SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Northeastern // Mich vs. Notre Dame

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You cannot have watched what happened at Target Center and not be just a little bit concerned.

The Friday game was a loss to a good team, take away the bad angle goal that Cam will let in once in his college career and you have a completely different game and maybe outcome. No one in the NCHC will be surprised if Duluth is in the FF4 or in the championship game. You cannot convince anyone that the Denver game Saturday was anything more than both teams showing up because they were told to be there. Neither team gave more than 75%. Go Sioux!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, runaroundsioux said:

By the way, for all you Nattering Nabobs of Negatism. Check out the teams NU beat in their epic,historic,hottest team in college hockey run. Mostly little sisters of the poor more than the Titans of College Hockey. 

We lost to Wisconsin. We're good and all but....

35 minutes ago, mattim said:

The Friday game was a loss to a good team, take away the bad angle goal that Cam will let in once in his college career and you have a completely different game and maybe outcome. No one in the NCHC will be surprised if Duluth is in the FF4 or in the championship game. You cannot convince anyone that the Denver game Saturday was anything more than both teams showing up because they were told to be there. Neither team gave more than 75%. Go Sioux!

There were plenty of calls that were not made either.  I turned to the guy next to me and said, NCHC wants 4 teams in the tourney, its showing by the lack of penalties against UMD.  I agree about the DU game.  There is no need for a 3rd place game, oh wait, unless you are the last team in like 3 years ago. 

1 hour ago, runaroundsioux said:

By the way, for all you Nattering Nabobs of Negatism. Check out the teams NU beat in their epic,historic,hottest team in college hockey run. Mostly little sisters of the poor more than the Titans of College Hockey. 

Look who they had to beat last 2 games to win though?  Not a team to take lightly.  I mean, if we want to call a spade a spade, team loses 2 to DU, beat Mav on way down,  beat WMU and CC, then lose to UMD and tie DU.  So not like UND was beating the best of the league to get where they were.  Just made hay when sun was shining.

2 hours ago, SiouxTupa said:

They played 4 in a row against Maine in a non-playoff situation. That's interesting. But they did get the job done!

Hi, I'm also an eastern pilgrim, though much more of a lurker out there than HHound. Here too for that matter.

Couldn't help but to sign up to clear up the above - the first two games were the last two of the regular season. The second two games were the first round of the HE tourney.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, sameoldfury said:

Hi, I'm also an eastern pilgrim, though much more of a lurker out there than HHound. Here too for that matter.

Couldn't help but to sign up to clear up the above - the first two games were the last two of the regular season. The second two games were the first round of the HE tourney.

Hey, thanks! And welcome!

I'm going to keep very busy until Thursday night but I have this NU game on my mind all the time it seems. I can't wait to see Schmaltz and Boeser in the tournament. I think they might carry the team. I just wish our PP would catch fire like Duluths a few years back when they won it all.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Hhound said:

I am a visitor from the East.

First of all Northeastern is "NU" not "NE".

I don't know what message boards you are reading, but we, who  post on Dieharddogs.com, do not consider us to be a favorite. We have a ton of respect for UNDs program and hockey traditions. I loved your Kelly green Sioux unis. Thought they were the best in the land. Big loss :>(.

Let me clear up a couple of things about the NU hockey team. To begin with, we have three good scoring lines and a fourth line that can both check and score the odd goal. The defense is greatly improved from the past and is aided by some serious fore and backchecking by the forwards. The goalie's figures are skewed by the terrible, and I mean terrible, start the team had. It took about 12 games before he got his first win. The team finally came together in Belfast at Thanksgiving. Since then his GAA is well below 2.00 and his save % is well above 9.20. He has given up 4 goals once and three goals twice in the past 23 games. The goals he gave up against UML came on a perfect shot and then a deflection off our defenseman's stick. His game has improved meaningfully since the fall. Interestingly his GA (including the early difficulties) is a full goal lower than he had with Des Moines last season. Who expected that? Kudos to our goalie coach.

The best we can hope for is that we come up with a way to blunt your offense and can spend enough time in the O zone that our forwards can work their magic. We'll be thrilled if we can get past you. We'll cross the Michigan bridge when we come to it.

Good Luck!

Welcome Hhound.

Curious, does your goalie know his girlfriend's pregnant?  If not, someone should tell him on, say Friday morning.   :D

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I also have lost some of my enthusiasm for this team and season, but they aren't out of it yet.

Way to hedge your bets. Set it up perfectly for an "I told you so" if UND doesn't make it out of the regionals but left one foot on the bandwagon just in case...

It's been a fun season, with results that far exceeded expectations in the regular season. I'm not ready for it to be over, nor are the players or staff and I'm not going to let a game against a good team that was playing for its life or another where neither team had anything to play for change that. Time and time again, UND has shown it doesn't matter whether they limp into the tournament or come in red hot.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Yeah after checking Twitter for the HE trolls (@easternbias), I hope NCHC sweeps. Idc if we have to play UMD, Duluth, or SCSU, let's shut them down! 

"@easternbias: Terrible screw job by the committee to not set up the possibility (let's be real, likelihood) of a BC, BU, NU, Harvard Frozen Four"

what a !@#!$!.

10 minutes ago, ClassB said:

Yeah after checking Twitter for the HE trolls (@easternbias), I hope NCHC sweeps. Idc if we have to play UMD, Duluth, or SCSU, let's shut them down! 

"@easternbias: Terrible screw job by the committee to not set up the possibility (let's be real, likelihood) of a BC, BU, NU, Harvard Frozen Four"

!@#!$!.

Here's to meeting St. Cloud or Denver in the Frozen Four, and hopefully meeting Duluth in the championship.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sameoldfury said:

Thanks, and welcome! I should have guessed, it just seemed early. I wasn't familiar with how the 12-team conf sets up the tourney.

I want to see if this UND team has developed the grit necessary to win NCAA tournament games.  It's been a pretty smooth season thus far.  Relatively easy non-conference schedule where they did what they had to do.  Cruised at or near the top of the conference standings all year, and secured an NCAA berth, and #1 seed, early.  We've yet to see this team participate in a game they had to win.

NU, on the other hand, has basically played "win or go home" games since the first of December.  That kind of pressure, and success, even if done against average competition, can build a pretty strong team.

I am hopeful the experience of our juniors and seniors will summon the ability to play with urgency that is necessary in the NCAAs.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I want to see if this UND team has developed the grit necessary to win NCAA tournament games.  It's been a pretty smooth season thus far.  Relatively easy non-conference schedule where they did what they had to do.  Cruised at or near the top of the conference standings all year, and secured an NCAA berth, and #1 seed, early.  We've yet to see this team participate in a game they had to win.

NU, on the other hand, has basically played "win or go home" games since the first of December.  That kind of pressure, and success, even if done against average competition, can build a pretty strong team.

I am hopeful the experience of our juniors and seniors will summon the ability to play with urgency that is necessary in the NCAAs.

How often are teams really put in "win or go home" games before the NCAAs, though? Two years ago is the only team I can think of in recent memory.