dakota v Bye Week 100 
10  6  South Dakota State @ Northern Iowa 36 <-- that's the Massey infatuation with UNI*** that I just don't understand

* Massey ranking
** is the percent chance of team winning game per Massey Ratings (mratings.com) 
*** Massey has UNI at 10

35 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I plan on being in Montana for thanksgiving..... Would really appreciate a seed.

I know they were going to try to avoid inter conference matchups in the first couple rounds, at least the first round.  But does that get thrown out the window if the teams haven't played each other?

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

So again if UND is not a top 8 seed BF can bid on hosting a first round playoff matchup? That checkbook needs to be wide open..................

Bids are already submitted. While my understanding is that UND's bid is healthy and should get them a home game, it won't matter if they get paired up against Montana. Zero chance UND outbids them, no one in the FCS would.

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Rk MRk* Team NextOpp %**

10  6  South Dakota State @ Northern Iowa 36 <-- that's the Massey infatuation with UNI*** that I just don't understand

* Massey ranking
*** Massey has UNI at 10

It appears we are the only sure win next week.  

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Bids are already submitted. While my understanding is that UND's bid is healthy and should get them a home game, it won't matter if they get paired up against Montana. Zero chance UND outbids them, no one in the FCS would.

Doesn't the FCS committee try to avoid opening round conference match-ups? That would keep UND out of that situation. 

On thing that bothers me about these rankings is how teams are moving up and down but with now real reason why.  Sure, committee members may be looking at other factors more closely and ranking them more accordingly, but there just doesn't seem to be an reason for them doing what they are doing.  If I am Sam Houstone or Jacksonville St, I probably realize that maybe I shouldn't be ranked #1 or #2.  But when you are put in that spot in the early polls and then you drop 2-3 spots after winning a game, It doesn't make much sense.  These weekly rankings are good only if they do it right the first time.  Fixing mistakes in the 3rd poll really makes the first couple ranking useless.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Doesn't the FCS committee try to avoid opening round conference match-ups? That would keep UND out of that situation. 

The committee will not pair up two schools that have played each other in the regular season for the first round of playoffs.  They can, and have in the past, paired up teams from the same conference that did not play in the regular season.  The second round is fair game when it comes to rematches.

38 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I believe they only try to avoid opening round rematches and even that might only be conference re-matches because I think I've some brackets with San Diego and Cal Poly paired up.

Concerning the "bidding for a home play off game". Can anybody enlighten me on what is involved? Are we bidding to guarantee the NCAA a certain dollar amount? Is it a base amount and then a percentage? Any idea on what that amount would be? What all are we bidding? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Rk MRk* Team NextOpp %**

* Massey ranking
*** Massey has UNI at 10

UNI has a 64% chance of beating SDSU?!?!

We think UND gets dissed! Looks like the Jacks aren't getting any respect. Just don't understand the love for 5-5 UNI.

33 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Concerning the "bidding for a home play off game". Can anybody enlighten me on what is involved? Are we bidding to guarantee the NCAA a certain dollar amount? Is it a base amount and then a percentage? Any idea on what that amount would be? What all are we bidding? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

• There are minimum bids for each round (First round is $30,000) but teams can bid as much as they want. JMU bid $200,000 last year to host a 1st round game.
  • This is the minimum amount of money guaranteed to the NCAA for the right to host the game, however they actually get 75% of actual net receipts or the minimum guarantee, whichever is greater. For example, if a team bids $100,000 but only bring in $60,000 in net receipts, the host school is on the hook to pay the NCAA the remaining $40,000. 
  • This usually only matters in 1st round games because teams that are seeded are guaranteed to host with the higher seed hosting, assuming they have submitted minimum bids. Bids are submitted prior to the playoff field being announced (I believe a week or two ago)

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:
  • There are minimum bids for each round (First round is $30,000) but teams can bid as much as they want. JMU bid $200,000 last year to host a 1st round game.
  • This is the minimum amount of money guaranteed to the NCAA for the right to host the game, however they actually get 75% of actual net receipts or the minimum guarantee, whichever is greater. For example, if a team bids $100,000 but only bring in $60,000 in net receipts, the host school is on the hook to pay the NCAA the remaining $40,000. 
  • This usually only matters in 1st round games because teams that are seeded are guaranteed to host with the higher seed hosting, assuming they have submitted minimum bids. Bids are submitted prior to the playoff field being announced (I believe a week or two ago)

So if UND doesn't get a top 8 seed they are screwed.

This will be just another reason BF needs to go IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:
  • This is the minimum amount of money guaranteed to the NCAA for the right to host the game, however they actually get 75% of actual net receipts or the guarantee, whichever is greater. For example, if a team bids $100,000 but only bring in $60,000 in net receipts, they host school has to pay the NCAA the remaining $40,000. 

Thanks jdub.  Doing a little math. If we got 10,000 fans at $15 a ticket that would be $150,000 x 75% equals $112,500. I am wondering what people think UND should have bid for the first round game. I imagine there could have been some reaching out for a corporate sponsorship?? Could UND afford a $200,000 bid?? 

3 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Thanks jdub.  Doing a little math. If we got 10,000 fans at $15 a ticket that would be $150,000 x 75% equals $112,500. I am wondering what people think UND should have bid for the first round game. I imagine there could have been some reaching out for a corporate sponsorship?? Could UND afford a $200,000 bid?? 

According to Oxbow... who cares what UND can afford?  Spend, spend, spend!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Broken record here - UND will place a bid but private supporters can pledge funds to increase the bid.  If a private donor writes a check for $1 Million (exaggerated) we would be guaranteed a home game.  Montana is a high bidder historically based on attendance, they don't need private funds.  I think UND and SDSU hold similar hands, so much depends on the turn and the river, private pledges.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I'm curious . . . at a football game with 10,000 in attendance, how many of those are comp tickets and how many actually are paid admittance?