283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:05 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

The hockey program is stuck up, fortunately they produce big time so they have a long, long rope. Nevertheless, limited humility by the hockey program. Last time I checked, the University of North Dakota is not in Canada (although many think it just as well could be) and hockey is not the be all and end all. You want to expand notoriety, you expand football and basketball; hockey is already maxed out and has no right to complain and b*tch.

and here we are.

InHeavenThereIsNoBeer got it right, there are some little brother syndromes going on. You, UND-1, UNDBIZ, and geaux-sioux have it. I respect and am thankful for Bubba, and he made a fantastic speech that I'm still grappling with. I also respect Barry, and - get this - I think they respect eachother. As long as both football and hockey (and all the other sports) win, why do we need to make this about bowing down to the administration? Are we not just happy winning, or do we have to fight about the names?

I've not looked into the etymology but Virginia's official name is the cavaliers and everyone calls them the wahoos there, Auburn are the tigers and its all 'war eagle' at the games, why not here?

I think we need to take a page out of both coaches books and respect eachother.

i think everything being debated here is about respect.  I think any student athlete, be it hockey, golf, tennis, swimming, chess . . . any of them can and should have an opinion.  It's in how and where you state your opinion that usually creates the conflicts.

"i'm not a fan of the new name or logo, but i'm a fan of the University that it now represents."

That comes across a little more respectful than a flurry of f' bombs and insults, but it gets the same point across.  But, not everyone is the same.  I tend to have a harsh opinion in a soft voice.  Others have harsh opinions in loud voices.

13 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

This is patently false.

I know from first hand experience.  Football players loved the logo and name and took great pride in it. Just because it wasn't prominently displayed on the jerseys doesn't mean we didnt "embrace" it.  The word "Sioux" was used in practice, on gameday, during offseason training and in everyday social interactions with great pride by coaches and players alike.  We wore shirts that said "Sioux Football" and had the logo on the front.  We loved it.

Football jerseys and hockey jerseys are different in style in that you rarely see a big logo on the front of a football jersey.  There's no room because there is a number on the front. In hockey there is no number in front and primarily there is a logo or name prominently displayed.  It is what hockey does - always have at most levels.  Typically on football jerseys you see the name of the school or the nickname (in smaller font) above the number.  UND football incorporated the logo the best they could with it right below the neck line in the 2000's.  They also had the word "Sioux" on the shoulder of the road whites before the jackasses at the NCAA decided to get into the social engineering business.

They have always had the ND logo on the helmet for traditional reasons.  I agree it would have been awesome to have the logo on the helmet too but the tradition was the ND logo.

That logo is now gone as well.  So now they are placing the new ND logo on their helmet because quite frankly, they need something to put on there.

This notion that football didnt "embrace" the nickname and logo is simply not true.

Good post, though I will continue to complain about eliminating the interlocking ND symbol. I wonder if that logo will be treated like the others and be included in the Dacota Legacy collection.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

Makes me wonder why he deleted the tweet and did a 180 the next day, if so.    

Because athletic departments, by virtue of NCAA ca. early-2000s, are in the business of social-engineering. A business no one belongs in.

I would argue his 180 was a little facetious, leaving room for one to assume it was a 'forced' attempt at supporting the logo, evidenced by his picture. Also, if it came from Berry, it was forced as well, considering his current Twitter avatar.

Edited by ClassB
added last two sentences.

New Logo.JPG

I can tell you that it's not copyrighted yet, but the process was started. However feel free to put it on whatever you want ;) It was just a joke that turned hilariously popular. Edit: Feel free to put it on whatever you want (as long as I can have one haha)

Was driving south on University Dr in south Fargo at noon and saw on an electronic billboard an ad promoting UND broadcasts now on KFGO. The billboard ad had the new "Hawks" logo on it.

Absolutely. Hideous!  

To actually see it being used in an advertisement spread solidified how poorly this logo really is.

• Upvote 2

On 6/24/2016 at 8:06 PM, geaux_sioux said:

The sioux logo would have looked horrible on a helmet. Can't put a huge logo on the chest like hockey either. There were sioux logos on all sorts of things like workout gear and workout sheets and playbooks etc. The sioux logo just didn't lend itself well to being on a football uniform.

And the new logo doesn't really work for hockey uniform, even the font looks to futuristic, which I personally am not a fan of. As I said before by and large hockey, especially college hockey tends to go for a classic look, even as secondary logo this is not really ideal for hockey.Personally I don't think it will look that great for football, but we'll see. If they are smart they will be very cautious about how they use it for hockey, I would venture a guess that you would see jersy sales drop pretty quick if stuck this logo on the hockey jerseys. i have two fighting Sioux jerseys and i will be getting a UND jersey soon just encase thought. I think you may see a small rush on non hawks apparel in the July as people stock up before everything has the new logo.  However the silver lining is changing a logo is a lot easier than changing the nickname. HYPOTHETICALLY, it would take years to get the university to switch to a new nickname. However it may only take 1-2 years to introduce a different logo, especially if the first one performs poorly..

The current hockey national champions won in a jersey that had a number and "North Dakota" on the front. I suspect that'll stay that way for a couple years (with maybe a font change). 

That logo is not ready for a hockey jersey front quite yet. Shoulder patch, yes; front, no. 

18 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

I disagree... it's a horrible logo... and surprisingly substandard after the monster effort by many.  Let's rehash the 5 or so goals the new name/logo were to achieve... and then compare to what was received -- a failure from my (and most others) point of view.  I expect this corporate look will become secondary within 2 years or sooner.  Until then... a shiite sandwich that will be forced down with a smile and statements of new and opportunity. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, UND-1 said:

This just popped up on twitter:

Capture.jpg

:D  love it.  

Actually based on the current student participation rate at football games all it takes to sit in the front row is to show up. 

• Upvote 1

The new logo is showing up everywhere now. It does not look good compared to the others.... Way to rectangle. Still don't understand how an interim president gets to decide on a final logo. Maybe the next president will allow students to create a second and third logo that we all can agree on. 

image.png

9 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

The new logo is showing up everywhere now. It does not look good compared to the others.... Way to rectangle. Still don't understand how an interim president gets to decide on a final logo. Maybe the next president will allow students to create a second and third logo that we all can agree on. 

image.png

would you prefer this...

university-of-north-dakota-logo-und.png

so they think jost was a notre dame commit?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1