283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Just now, ArchyAlum11 said:

Just checked it is unfortunately still there. They won't give up on it this early.

That's weird, maybe my cookies saved the old logo? Sometimes Chrome is smarter than our administration.... 

19 hours ago, WiSioux said:

Apparently I am in the minority, but I think that the second one is significantly better than the first one. I am not sure what it is, but I just don't like the first one very much. The second one, if you are the state out and give it less curve on the beak would be my vote.

Can anyone photopshop the top logo and add the beak and eye of Ben's latest hawk mockup, please? I think we are getting closer...

See  ScreenHunter_219 Feb. 28 17.58.jpg

• Upvote 1

I assume all have seen this, but worth posting.  Not that petitions really do anything, but who knows. Maybe this will spur the school into getting a real primary logo we can be proud of.  This current logo is an alternative logo at best. 

https://www.change.org/p/sarah-wallace-university-of-north-dakota-we-deserve-a-logo-with-more-integrity-strength-and-pride?tk=_7JCowxFY4ZOzL300ptuGrGtS8zA2gM3SbiSZcFMoOU&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, tho0505 said:

I assume all have seen this, but worth posting.  Not that petitions really do anything, but who knows. Maybe this will spur the school into getting a real primary logo we can be proud of.  This current logo is an alternative logo at best. 

https://www.change.org/p/sarah-wallace-university-of-north-dakota-we-deserve-a-logo-with-more-integrity-strength-and-pride?tk=_7JCowxFY4ZOzL300ptuGrGtS8zA2gM3SbiSZcFMoOU&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email

Change.org petitions: Slightly more effective than arguing on Facebook or posting forums. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

I think we are getting closer...

You may believe that, but almost assuredly what the final-final logo will be will look like a cleaned up and finished version of what was rolled out last week. I could be completely wrong (and completely surprised) but I don't see SME and the administration stepping away to something completely different. Why? Look at the usage already. 

Way to give it time and see the entire package.  Nope, fly off the handle after the first logo that is released.  :silly:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Unless they plan on getting donations to cover the $50,000 spent on this logo to start over and do it all over again, it ain't gonna happen.  Espcially considering the financial issues that UND is going through right now.  Give it time.  I already like it more today than I did last Thursday.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tho0505 said:

So in 3 days they have gotten 3810 signatures.  I would hardly call that a mandate.

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately all this does is keep it in the media. Anyone who voted for Fighting Hawks and signed that petition is a hypocrite. UND wanted a safe nickname and they got one, they wanted a safe logo and they got one. 

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Unfortunately all this does is keep it in the media. Anyone who voted for Fighting Hawks and signed that petition is a hypocrite. UND wanted a safe nickname and they got one, they wanted a safe logo and they got one. 

exactly!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So in 3 days they have gotten 3810 signatures.  I would hardly call that a mandate.

I have to imagine a lot of people who dislike the new logo feel like I do.

I truly do think it is hideous. I think some small improvements (like what some people on this board have done) would make a big difference. I also am way to sick of the nickname logo fight to go anywhere other than this message board to complain. Petitions, emails to the University ... they aren't often read or listened to, and frankly the administration isn't going to act on them. The last time there was an uproar about something, Kelly put No Nickname back on the ballot for a week or two then took it back off.

I'm tired of all of this. The new logo was going to happen, I just hope they make the necessary improvements and add another (BETTER) logo to the mix.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tangolou said:

I googled the team logos of the power 5 conferences and found that even though our new logo is not better than many of them, it's also  not worse than many of them. Fact is its what college logos look like. The problem is it's trying to replace a work of art. Imagine if UND spent $50,000 and rolled out Alabama's script A, Or Michigan's big M? Would that be any better? They seem to sell a lot of shirts..

I pointed that out a while back.  Imagine being Miami in the 1979 when the 'U' was rolled out.  That "logo" would be laughed back to the drawing board today.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tangolou said:

I googled the team logos of the power 5 conferences and found that even though our new logo is not better than many of them, it's also  not worse than many of them. Fact is its what college logos look like. The problem is it's trying to replace a work of art. Imagine if UND spent $50,000 and rolled out Alabama's script A, Or Michigan's big M? Would that be any better? They seem to sell a lot of shirts..

Or if the vote chose Crimson Tide as our new nickname and SME rolled out an elephant..... Could you even imagine the reaction?

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Or if the vote chose Crimson Tide as our new nickname and SME rolled out an elephant..... Could you even imagine the reaction?

Exactly, I'm not saying this is a great logo but it probably isn't as bad as it seems right now. Time will connect it to the university and it will be associated with the good things that come out of UND and it will be looked upon in a better light.

16 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I would say that's a bunch of signatures considering NO advertising or mass mailing has been done with it.  As has been mentioned by Mr Ed himself, that's a small percentage of the alumni population (over 100k).  Yeah, so what! If you emailed out that petition to all alumni and students that number would quadruple immediately.    Around 26k voted on the new nickname and it was a split vote.  I didn't vote for the Fighting Hawks, but I didn't complain as we as a body chose it.  This logo has been mishandled completely. 

The new Ralph will never be as good as the old Ralph ... 

The new (Brien) logo isn't the Blackhawk logo so it's no good*.

What changed for both? Time. Exposure. Experiences. 

*Contrary to what many will tell you, the initial reception to the Brien logo by quite a few was cool at best. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If 3 more green banners get hung up at the Ralph here in the next 5 years or so with the new logo on it, I think it will become more accepted by our fanbase!!

Winning doesn't cure boring. When my priority shipped box gets to my house on time, it doesn't mean I like the logo anymore!

• Upvote 1

Just now, tho0505 said:

Winning doesn't cure boring. When my priority shipped box gets to my house on time, it doesn't mean I like the logo anymore!

May I politely ask (you may choose to not answer) which nickname you voted for?