SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

20 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I disagree with the way you're looking at it. Of our team is actually good then they can beat anyone. If not then this season is all a charade.

There aren't many you agree with on this board.  My reasoning is if we go undefeated in the conference, that will be remembered, more than if we played or didn't play Montana. A lot of posters here complain about the polls and who makes the playoffs. If we go undefeated in the conference and loose to Montana in the playoffs, or lose to them in the season; I'd choose the first. These pollsters and selection committee would most definitely notice an undefeated conference season in the Big Sky. Next year after we make this years run in the playoffs, bring on the best, but lets make some waves this year.  A team builds from season to season when it marches to the top, it doesn't happen one weekend during the season.

22 hours ago, Dustin said:

Add to that list Southern Utah and Weber State (and NAU, if they get hot).  I'm rooting for every team the UND plays to win all their other games.  Amazingly, Montana State is the team that is disappointing us the most.

Amazingly, we didn't beat Montana St. by more.  After the game I said Montana State is going nowhere this year, they didn't pass the eye test.  The direction we went and the direction Montana State went after the game with us couldn't be more different.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

There aren't many you agree with on this board.  My reasoning is if we go undefeated in the conference, that will be remembered, more than if we played or didn't play Montana. A lot of posters here complain about the polls and who makes the playoffs. If we go undefeated in the conference and loose to Montana in the playoffs, or lose to them in the season; I'd choose the first. These pollsters and selection committee would most definitely notice an undefeated conference season in the Big Sky. Next year after we make this years run in the playoffs, bring on the best, but lets make some waves this year.  A team builds from season to season when it marches to the top, it doesn't happen one weekend during the season.

I'm not scared of Montana or EWU. That's my point. Either we are the best in the conference or not.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'm not scared of Montana or EWU. That's my point. Either we are the best in the conference or not.

I agree with you. UND certainly may not be favored in every FCS-to-FCS contest, but they absolutely do have a chance to win each and every contest. The confidence now with UND in each game is necessary to win championships. Bubba is injecting confidence into his program and, also, the fans which is a good sign. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WILDCAT said:

I looked up the current records of all the conference opponents of the top 4 teams in the conference

Weber's conference opponents are currently 13-17

North Dakota's conference opponents are currently 12-16

Montana's conference opponents are currently 12-16

Eastern Washington's opponents are currently 10-18

Looks pretty even to me

For giggles lets take out the top remaining team on each of their schedules

Take North Dakota off of Weber's Schedule and Weber drops to 9-17

Take Weber State off of North Dakota's and North Dakota falls to 9-16

Take Eastern Wash off of Montana's and UM falls to 9-16

Take UM off of Eastern's and EWU falls to 8-17

Still very even.  I guess the case I am trying to make is who can say who is the class of the Sky when everyone doesn't play everyone?  Teams still have to win the games that are on their schedules. If Eastern and UM fans don't like that...tough.

Good analysis. Cal Poly definitely got the what appears to be the toughest draw getting UND, UM, EWU and Weber.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Good analysis. Cal Poly definitely got the what appears to be the toughest draw getting UND, UM, EWU and Weber.

Given we have already beat Cal-Poly, I hope they win the rest of those games. Seeing the beat EWU would really be great, as well as having MT be EWU.

I'm hoping NAU can pull the upset against the griz this weekend. If MT lost 2, and EWU lost 3, AND UND finished undefeated in the Big Sky, we will have a really good chance at a nice seed. Long ways to go before that, but its fun to speculate.

3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Given we have already beat Cal-Poly, I hope they win the rest of those games. Seeing the beat EWU would really be great, as well as having MT be EWU.

I'm hoping NAU can pull the upset against the griz this weekend. If MT lost 2, and EWU lost 3, AND UND finished undefeated in the Big Sky, we will have a really good chance at a nice seed. Long ways to go before that, but its fun to speculate.

If Cal Poly wins out, they'd definitely be ranked higher than UND, based on their wins over 3 Top 10 teams.

20 minutes ago, AJS said:

If Cal Poly wins out, they'd definitely be ranked higher than UND, based on their wins over 3 Top 10 teams.

hmm solid point. Not sure what the optimal way would be to get us the highest seed possible. Again, the goal is playoffs, and a seed may not happen, but it would sure be nice.

16 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

hmm solid point. Not sure what the optimal way would be to get us the highest seed possible. Again, the goal is playoffs, and a seed may not happen, but it would sure be nice.

I've thought about that too, since UND is currently 4th out of the Top 4 BSC teams in every ranking. EWU still has to play both Poly and Montanta. IMO, it's best for UND to not only win out (obviously), but also have EWU beat both Poly and Montana. I'm cheering for Poly in every game except EWU. Cheering against Montana every step of the way. This is looking at it strictly from a standpoint of what would help UND get the highest seed possible.

My dream scenario:

EWU loses to Montana and Cal Poly.  Finishes 8-3 = playoffs

Montana loses to 2 teams not named EWU.  NAU and UNC are most likely (still pretty slim).  Finishes 8-3 = playoffs - SECOND LEAST LIKELY TO ACTUALLY HAPPEN

Cal Poly loss to Weber.  Cal Poly wins all other games.  Finishes 8-3 = playoffs

Weber wins every game except against UND.  Finishes 8-3 = playoffs - THIRD LEAST LIKELY TO ACTUALLY HAPPEN

SUU loses to Weber and BYU.  Finishes 6-5 = DONE.... Sorry, hacks.

USD wins 4/5 (very tall order).  Finishes 7-4 = playoffs (we've seen an MVFC team can sneak in at 6-5 too) - LEAST LIKELY TO ACTUALLY HAPPEN

Stony Brook wins out.  Finishes 9-2 = CAA Champs and playoffs

UND wins out.  Finishes 9-2 with 9 straight wins = BSC Champs, playoffs, and a seed (3 quality wins, 1 "quality" FCS loss, and 1 FBS loss)

Most importantly though.... Let's beat the crap out of Idaho State on Saturday.

• Upvote 2

Last year we had a vastly improved team from years past and we just missed the playoffs. Early this year we were still finding ourselves to be an even better team. What's happened in the first 7 weeks; injuries, young players filling in, great coaching with some fan ridiculed simple play calling, coaches working hard at mentally and physically developing our players, players working hard and smart to mold into a good team, coaches using more complicated plays as the season progresses, one week at a time mentality, and so on.  We are most definitely a better team now than at the first game.  We have a lot of talented players. We don’t need to play Montana to be noticed. The Big Sky schedule is what it is. What we need to do is continue improving and WIN OUT.  A FBS loss, a 9-1 FCS record with 8-0 Big Sky record and a 1-1 non-conference record with 2 teams at or above the playoff bubble will do us just fine.    In the past 14 months; Montana, SD and SDSU have beat the Bison, all with time running out. At the rate we are improving, come playoff time, bring on the Bison, and Bubba will   Leave No Doubt

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, WILDCAT said:

I looked up the current records of all the conference opponents of the top 4 teams in the conference

Weber's conference opponents are currently 13-17

North Dakota's conference opponents are currently 12-16

Montana's conference opponents are currently 12-16

Eastern Washington's opponents are currently 10-18

Looks pretty even to me

For giggles lets take out the top remaining team on each of their schedules

Take North Dakota off of Weber's Schedule and Weber drops to 9-17

Take Weber State off of North Dakota's and North Dakota falls to 9-16

Take Eastern Wash off of Montana's and UM falls to 9-16

Take UM off of Eastern's and EWU falls to 8-17

Still very even.  I guess the case I am trying to make is who can say who is the class of the Sky when everyone doesn't play everyone?  Teams still have to win the games that are on their schedules. If Eastern and UM fans don't like that...tough.

This is how to properly watch a board and occasionally contribute.

I thought the goal (shared publically at least) was to make it a true national tournament and not base the pairings on saving travel costs. If saving travel is a top priority this playoff is a joke.

Nobowls has Youngstown winning the MVFC but SU with a higher seed? 

1 minute ago, CMSioux said:

I thought the goal (shared publically at least) was to make it a true national tournament and not base the pairings on saving travel costs. If saving travel is a top priority this playoff is a joke.

Nobowls has Youngstown winning the MVFC but SU with a higher seed? 

They have UND winning the league and both Montana and EWU with seeds.

1 minute ago, Nodak78 said:

UND wins out is   still no respect according to this bracket.  we just have to win. 

We don't have any pollster respect yet, that is probably the norm for an improving team like UND. Some teams rated above us will lose, and that will help us move up, of course we have to keep winning.

• Upvote 1