SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Northeastern // Mich vs. Notre Dame

AZSIOUX

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Has anyone seen NE play? I caught like a period and a half of the Beanpot game of theirs against BU.

Man, everyone on Twitter from the East is just burying the NCHC and UND. I love it. I love every bit of it.

I caught a bit of the game. I say let them all talk a big game. I hope it bites them in the A$$.

What I see (just numbers) about Northeastern:

- fewest PIM per game in HEA - if UND gets a power play it must capitalize
- best power play percent in HEA - UND needs to stay out of the box
- score early and more than one - NE'n doesn't appear to be a come-back team

Northeastern stats courtesy CollegeHockeyStats.net: 

Situational Records Overall    
Location    Home:    16    10- 5- 1    Away:    18    8- 6- 4    Neutral:    6    4- 2- 0    

End 1st    Ahead:    13    12- 1- 0    Behind:    16    2-10- 4    Even:    11    8- 2- 1    
End 2nd    Ahead:    21    19- 2- 0    Behind:    15    1-10- 4    Even:    4    2- 1- 1  

Margin    1:    13    6- 7    2:    7    6- 1    3+:    15    10- 5    

First Goal    For:    19    17- 2- 0    Against:    21    5-11- 5     

IMO UND struggled with consistent net front defense this past weekend.  Point blank redirects and put backs can't happen this coming weekend if Tampa is on the agenda.

UND, especially against UMD, seemed to ignore the middle 50% of the ice when transitioning from D to offense thru the neutral zone. That played right into UMD hands with their interference and clutch/grab tactics. DU played a little more wide open Saturday.

Friday's match up will be the test.  UND will bury either Michigan or ND

14 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Has anyone seen NE play? I caught like a period and a half of the Beanpot game of theirs against BU.

Man, everyone on Twitter from the East is just burying the NCHC and UND. I love it. I love every bit of it.

They play really hard and fast.  Like I said somewhere else, I think they will be vulnerable on counters.  You can tell that they are on fire as a team and believe. That's what makes them dangerous. Their backs have been against the wall that they're grizzled playoff vets already.  Maybe like some UND teams from the past they'll run out of steam.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I have no problem with what you said above as it was obviously well written and nostalgic, etc.  They do want nothing more than to win or they wouldn't be on the team.  

But, we read this same post every year, either before east coast team 'X' beats UND or after.  Regular season wins are great and its fun getting drunk at the Ralph with friends and family watching UND win another game.  UND has a great program and a loyal fan base.  

However, at what point does the team start to play for the current hockey program, the University of North Dakota, the current fans and current teammates, and stop trying to harness the "power of the Sioux name and it's history"?  It is quite apparent that the old nickname hasn't done much for them lately other than beat teams they should have and always have beaten.  

People keep referencing the old nickname and how much it means to the program.  The results don't show it making much of a difference and it's gone now so why keep using it as a source of inspiration - either the team or fans?   Honoring it and recognizing the past through media is one thing (and great), obsessing over it and keeping it front and center is another.  Time to live in the now and focus on the now.  They are the #1 seed and are playing a hot team.  Playing "Sioux hockey" (whatever that means these days) doesn't mean squat.  

With all that being said, I want nothing more than for them to win a national championship.  I have been a UND fan for 35+ years and have seen a lot of winning (and losing).  So I apologize for coming off negatively cause I am not against any UND team, ever.  

Go Sioux!

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree.  Their D didn't look very strong at all.  They have Roy and a couple other forwards but that's it.  As I noted previously, Roy can take over a game so stay out of the box and shadow him.  We should have this.

8 minutes ago, johnsowe said:

I have seen them play Harvard in Feb and watched the game against BC.  If you look at their sch they have not played anybody in the top 10 except for BC and UML. 

Harvard was top 10 nearly all year, I think,  which would make three.  How many top 10 teams did UND play this year?

39 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I caught a bit of the game. I say let them all talk a big game. I hope it bites them in the A$$.

Absolutely. Agree 100%.

31 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

IMO UND struggled with consistent net front defense this past weekend.  Point blank redirects and put backs can't happen this coming weekend if Tampa is on the agenda.

UND, especially against UMD, seemed to ignore the middle 50% of the ice when transitioning from D to offense thru the neutral zone. That played right into UMD hands with their interference and clutch/grab tactics. DU played a little more wide open Saturday.

Friday's match up will be the test.  UND will bury either Michigan or ND

I don't think it was for lack of trying. Duluth had three at the red and we couldn't get rolling through the middle. Had to dump and stay wide and boy did they plug up the middle again when we did get in. I'd expect that NE won't have that kind of D. I could be wrong, but UMD is a great defensive team, IMO.

33 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They play really hard and fast.  Like I said somewhere else, I think they will be vulnerable on counters.  You can tell that they are on fire as a team and believe. That's what makes them dangerous. Their backs have been against the wall that they're grizzled playoff vets already.  Maybe like some UND teams from the past they'll run out of steam.

I think we play pretty hard and fast, too :) .... For a team that's hyped up and ready to take down Goliath (a bit tongue in cheek since they are somehow the "favorites" to beat us, by everyone out east) we can beat them deep while they are looking for offense.

I've noticed that a lot of their top players have played with some of our boys.  Odd how their guys are doing well statistically whereas ours (LJ, Gersich) have had slightly sub par years.

LJ and Ladue played with Roy and Zach Aston-Reese.  It appears Reese was a lower line player while playing with LJ at Lincoln.  Also, Nolan Stevens played with Gersich on the NTDP squad.  Again, Gersich appears to have had a bigger role.  Funny how things play out.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

What I see (just numbers) about Northeastern:

- fewest PIM per game in HEA - if UND gets a power play it must capitalize
- best power play percent in HEA - UND needs to stay out of the box
- score early and more than one - NE'n doesn't appear to be a come-back team

Northeastern stats courtesy CollegeHockeyStats.net: 

Situational Records Overall    
Location    Home:    16    10- 5- 1    Away:    18    8- 6- 4    Neutral:    6    4- 2- 0    

End 1st    Ahead:    13    12- 1- 0    Behind:    16    2-10- 4    Even:    11    8- 2- 1    
End 2nd    Ahead:    21    19- 2- 0    Behind:    15    1-10- 4    Even:    4    2- 1- 1  

Margin    1:    13    6- 7    2:    7    6- 1    3+:    15    10- 5    

First Goal    For:    19    17- 2- 0    Against:    21    5-11- 5     

That first goal stat stands out to me big time. Jump early, jump often, step on the throat.

Northeastern reminds me of UND teams in the past that started out slow and took off after January.  We all know how dangerous those teams have been.  I don't think UND is looking past them at all.  But they deffinitely have to bring their best (goes without saying).  Might be one of the best 4 seeds in the tournament that there has ever been.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Watched about a period of their championship against Lowell. When I was watching I noticed Northeastern is pretty passive on their PK and I think that is when our PP has been most successful this year so if they play it that way Friday that could be a big advantage. I also think if the Gardner-Johnson-Poganski line is playing well Northeastern will have no answer for their play along the boards. Here are some highlights of their championship game from youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaSjmEeVlyI

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

Watched about a period of their championship against Lowell. When I was watching I noticed Northeastern is pretty passive on their PK and I think that is when our PP has been most successful this year so if they play it that way Friday that could be a big advantage. I also think if the Gardner-Johnson-Poganski line is playing well Northeastern will have no answer for their play along the boards. Here are some highlights of their championship game from youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaSjmEeVlyI

Good youtube video to post, thanks SiouxScore.

A few things that I noticed right away:

- 1st goal was nice but seemed like one pass too many that luckily got by the defender

- Not a fan of that fly-by knee down celebration the Northeastern player did at :33

- 1st goal let in by Northeastern was weak, let's see LJ score from some bad angles

- 2nd goal by Umass Lowell was weak as well, put a bunch of shots on this goalie

- Seems like their goalie is their weak point (27th in GAA at 2.258 and 45th in Save % with a .912)

In summary, let's light the lamp on these guys :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, burd said:

Harvard was top 10 nearly all year, I think,  which would make three.  How many top 10 teams did UND play this year?

From Jayson's game notes. vs. nationally ranked opponent ...........................10-4-0