283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

The new Ralph will never be as good as the old Ralph ... 

The new (Brien) logo isn't the Blackhawk logo so it's no good*.

What changed for both? Time. Exposure. Experiences. 

*Contrary to what many will tell you, the initial reception to the Brien logo by quite a few was cool at best. 

I didn't like the Ben Brien logo at all when it was released. I remember thinking "What's wrong with the neck?" It was released at the height of the geometric logo popularity, which probably affected it's reception. 

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

*Contrary to what many will tell you, the initial reception to the Brien logo by quite a few was cool at best. 

Much truth here. Time and tradition are amazing antidotes for unpopular change.

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

May I politely ask (you may choose to not answer) which nickname you voted for? 

Absolutely, here was my top 5 of the 5.  I felt then and still do, the most important part of this process to move on was the logo. It is essential, especially for the Sioux Forever crowd, that a logo be selected that instills pride in the university and North Dakota. We could have been the Sundogs (although I really dislike that name) and had an awesome looking Husky that we could be proud of.   That where the passion for the Sioux comes from. A great logo and a name that North Dakotans are proud of.  In order to move past it, the school needed to pick a logo that mattered. 

Nodaks

Roughriders

Fighting Hawks

North Stars

Sundogs

• Upvote 1

79% of people on SiouxSports disliked the logo (C or below)

71% of people on the GF Herald website disliked the logo.

Hello administration?  Sure time changes things, but it doesn't change that our logo is subpar frankly. What could have been..

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The new logo is so BLAH, they could've just as well taken the Dove soap dove and colored it green

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Absolutely, here was my top 5 of the 5.  I felt then and still do, the most important part of this process to move on was the logo. It is essential, especially for the Sioux Forever crowd, that a logo be selected that instills pride in the university and North Dakota. We could have been the Sundogs (although I really dislike that name) and had an awesome looking Husky that we could be proud of.   That where the passion for the Sioux comes from. A great logo and a name that North Dakotans are proud of.  In order to move past it, the school needed to pick a logo that mattered. 

When the "Sioux" switched to the geometric logo, which was the single most boring logo ever, nothing changed with passion from the fans.  What would your reaction be today if they trotted that doozy out?  

7 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Nodaks

Roughriders

Fighting Hawks

North Stars

Sundogs

My contention, though, is that what makes a logo matter is what comes in the years and decades after it's released and not so much the "look" of the image. It's the "added value" of championships, shared heart-aches and favorite players who wore the logo and fought for us proudly on the playing field that makes these images something to be proud of.

6 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

"Dr. Kennedy, Mark Emmert on Line 1. Says it's urgent." ;)

Dude, I'm talking just logo design, not politics. (You knew that but just couldn't resist, could ya.) 

That geometric logo is everything that people say is wrong with this one: no color, boring, uninspiring, amorphous, etc.

Yet it's well regarded (dare I say loved) for some reason ... or another.

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Dude, I'm talking just logo design, not politics. (You knew that but just couldn't resist, could ya.) 

That geometric logo is everything that people say is wrong with this one: no color, boring, uninspiring, amorphous, etc.

Yet it's well regarded (dare I say loved) for some reason ... or another.

No, I couldn't. :D

2 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Neither was Brien's FS logo .... But it evolved in our minds as a great one -- dare I say a legendary one. 

Not sure how you think it wasn't a logo. It was almost the same logos as the last two sioux logos..."native head" facing left.

As pointed out it was designed to be the Sioux logo and the reason ben signed over its copyrights/trademark to UND.

7 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Not sure how you think it wasn't a logo. As pointed out it was designed to be the Sioux logo and the reason ben signed over its copyrights/trademark to UND.

It was too busy and intricate to be a logo as far as best practices in the industry goes. A lot of modifications had to go into making it workable as a logo compared to the piece of art that originally inspired it. Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but as a logo it had too much happening as far as colors and minute detail that made it harder to replicate on merchandise. What made it great was that it was an honorable extension of something we were familiar with and the pride and tradition that was inherit within it due to past exploits on the playing field. 

Honest question. Does anyone truly think the storm of the name and logo is done now because the logo was released? Have we forgot about 'The Unauthorized Documentary" that was Kickstarter funded? -- 

Going forward, once that is release (I can't wait) this topic of conversation will again be a HOT TOPIC.

Just wanted to provide a refresh for people, especially people on this board and the ones writing letters to the Grand Forks Herald etc. 

That is all.

-Sioux Forever 

2 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Honest question. Does anyone truly think the storm of the name and logo is done now because the logo was released? Have we forgot about 'The Unauthorized Documentary" that was Kickstarter funded?

Going forward, once that is release (I can't wait) this topic of conversation will again be a HOT TOPIC.

Just wanted to provide a refresh for people, especially people on this board and the ones writing letters to the Grand Forks Herald etc. 

That is all.

-Sioux Forever 

You may be vastly underestimating the amount of nickname fatigue out there. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Honest question. Does anyone truly think the storm of the name and logo is done now because the logo was released? Have we forgot about 'The Unauthorized Documentary" that was Kickstarter funded? -- 

That is all.

-Sioux Forever 

Nobody cares about the Sioux name anymore.  That is long gone off the radar.  Releasing that video now is white noise and IMO they missed their window for anybody actually caring.  

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You may be vastly underestimating the amount of nickname fatigue out there. 

I'm fully aware. There hasn't been any medium like this yet, though during the whole process that will fuel the conversation again. This will get more views and exposure and water cooler talk than anything else (protest, petition, letters etc.)

I know it's been a long/dragging process and "some" people are tired and ready to move on. However, just wait....