SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Given the trivia question and answer above, (those last two guys are top five!?!?!?) I guess I'm not surprised at where the team is right now. 

Specifically, they are very young. Remember my "2, 5, 11, 8" question. (And if you're using that without my permission, I know who you are. ;) ) That's SR, JR, SO, FR on the current roster. 

Think about this: This team lost three guys who have played in the NHL this season! 

Am I disappointed in 9-6-3 at the break? Yes. Am I surprised? No. 

Good points, if we can manage a big Non-Con win against Union to put us at 10-6-3 with a healthy Boeser and Jost for the 2nd half I think we're in fine position.

The biggest enemy to this team is inconsistency right now so I really hope we start getting more of this past Friday night's team and seeing less of the Saturday night.

And now, because I know all the guys are waiting for this, here are the second half to-dos and expactations:

Boeser - just get healthy. I know you were hurt longer than anyone admitted. 
Jost - keep being you
Gersich - keep doing what you're doing; it looks like the game has slowed down for you; that means you understand it 
Wilke - dude, fuggidabowdit; you ain't scoring this year*; not happening; you're jinxed; "Noonan!" and all that; let it go, pass the puck** 
JJ - when did you get wheels: keep using them, they look good
Pogo - you're invisible some nights; I'd like to see you every night
Simonson - uh, too many mistakes for an upper classman; simplify your game;
Olson - it's ok to not play like a freshman for more than one shift a game
The Freshmen - It's second half; you're not freshmen any more; don't clinch up on me, but you must now play like veterans

Ausmus - you are showing senioritis; you are playing slow; that's no way to lead
T Poolman - I know you want to jump start this thing, but make sure the right guys are around you when you jump in the offense 
Wolanin - just keep progressing; but don't forget the defense (see advice to Pooly above)
Shaw - I can't believe I'm saying this, but get well, your puck moving skills are needed
The Freshmen - It's second half; you're not freshmen any more; don't clinch up on me, but you must now play like veterans

Cam - don't change what you're doing; they'll fix it in front of you
The Rest - be ready, " ... like a thief in the night ... " 

*overheard a great line this weekend about "couldn't score with a $20 in a two-dollar whore house". :D
**that's called reverse psychology ;)

• Upvote 2

For an at large bid from one of the top conferences, a team typically needs about 22 wins by selection Sunday.  Since we can't count on any wins at Target Center, that means the team needs to win about 11 of their final 17 regular season games plus the two first round playoff games.  Certainly possible.  I feel like if we can get in, we're going to be a tough at-large team playing in Fargo.

14 minutes ago, franchise said:

Are either expect back for the Omaha series? I'm guessing no.

Schloss wrote about it in his blog. Basically if they are in the gold medal/3rd place game the day before the Friday game, probably not.

However, if they get knocked out in the QF they'll have about 5 days between games. So start cheering for Finland, Sweden, Slovakia etc

• Upvote 1

Just now, iluvdebbies said:

I'm still not convinced that Boeser will be playing in the WJ tourney.

I'm not either. It sounds like they just don't know when it will be healed, and I am not sure USA hockey will take the chance it will be. I'm not sure how close he is to being healed either though. 

28 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

For an at large bid from one of the top conferences, a team typically needs about 22 wins by selection Sunday.  Since we can't count on any wins at Target Center, that means the team needs to win about 11 of their final 17 regular season games plus the two first round playoff games.  Certainly possible.  I feel like if we can get in, we're going to be a tough at-large team playing in Fargo.

To not make the NCAA tournament with this roster.........and having the West Regional in your own back yard would be an epic fail.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

And now, because I know all the guys are waiting for this, here are the second half to-dos and expactations:

Boeser - just get healthy. I know you were hurt longer than anyone admitted. 
Jost - keep being you
Gersich - keep doing what you're doing; it looks like the game has slowed down for you; that means you understand it 
Wilke - dude, fuggidabowdit; you ain't scoring this year*; not happening; you're jinxed; "Noonan!" and all that; let it go, pass the puck** 
JJ - when did you get wheels: keep using them, they look good
Pogo - you're invisible some nights; I'd like to see you every night
Simonson - uh, too many mistakes for an upper classman; simplify your game;
Olson - it's ok to not play like a freshman for more than one shift a game
The Freshmen - It's second half; you're not freshmen any more; don't clinch up on me, but you must now play like veterans

Ausmus - you are showing senioritis; you are playing slow; that's no way to lead
T Poolman - I know you want to jump start this thing, but make sure the right guys are around you when you jump in the offense 
Wolanin - just keep progressing; but don't forget the defense (see advice to Pooly above)
Shaw - I can't believe I'm saying this, but get well, your puck moving skills are needed
The Freshmen - It's second half; you're not freshmen any more; don't clinch up on me, but you must now play like veterans

Cam - don't change what you're doing; they'll fix it in front of you
The Rest - be ready, " ... like a thief in the night ... " 

*overheard a great line this weekend about "couldn't score with a $20 in a two-dollar whore house". :D
**that's called reverse psychology ;)

In regard to the freshmen, Gino Gasparini always used to say, "We've got to give them time to grow some whiskers." Well, hopefully by January, they'll need to shave.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sodbuster said:

In regard to the freshmen, Gino Gasparini always used to say, "We've got to give them time to grow some whiskers." Well, hopefully by January, they'll need to shave.

Gino also used to say the team needed to play with "Gusto!" 

Haven't seen much of that lately. 

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

To not make the NCAA tournament with this roster.........and having the West Regional in your own back yard would be an epic fail.

"This game was a microcosm of what next year will probably look a lot like.... "    This quote makes it sound like you aren't very high on this roster, without Boeser, because we have been without Boeser for a while now.  

Just now, tnt said:

"This game was a microcosm of what next year will probably look a lot like.... "    This quote makes it sound like you aren't very high on this roster, without Boeser, because we have been without Boeser for a while now.  

Is Boeser not on the roster this season?  Is he not a first round pick?  Same goes for Jost. Now if Boeser is out the rest of the season it's a whole different story. Those 2 won't be here next season which is where my comment came from in regards to Saturday.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Given the trivia question and answer above, (those last two guys are top five!?!?!?) I guess I'm not surprised at where the team is right now. 

Specifically, they are very young. Remember my "2, 5, 11, 8" question. (And if you're using that without my permission, I know who you are. ;) ) That's SR, JR, SO, FR on the current roster. 

Think about this: This team lost three guys who have played in the NHL this season! 

Am I disappointed in 9-6-3 at the break? Yes. Am I surprised? No. 

I had us at 12-6 at the break when I looked at the schedule. 5-0 start, 4-4 in next 8. 2-1 in next 3.

12-5 in second half is what I had projected....still think this a obtainable so that would have us at 21-11-3 to finish regular season.

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Too many offensive players/forwards that have been completely unproductive so far..........Wilkie, Gardner and Simo are 3 that stand out right now.  Feel free to add if you want.

Personally I feel like if we are thinking Simo is one of our offensive forwards, that's our first problem. I don't see it. Maybe it's just me. 

The problem is that the key to this season was the sophomore class taking a step forward and outside of Gersich that hasn't happened. We need one of Gardner, Wilkie or Janatuinen to take that step. 

This team reminds me of the 08-09 team at times. 

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Too many offensive players/forwards that have been completely unproductive so far..........Wilkie, Gardner and Simo are 3 that stand out right now.  Feel free to add if you want.

I'd spin it and say who has been productive:

Gersich and Jost consistently

Boeser when healthy

ill give Yon, Bowen, and Smith due to age and role.

Thats it other than a game or two here and there.

Pogo and Rhett need to consistently contributed a goal a game between them.

if we can get a goal a piece/ weekend on average from Boeser, Gersich, Jost, Pogo and Gardner and a goal per weekend from  the remaining 7 forwards, that is 6 per weekend, which should give us a chance to win without heroics on the backend.

add a goal per weekend from the D and we're in good shape.

as stated, our special teams are killing us right now...

I think our real problem is the quality chances we have been giving up and very, very poor special team play. You don't have to score five a game to win if you tighten up in other areas. Other year with Jackson coaching the kill it's been lights out, this year not so much. Special teams is effort and out working the other teams.

28 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I completely agree with your 3, and wouldn't add anymore due to the fact that I expected more from these 3 this season. I really thought Wilkie would have a break out season, but MAN was I wrong. 

For the defensemen: I have been disappointed with Ausmus' play. He seems stuck in one place forgetting to move his feet. He has had poor passing, poor shooting , and has been making bad reads on pinching over and over. He seems to be cutting corners with his skating and looks flat out lazy. Rounding corners and coasting around cross checking guys with his skates flat on the ice is not a good look for him. He has been a ghost on offensive production, which doesn't come as a huge surprise. He has produced on being an enforcer here and there but his unnecessary penalties has more than compensated for that.

The one player I am overall mostly disappointed with is...Wolanin. Last season I was very impressed with his composure and decision making and was very excited to see him play this year. Last year he knew his roll and played it, and showed to be a very consistent d man. He showed some offensive ability late in the season and showed to be a top dog this year as a returner IMO. But THIS season it seems like someone whispered in his ear that he needs to be the man, that he needs to do everything this season. I am willing to bet he has solely been responsible for over 50% of the odd man breaks. He has also been our worst D-man at finding shooting lanes and knowing when he has them or not. He needs to take a step back and simplify his game. He needs to cut his loses and realize that he doesn't need to be the shooter on every play. He is taking shots that are not there and he is stepping up when the play isn't there. All in all, his game is showing he is trying to do too much. He is taking "stepping up" the wrong way. 

19 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Personally I feel like if we are thinking Simo is one of our offensive forwards, that's our first problem. I don't see it. Maybe it's just me. 

Simo doesn't need to be a 30 point guy but seriously he has 1...ONE...point this season. To put it into perspective...Peski has 2 points.

• Upvote 1

Every morning I go to the ESPN site to check for sports news....across the top are NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA FB/BB, soccer.....no NHL...so I hit other...and there is the NHL, and about 20 other selections to include tennis, lacrosse , even the special Olympics....but no NCAA hockey....or as  even Ice Hockey....tell me it's more than a niche sport in the US....where does it rank with BIG TEN Schools.?..only important at places like RIT, Union, Quinnipeac, UND and such schools of higher learning....

Great to see UND doing well in the NCAA "mainstream sports"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 10