SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Northeastern // Mich vs. Notre Dame

AZSIOUX

Pretty small fav for a 1 vs 4. The must really like that hot streak Northeastern is on.

Northeastern vs North Dakota - NCAA Hockey Championship - Midwest Regional - US Bank Arena - Cincinnati, OH - ESPNU
Fri 3/25   101 Northeastern   +1½ -230  +130   o5½ -120       
2:00PM   102 North Dakota   -1½ +170   -170   u5½ -120 

20 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

All comes down to Cam Johnson in my opinion. If he keeps the softies out then this team wins and moves on to another game. The Sioux will put up 4 goals I believe and that should be enough. Hopefully it is.

I agree, I think we'll score 4 or 5 too.

4 minutes ago, Hhound said:

I am a visitor from the East.

First of all Northeastern is "NU" not "NE".

I don't know what message boards you are reading, but we, who  post on Dieharddogs.com, do not consider us to be a favorite. We have a ton of respect for UNDs program and hockey traditions. I loved your Kelly green Sioux unis. Thought they were the best in the land. Big loss :>(.

Let me clear up a couple of things about the NU hockey team. To begin with, we have three good scoring lines and a fourth line that can both check and score the odd goal. The defense is greatly improved from the past and is aided by some serious fore and backchecking by the forwards. The goalie's figures are skewed by the terrible, and I mean terrible, start the team had. It took about 12 games before he got his first win. The team finally came together in Belfast at Thanksgiving. Since then his GAA is well below 2.00 and his save % is well above 9.20. He has given up 4 goals once and three goals twice in the past 23 games. The goals he gave up against UML came on a perfect shot and then a deflection off our defenseman's stick. His game has improved meaningfully since the fall. Interestingly his GA (including the early difficulties) is a full goal lower than he had with Des Moines last season. Who expected that? Kudos to our goalie coach.

The best we can hope for is that we come up with a way to blunt your offense and can spend enough time in the O zone that our forwards can work their magic. We'll be thrilled if we can get past you. We'll cross the Michigan bridge when we come to it.

Good Luck!

I think everyone here is referring to the Hockey East writers...go check Twitter and you'll see what everyone is talking about.  I know NE (haha) is a good squad...obviously.  But I still think if we can stay out of the box and our goalie shows up we should do just fine.  If we can contain Roy we should come out on top. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Hhound said:

I don't know what message boards you are reading, but we, who  post on Dieharddogs.com, do not consider us to be a favorite. We have a ton of respect for UNDs program and hockey traditions. I loved your Kelly green Sioux unis. Thought they were the best in the land. Big loss :>(.

Let me clear up a couple of things about the NU hockey team. To begin with, we have three good scoring lines and a fourth line that can both check and score the odd goal. The defense is greatly improved from the past and is aided by some serious fore and backchecking by the forwards. The goalie's figures are skewed by the terrible, and I mean terrible, start the team had. It took about 12 games before he got his first win. The team finally came together in Belfast at Thanksgiving. Since then his GAA is well below 2.00 and his save % is well above 9.20. He has given up 4 goals once and three goals twice in the past 23 games. The goals he gave up against UML came on a perfect shot and then a deflection off our defenseman's stick. His game has improved meaningfully since the fall. Interestingly his GA (including the early difficulties) is a full goal lower than he had with Des Moines last season. Who expected that? Kudos to our goalie coach.

The best we can hope for is that we come up with a way to blunt your offense and can spend enough time in the O zone that our forwards can work their magic. We'll be thrilled if we can get past you. We'll cross the Michigan bridge when we come to it.

Good Luck!

WELCOME!

- Haha I don't think any of us did this as a slight, btw. I know I didn't. We evidently are just fond of directions here in North Dakota :)

- We all appreciate your sentiment about the Sioux logo. We all miss it, dearly.

- As for your fanbase considering them being the favorite, I am just telling you what I've seen on Twitter. I'm sure it's an even split. Nothing wrong with being confident as I know our fanbase is.

- Most, if not all of us, are going off of stats. So, I for one, appreciate the clarification. You guys are as about as hot as it gets.

- Last point, outside of maybe BC, we are the best team defense that NU has seen during this 23 game stretch. I have no doubt in my mind. If you can beat us, it will because you found a way to beat us to the slot and won battles down low.

Good luck to you and your fans! Can't wait for Friday. Cheers.

47 minutes ago, Hhound said:

Good Luck!

Thanks for stopping by; hoping for a very entertaining game on Friday. Definitely a cool story to make the run that NU has made after that start. Shows what coaching and talent can do when it all comes together.

I love hearing from opposing fans, welcome Hhound! Teams that come in on that long of a winning streak are often the ones that run out of steam. That's a ridiculous run, but it does remind many of us of some Sioux teams over the past decade. It's quite the Jeckyl/Hyde season.

My big concern is how many open looks we've given teams over the last month or so. Open guys in the slot have burned us. I'm hoping it hit its peak at the DU series last month, but it hasn't gone away completely. Now that the games are do or die, I'm sure we'll see harder back-checking. The good thing is that we've played a couple solid defensive teams after several weeks against weaker ones.

Personally, I think I'm more excited for this first round game than I have been in a while. NU is definitely not your typical 4-seed (that's probably not a thing anymore.) Given that it could be a toss-up, this will be a fun one!

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, SiouxTupa said:

I love hearing from opposing fans, welcome Hhound! Teams that come in on that long of a winning streak are often the ones that run out of steam. That's a ridiculous run, but it does remind many of us of some Sioux teams over the past decade. It's quite the Jeckyl/Hyde season.

The obvious exception being Union 2 years ago.  I think they hadn't lost since early February or something the year they won it all.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, keikla said:

The obvious exception being Union 2 years ago.  I think they hadn't lost since early February or something the year they won it all.

True, but they were also at or near the top of the polls all year, and didn't start the season 1-12.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxTupa said:

My big concern is how many open looks we've given teams over the last month or so. Open guys in the slot have burned us. I'm hoping it hit its peak at the DU series last month, but it hasn't gone away completely. Now that the games are do or die, I'm sure we'll see harder back-checking. The good thing is that we've played a couple solid defensive teams after several weeks against weaker ones.

Personally, I think I'm more excited for this first round game than I have been in a while. NU is definitely not your typical 4-seed (that's probably not a thing anymore.) Given that it could be a toss-up, this will be a fun one!

I'm afraid you may be correct. There's no evidence that we're running out of steam - yet, but statistically the odds of extending the streak get longer each time we take the ice. We're bound to lay an egg sooner or later or just have a bad run of negative puck luck. We had a bit of that vs. Lowell.

Our defense has been so porous for so long that the pundits have found it easy to pick on them. They are much better as individuals have matured and the rest of the team has taken responsibility and done their share. Kevin Roy (pronounced Wah) who came to us as an offensive wizard has learned to play a 200 foot game. In turn, this has helped the goalie to progress to the point where he is pretty good - not all-world - but good enough that the players believe in him and play confidently in front of him. We lost one of our more offensive Ds with a broken finger Friday night. Fortunately we got another one back, also from a broken finger, and there was a very slight dropoff.

Another thought occurred to me. One poster commented about how the Huskies couldn't overcome opponents early leads ("chase the game"). During the first 10-12 games we were absolutely terrible, especially in the first period. Our returning goalie was simply awful. He lasted les than 10 minutes against the Goophers (maybe less than 5 minutes) and was pulled after giving up three black marshmellows. The team scored something like 4 goals in the first period during that run. Of course we fell  behind and we lost every one of those games! Since Thanksgiving things have been radically different. We've been more concern with holding leads. BTW, Against BC on Friday, our goalie gave up a softie  after 15         seconds. We then scored four of the next 5 goals and never trailed again. BC never scored until they picked up two in garbage time to make the game look closer than it was.

I know our kids are having the time of their lives. Your team has been where they are. You don't really want to spoil their fun, do you?:wink:

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You cannot have watched what happened at Target Center and not be just a little bit concerned.

Keep in mind that there was not a lot to play for. This is not an excuse but it is a reality. It is hard to get up for games against team you have played five times each, when you already know you will be a top seed in your regional next weekend. I also bet Ladue would have played Saturday if this was a Regional game.

I noticed a lack of urgency last weekend. I would be willing to be we do not see that this Friday.

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You cannot have watched what happened at Target Center and not be just a little bit concerned.

I watched both games. It happened the last two years and we went to the Frozen Four both weekends following. Of those three teams, this one is FAR AND AWAY the most talented. I don't understand.

What happened in MPLS this past weekend? UND lost to a team who had everything to lose in a game that realistically meant nothing and tied a team when both really didn't care to be there.

I saw parts in both games that we played very well and with it now being one-and-done, I'd be surprised to see anything less than our best.

• Upvote 3