283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

True or False:

The new logo could've been rolled out as a direct gift from the Almighty with the cure to cancer and the answer to middle east peace written on it and there would still be about 25% of people that would hate it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I talked to someone today that didn't like the new logo. I showed them my avatar. They liked that. I said it was cut from the logo. They didn't believe me. 

Are there folks out there so focused on the color foreground that they can't see the hawk in the negative white space of the logo? (This isn't a logo question; this is a vision and perception question.) 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

True or False:

The new logo could've been rolled out as a direct gift from the Almighty with the cure to cancer and the answer to middle east peace written on it and there would still be about 25% of people that would hate it. 

If it's not the Sioux logo people aren't going to like it.

58 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

The new logo is showing up everywhere now. It does not look good compared to the others.... Way to rectangle. Still don't understand how an interim president gets to decide on a final logo. Maybe the next president will allow students to create a second and third logo that we all can agree on. 

image.png

An interim president fired Brady Hoke and hired Jim Harbaugh, so, yea...

• Upvote 1

After a couple days, I still can't believe on the opportunity lost by the school, administration, and athletic department.  With a half decent logo, both Sioux forever fans and all fans would have been able to "heal" and move on.   Just give me a generic clip art hawk to wear. I am still at a lost of words how bad our corporate logo is.  

ScreenHunter_219 Feb. 28 17.58.jpg

9 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

An interim president fired Brady Hoke and hired Jim Harbaugh, so, yea...

Michigan didn't need an interim president to fire Hoke. That was a lay up. Apples to oranges. Hoke needed to be fired.

The school gave fans an opportunity to choose a name, but NOT a logo. One man chose the logo and it looks terribly ugly, even on the press conference tshirt he wore. Clearly this never went to a focus group of fans, else you would get 70% of people disliking the logo on the Herald website.  If anything was the most important decision it was the logo, NOT the nickname. I would take the Sundogs, Blizzards, or any other stupid name, as long as it has a half decent logo that we can be proud of. 

That's the problem, this logo does nothing for "moving on,"  and instilling pride in North Dakota. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

True or False:

Agree but 25% is too low an estimate.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

After a couple days, I still can't believe on the opportunity lost by the school, administration, and athletic department.  With a half decent logo, both Sioux forever fans and all fans would have been able to "heal" and move on.   Just give me a generic clip art hawk to wear. I am still at a lost of words how bad our corporate logo is.  

The new Brien bird needs some work too...starting with the "smashed-in" beak.

42 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

No offense to Brien, this needs a lot of work and I honestly don't like it very much.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

No offense to Brien, this needs a lot of work and I honestly don't like it very much.

It does need work, but the eye looks amazing.  The love the rigidness of the logo, for sure the beak needs work, but this type of logo could help ALL move on from the Sioux logo and this postal service logo. 

At this point, why would we nitpick Brien's logo? It would be a top ten logo in college hockey. Now we have a logo that doesn't even fit in in a group of logos. 

On June 22, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Northcountry said:

A real hit!  They managed to incorporate elements from the old Sioux logos in a subtle way and came up with a real winner. Three feathers like the Brien and Blackhawk logos and the "N" is a tribute to the Geometric logo.  It is as "Sioux" looking as could possibly be done and at the same time it is the new identity.  I was hoping that they could find a way to honor the past while moving forward and they hit it.  Roll out the merchandise.

Wtf?

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

The new logo is showing up everywhere now. It does not look good compared to the others.... Way to rectangle. Still don't understand how an interim president gets to decide on a final logo. Maybe the next president will allow students to create a second and third logo that we all can agree on. 

image.png

The more I see the logo next to others, the more I like it. I'd take it over every other NCAA logo here except St. Cloud's, and the majority of these NHL logos. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, tho0505 said:

It does need work, but the eye looks amazing.  The love the rigidness of the logo, for sure the beak needs work, but this type of logo could help ALL move on from the Sioux logo and this postal service logo. 

At this point, why would we nitpick Brien's logo? It would be a top ten logo in college hockey. Now we have a logo that doesn't even fit in in a group of logos. 

:huh: I just don't see it I guess. The eye is good but the rest is really not good (I've been trying to resist the urge to call it straight up bad out of respect for Bennet Brien, but....). I feel quite confident saying if SME had released the Bennet Brien logo and Bennet Brien released the clean SME logo, most of the complainers would be cheerleading the clean look. 

16 hours ago, tho0505 said:

Well I wouldn't say lost, adding a new logo is a much much easier process, one that they will probably start on a lot quicker if the new logo doesn't perform well. Despite Bubba's call to embrace the new logo, I doubt people are going to be running out in droves to buy gear with the UND post offi... er I mean the fighting hawks logo. People will likely rush to buy up non nickname apparel.

I almost want to believe the put out a logo they knew most of us would hate just so we would be focusing on getting a better fighting hawks logo, and not complaining about how much the new nickname sucks.

7 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

:huh: I just don't see it I guess. The eye is good but the rest is really not good (I've been trying to resist the urge to call it straight up bad out of respect for Bennet Brien, but....). I feel quite confident saying if SME had released the Bennet Brien logo and Bennet Brien released the clean SME logo, most of the complainers would be cheerleading the clean look. 

Well I think the thing to keep in mind with the Bennett Brien Hawk logo is that it is a just a concept, if they had hired him to do the new logo their would have likely be several more permutations before submitted a final design or designs. It would have been the same thing with the  other concepts submitted its likely that they would have made some adjustments to their original ideas. I think the Storrusten logo nailed the clean modern thing far better than SME did. As for the whole feathers thing... I honestly think that that in a few years it will be less of an issue then people think. But you could probably adjust the design slightly on the first logo to make it look like a wing and you'd be okay, as for the second one just remove the feathers (also tone down the agressive features on the eyes and beak).

fc966a32002813.567b6e9256974.png

fighting+hawks.PNG

On 6/23/2016 at 6:11 AM, UND-1 said:

Objecting to a new logo for his own university is "standing for what is right?"   :lol:   What a warrior.  He is coming off as an idiot if anything.

Melodramatic to be sure, though the fact that the university feels in needs to censor negative opinions by it athletes makes them look a bit pa

17 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

True or False:

I think if it had the cure to cancer 99% of people would accept it but they would still be asking God "why?" when they got to the pearly gates. Just like I"m sure most people ask   why mosquitoes were necessary and why Kevin Costner is so successful despite having no ability to emote.