283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

30 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I'd have to watch it again, but that doesn't sound like how it went down when Brien talked on the Fighting Sioux documentary. Sounds like the school comissioned him to come up with three logos at $1,500 each and they'd choose the one they liked. But after he submitted the first one they loved it and felt they didn't need to see anymore.

Speaking of, when is that Unauthorized documentary coming out? Feel like I haven't heard anything for a while.

2 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Can you tell me who you are referring to when talking about "anti-hockey folks"?

I can't think of one person on here or otherwise that is "anti-hockey", but I guess I could be wrong.

Did hyperbole get the best of you here? 

I do respect the emotion and passion on the topic, but do not believe that anyone here that is a fan of The University of North Dakota is "anti-hockey". 

Geaux Sioux has gone out of his way to trash some from this program on this thread - a side of him I have never seen before.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Probably not considering he said "picked the name" referring specifically a singular one, Fighting Hawks. Swing and a miss by Drake on this one.

Thank you. The committee gave us a few names to choose from. The majority of people voted for Fighting Hawks....People voted for F-Hawks. A logo has been developed for F-Hawks. If you didn't know this type of logo was coming than you're living under a rock. Should've voted for another name. But hey, we're so far past that it's irrelevant.  Drake came after the same "idiots" who picked the name, aka your fellow students and now your fellow alumni.  Yo Drake, ** **** ********.  I'm starting to love Coach Bubba's mentality over every UND Hockey mentality that won't even move past Fighting Sioux. Sad! Be proud of who we are now and make a name for UND Fighting Hawks athletics. Remember, we're already Hockey Champions! New chapter!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TrueSioux2000 said:

People voted for F-Hawks. A logo has been developed for F-Hawks. If you didn't know this type of logo was coming than you're living under a rock. Should've voted for another name. 

Much truth.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I bet a lot of those you claim are "anti-hockey" have season tickets at the REA and spend a lot more money watching hockey than the "hockey-only" crowd spends at the Alerus or Betty.

Could be, but the football only group seems to think bashing student athletes or coaches who aren't as fired up as BUBBA about this new logo is just fine 

52 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I'd have to watch it again, but that doesn't sound like how it went down when Brien talked on the Fighting Sioux documentary. Sounds like the school comissioned him to come up with three logos at $1,500 each and they'd choose the one they liked. But after he submitted the first one they loved it and felt they didn't need to see anymore.

The Alumni Association commissioned him to do it, not the school. The AA gifted the art to the school at a later time.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

A cartoon bird with a headdress is what people were hoping for?

Actually yes. I think they could have used some variation of this concept logo as well as a variation of the logo they chose. As I mentioned in another thread, the concept art could lead the way toward a mascot, if that is something that the school wants.

You can call the concept art a cartoon. Some have called the logo that was chose a bank logo. There are issues with both options, if they were the only options in place. States the importance of having multiple logos.

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

The Alumni Association commissioned him to do it, not the school. The AA gifted the art to the school at a later time.

Which makes sense considering the new logo came out at the same unveil as the new Ralph which I'm sure went through the Alumni Association. I don't think Ben ever designed the "logo" to hang on some wall as art but knew all along it would be used in some sort of fashion as an athletic logo while designing it.

8 hours ago, tho0505 said:

So we accept mediocrity at UND?   I am so sick of people saying, "it could have been worse."  Statements like that are garbage. We should strive for the best looking logo that the community and state can be proud of.  We had an opportunity to create a beautiful logo as a school and move on from the Sioux logo.  Frankly, the school and president blew it . This logo from a sports, marketing, and design, looks completely mediocre and that's what's wrong.    No more excuses and justifications like, "no one would have accepted the logo anyways."

These two justifications are unacceptable for people who have pride and love UND athletics:

1. Could have been worse. 2. No one would have accepted it anyways (this is lie)

I don't think I said anywhere that we should accept this and never improve it.   But I think anyway who says it's the worst logo ever are not realistic (UNDBiz clarified that with his post of awful logos).   But just because we say "it could have been worse" doesn't mean we don't also want better.  I'm just trying to be objective.  

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hawk_On_ND.jpg

I actually like this

6 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

I have said before that I did not like the Brien logo when it first came out because it was not a true logo. Ben originally made it as a work of art and not as a sports team logo. When UND adopted it as a sports logo, I was less than thrilled for many reasons. It was too intricate with too many colors to easily identify and replicate as a true sports logo on caps, t-shirts and uniforms -- way too busy. Another less important factor, was the symbolism of looking backward. Some would argue that this was a nod to history but it also conveys a sense of entrenchment and backward thinking instead of moving forward. It seams that most of Ben's attempts at logos now have this left-pointing orientation. 

All that said, the logo grew on me over time as and I learned to love it and be proud of it because of the history and tradition attached to it and because it represented my alma mater. 

But not everyone was enamored with from the get go.

There are exceptions to everything obviously, but I would submit you were in a very small minority.  You simply can't compare the dislike if this new logo to any initial dislike to the Brien logo, and chalk it up to people not liking change, as Sic was  trying to do. Not even remotely in the same ballpark.

I think the issue here is not that you are a loyal supporter or not, a hockey fan or not, or a die-hard Sioux Forever person or not.

It's just that the logo is SO UNBELIEVABLY BAD. 

I could have embraced the Hawks and even bough some merchandise with a cool logo - but I never will and that does not make me a un-loyal alum. I just won't wear something that looks so stupid. 

And don't chastise people or players that complain. If the logo was a turd-on-a-stick would you not say something? Well this is a turd-on-a-stick if you ask me.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NoDakFan said:

Ehh not sure I'm big on this idea. I immediately thought of Hermes and his winged helmet. 

Never liked the NFL PHI helmet. It doesn't make sense.

The Rams? Sure. Horns on head.
The Vikings? Do the Vikes ever make sense. ;) But they do horns on head*. 

An eagles wings are on attached just above the eye? Uh, ... no. 

Give me the hawk head or the lettermark (that I made from the wordmark). 

*Yeah-yeah, historically vikings never wore horned helmets yadda-yadda ... 

1 hour ago, GeauxSioux said:

Yesterday the new logo was on the header at UNDSports.com  This afternoon the interlocking ND is there.  Was there a change of heart about ditching the interlocking ND?

EDIT: Never mind.  The new logo is back again.

Refresh your browser. It's a cached image thing.