SiouxSports.com Forum

The All Important Polls

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

I see Montana dropped from 10th to16th.  we need to take of business this weekend against Weber.

Big time game. Weber has not had the toughest schedule yet. They have wins against the bottom 4 teams in the conference and 5 of the bottom 6. We have beat 4 of the bottome 6 teams, with our other win against Cal Poly. We beat USD, they almost beat USD. 

This game could come down to team matchups. Could be close, could be a blowout. I'll be interested to see how our injuries look over the next few days. Having Reyes back would be huge! Hopefully Cieslak is ok too. Absolutely have to get the running game going early this week. We've seen just how much it opens up our passing game. Studs just needs to keep doing what he is doing. He has played very nicely.

9 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

I see Montana dropped from 10th to16th.  we need to take of business this weekend against Weber.

Perception is so important with these polls. Northern Arizona had 0 votes in the STATS poll going into last weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if Montana fell about the same as they did in the Athlon poll. I predict UND will move up and be #18 in the STATS poll. Even though 4 teams lost that were within 10 places of them, I think most were all too low to drop enough for UND to jump them (outside of Eastern Illinois).

Things change a lot on a weekly basis, but every week the same holds true. It's just tough to move up significantly in the rankings on a weekly basis. UND is still in the position that a loss to Weber will send them right to the bubble. Got to keep winning.

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I would think a win vs. an undefeated BS conference team in Weber St. Saturday would go a long ways getting us in the playoffs even if we were to stumble and split the remaining 2 games.

The Bison could stumble yet! This playoff picture is going to be interesting. We just so have to win out!

1 minute ago, AJS said:

Perception is so important with these polls. Northern Arizona had 0 votes in the STATS poll going into last weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if Montana fell about the same as they did in the Athlon poll. I predict UND will move up and be #18 in the STATS poll. Even though 4 teams lost that were within 10 places of them, I think most were all too low to drop enough for UND to jump them (outside of Eastern Illinois).

Things change a lot on a weekly basis, but every week the same holds true. It's just tough to move up significantly in the rankings on a weekly basis. UND is still in the position that a loss to Weber will send them right to the bubble. Got to keep winning.

^This! I'm hoping the close game in Idaho is a blessing in disguise, we didn't earn any style points, but hopefully it lights a fire under the guys. Particularly under the offensive line. I was surprise how quickly ISU was able to penetrate the light. It seem like Oliveira and Norberg were just lunging to try to get anything. Regardless, I just hope it put the season in perspective for these guys. Easy to lose a bit of a competitive edge after a  long win streak. Hopefully this bring them back to earth a little but. So pumped for Weber, hope we can win this one with some style points :) 

2 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Anyone know what Poll is the most meaningful?  Is there a poll that the selection committee uses?

I'm interested in this too.

I've been using the STATS poll to go with UND's ranking, because that seems to be the one that every television broadcast uses.

9 minutes ago, supersioux said:

It's the Simple Rating System that mirrors the selection (provided teams meet the minium selection criteria).  I don't believe the first one has come out yet this year.

Weren't we rated high in srs than a couple of teams that got in last year? Either way, we need to keep our losses on the road. Home losses are devastating in srs.

12 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Cal Poly and UND both have 2 losses and Cal Poly is ranked ahead of us.  Too bad we haven't played Cal Poly.

Stony could make a similar argument. Its not always as simple as I beat you so I should be ranked higher. Otherwise SDSU would be up ahead of NDSU.

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

We are the 7th ranked 2 loss team..... We really need to win out.

*8th. How we are ranked compared to other 2 loss teams is big to note. I was hoping that maybe Western Illinois, Youngstown or Montana would fall below us, but that didn't happen. I've been on the need to win out train or a while. Do I feel better now than 2 weeks ago? Yes. Do I think an 8-3 record now would get us in. Absolutely (i.e. if we lost to Idaho State, ect, maybe it wouldn't of). Things can really change though from week to week. Keep winning and hope that a couple teams ahead of you each week fall. Starting with Montana to EWU next week.

3 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

If we keep winning we should be top 10 or at least top 12.  Some of those teams ahead of us will lose for sure with their schedules.  We just need to win.

Definitely. Win out and they are a Top 10 team.

22 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Cal Poly and UND both have 2 losses and Cal Poly is ranked ahead of us.  Too bad we haven't played Cal Poly.

I am assuming you are being sarcastic since we beat them 31-24 on Oct. 1.

I'm guessing they are ranking Cal Poly higher than us since they have wins at SDSU and beat Montana at home.

We need to continue to win and hope for a EW loss.

PS. I hope our administration have been reading what they need to do to submit a bid for the games: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2016D1MFB_BID - Checklist and Info_20161017.pdf  SDSU has their new stadium and I'm sure they will be bidding a lot to play a playoff game at home.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Cal Poly lost to FBS Nevada and #17 North Dakota.

We lost to FBS Bowling Green and #22 Stoney Brook.

The polls look how good the teams were you won and lost to.  Head to head doesn't play as big of factor that you think it might.  Either way, doesn't really matter, especially right now.

38 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Stony could make a similar argument. Its not always as simple as I beat you so I should be ranked higher. Otherwise SDSU would be up ahead of NDSU.

NDSU < SDSU < Cal Poly < UND < Stony Brook < Sacred Heart < Wagner

• Upvote 1