SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

7 minutes ago, krustyklown said:

WJC:  Boeser, Jost and whom else?

The only other player on the roster that is eligible for this tournament is Tomek.  Not sure of Slovakia's goalie situation, but you would imagine that a player that hasn't played a game in almost two years wouldn't be in contention for a spot.

10 minutes ago, Siouxman said:

I just saw in today's Fargo Forum that West Region tickets go on sale to the general public on December 9th.  I believe that it said online sales only.

I believe it's actually this Thursday, December 8th at 10AM.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=211250901

9 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

As it is the my favorite month...xmas and its bestie...the World Juniors, I was perusing team Canada's camp roster.  I watch a lot of WHL where I live, and I've certainly come to know who Carter Hart is.  For those who don't follow the dub, he is a super star goalie for the Everett Silvertips.  So far this year he is 15-3-3 with a .937 and 1.65 while pitching 4 shutouts.  Why should I care as Sioux hockey fan?  Well, he was drafted in the 2nd round by Philly in 2016...you got it..1 round earlier and 1 year later than Matej Tomek...Anyway, this Carter kid is likely to be Canada's #1 netminder for the tourney.  Let the speculation on the net continue...

I've been to 2 Tips games this year. Hart looked great in both games. Lost 2-1 in the first and had a nice shutout in the second. Looked a lot like Zane - rarely out of position and always square to the puck.

58 minutes ago, as15 said:

The only other player on the roster that is eligible for this tournament is Tomek.  Not sure of Slovakia's goalie situation, but you would imagine that a player that hasn't played a game in almost two years wouldn't be in contention for a spot.

Year and a half.

4 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I've been to 2 Tips games this year. Hart looked great in both games. Lost 2-1 in the first and had a nice shutout in the second. Looked a lot like Zane - rarely out of position and always square to the puck.

We're Tbirds fans- my kid plays SnoKing. PM me if you want the share about Seattle

On 12/5/2016 at 9:53 AM, as15 said:

From Schloss today:

Matej Tomek has been invited to Slovakia's World Junior camp. He'll head to Quebec after the Western Michigan series.

Good for him.  Would be awesome to see him get some playing time at WJC.

45 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Tomek gets playing time and out does UConn's Huska this will give him a boost.

It'll be interesting to watch the comparisons between the two. Huska and Tomek were born the same month and same year. Both from Slovakia (obviously). Both playing in the NCAAs. Just a year and a half ago, they both entered the same draft with Tomek getting drafted twice as high as Huska.

9 hours ago, cberkas said:

Tomek gets playing time and out does UConn's Huska this will give him a boost.

From what I hear he has a pretty decent chance at the #3 spot.  However him getting playing time will be pretty tough.  Huska is awesome and was the starter last year.  The backup is one of the top USHL goalies and a relatively high draft pick himself.  I hope Tomek at least gets to go.

8 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

From what I hear he has a pretty decent chance at the #3 spot.  However him getting playing time will be pretty tough.  Huska is awesome and was the starter last year.  The backup is one of the top USHL goalies and a relatively high draft pick himself.  I hope Tomek at least gets to go.

Tomek has more international experience, and would have been on the team if he didn't get his surgery done when he did. Nether goalie at UConn is getting it done Huska is .500 and the other guy is below .500.

Slovakia usually had a good team and I didn't hear anything about how they did last year.  

13 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Tomek has more international experience, and would have been on the team if he didn't get his surgery done when he did. Nether goalie at UConn is getting it done Huska is .500 and the other guy is below .500.

Slovakia usually had a good team and I didn't hear anything about how they did last year.  

Well, UConn isnt that great of a school.  Huska is a very good goalie and will be the starter.  Slovakia has been down for a bit now.

On 12/7/2016 at 10:59 AM, cberkas said:

If a goalie has a bad outing at the WJC he'll be pulled and replaced by someone else.

Very true.....and Slovakia will get crushed this year.  Maybe's always maybe.....but from what I hear he has a chance at the #3.  I'm honestly hoping he plays though.  Good kid.

• Upvote 1

At the break, the Hawks will have played 6 of the top 13 in the RPI, a handful without Boeser.  At this point, we sit at #6.   They have disappointed in a few games, including the MSU series, and it will be harder to make up ground with a softer second half schedule, but it's not been too bad a performance so far, considering the talent that left town. 

There is not a 5-1 difference between UND and WMU, though, so they have to put it together tonight. 

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Sure looked like there was from where I was sitting, WMU hardly put up a fight outside of the 1st period 

I hope you are right.   Their weakest link appeared to be in net. 

I just think Cam kept us in the game in the first and we got some long goals last night.   I have to say, though, that I think our coaches would be seeing red if our boys let down after getting behind as theirs appeared to do last night. 

Above and beyond St. Cloud State and the Saturday Gopher game, last night was a very impressive all around performance. Firing on all cylinders and a team that came to play for a 60 full minutes, only to show Andy Murray that when Western comes into our building we are very capable of asserting dominance. Hopefully that can be backed up with another solid performance tonight.

• Upvote 1

I hope Jost and Brock are able to play for their countries in the WJC.  First, because they're good hockey players who had lots of other options for places to play this year and chose us.  So I'll be happy for them and cheer them on.  Also...UND's coaches have always been outspoken in support of their guys going to the WJC.  That helps us get and keep these kinds of players.  The publicity for UND is huge.

• Upvote 3

Quick...........................................how many goals do Jost AND Boeser have combined so far in NCHC games to date?

..................................................if you bet the under with the line set at ONE combined goal between the two of them you are a winner.

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Quick...........................................how many goals do Jost AND Boeser have combined so far in NCHC games to date?

..................................................if you bet the under with the line set at ONE combined goal between the two of them you are a winner.

They didn't want to use them all up and get burnt out before the World Juniors.

• Downvote 2

Given the trivia question and answer above, (those last two guys are top five!?!?!?) I guess I'm not surprised at where the team is right now. 

Specifically, they are very young. Remember my "2, 5, 11, 8" question. (And if you're using that without my permission, I know who you are. ;) ) That's SR, JR, SO, FR on the current roster. 

Think about this: This team lost three guys who have played in the NHL this season! 

Am I disappointed in 9-6-3 at the break? Yes. Am I surprised? No.